Page 9 of 133 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

It's good to know I'm not the only salvager out there

I have an AMD K6/II 350MHz with a whopping 192Mb RAM and 4.3G HDD, running DSL just fine. It's just a backup computer though. First it had Kubuntu, now DSL and I'm thinking about putting Xubuntu on it (need to stay in the ?ubuntu family .

Right now I'm trying to transplant my home server from an Athlon XP1700 into a Celeron 677MHz. The Cely is sitting in a rare Cognac micro motherboard that's maxed out at 128Mb RAM (very temperamental motherboard, only accepts certain single sided RAMsticks...), it has an 8GB HDD with Kubuntu 6.06 on it. Had to chuck a network card in and it's burning up the tarmac apart from the PCI PATA card issue I'm having with it

I'm also building a media PC (that's why I need the Athlon XP1700 procy ) that will have 256Mb RAM and 200Mb HDD. Not sure about the distro yet... Still have to look into MythTV.

My desktop PC is a new dual-boot AMD 64 - I love PC games so I sadly need XP... but find myself spending 90% of the time in my new shiny Kubuntu Feisty Fawn.

Sometimes I still boot up my old Amiga500, C64 or Cplus4. Nothing beats some good old-fashioned gaming Also I'm always on the lookout for my all-time dream computer, a ZX81 (probably won't put any OS on it, 1K RAM would be a tight fit even for Puppy, although I'm sure someone will try (or have tried?) to build a Linux box based on a Z80 processor)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sunflower1970 View Post
    Lol. I admit to being very, very, very proud of my old machine. I did put a bit of work into it, and it was my first real experience with Linux...I even painted the case of it from this weird grey-ish purple color to black.

LOL, I painted one of mine also. Black just gives it a more modern look, but I Painted accents with silver "hammer" paint. Thats the pant that doesn't dry smooth, but has a hammered metal texture.

I have Dell Pentium II 350mhz, 256 ram, 4.3 HD . I found this jewel beside the road where someone had placed it for trash pickup.. The windows 98 was corrupted and it wouldn't boot up.

I loaded Ubuntu 7.04 on it to see what would happen. I little slow, but completely usable. I'm down loading Xubuntu as we speak.

I plan on using this system to run my Christmas lights.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by vwbeamer View Post
    I plan on using this system to run my Christmas lights.
    To run your Christmas lights?
    Interesting..
    Out of date specs.
    Linux #448948 Ubuntu #15780
    P4 HT 3.37GHz, 2.5GB PC2-5300, Radeon X1550, 250GB SATAII, 250GB IDE | Asus Eee PC 1000 Eeebuntu 3

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I think ill win this battle. I got an old old apple II the original apple 2 and it still runs on it. I play orgen trail on it alot.
    Member of Clan Orb
    I like my madness: it has a thrill in it, unknown to such sanity as yours."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by OrbJinzo View Post
    I think ill win this battle. I got an old old apple II the original apple 2 and it still runs on it. I play orgen trail on it alot.
    lol, my friends family had one of those when they first came out. I played Castle Wolfenstein on it for so many hours one night that my vision went all blurry/weird . Had to love those old monochrome monitors!
    Dissing other peoples choice of OS is unproductive. Use what works best for you.

Beans

I just loaded Xubuntu on my Dell P2 350 mhz 256mb 4 gig hdd.

Works pretty good, posting from it now!

Free hardware and free software!!!!

Xubuntu is pretty cool, even has some cool effects for the desktop under settings>settings manager>window manger tweaks>compositor.

If you have two windows open on your desk, you can make the one behind be translucent
    and the one on top will have shadows so it looks like it's floating. Wish they had this in the reg Ubuntu.

Beans

I had to laugh on seeing this post currently I have a mixture of about 15 old laptops I am repairing laying around my apartment ranging from 233 to 1000 MHz pentiums with a lacking range of ram call me nuts but I believe I can make the little suckers work and some of them I have my own machines are this one a Dell c610 laptop a Compaq EvO D500 Desktop and my number one is one I built myself from new parts ( got enough of the old stuff here to build a few ) which for the current moment still has XP on ( but not for very much longer!) Ubuntu feisty and Fedora 7 on the Evo and Feisty on my laptop I have noticed on the older Compaq (armada) that I had trouble with installing Ubuntu but Xubuntu went along well one I have here an old Northstar had xp on it amazing the damn thing even ran...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I really enjoyed reading this thread. It is funny that the original laptop that started it is similar to one that I am running now.

I have an Toshiba Satelite 2590 CDT with 128MB RAM.

I scavenged the hard drive for putting in into a portable enclosure (5 GB) and decided to simply run SLAX linux live CD on it. I have to say that it has been great reading the posts on this topic. I will definitely continue to look for old hand me downs knowing that there are a lot of others doing the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Kowalski_GT-R View Post
    I did search a bit on this forum and on you tube,

has anybody succeded in running Xubuntu alternate on something similar to a 166MMX pentium w. 64 MBs?

Secondly: are Puppy and Damn Small friendly to Linux-inexperienced users?
    I run DSL 100% in RAM - no installation yet.
    I installed Puppy on a USB flash drive (2 GB). Using "Install", I dowloaded OpenOffice Cutdown and OpenOffice Missing. Everything worked like a charm.
    They are both extremely friendly - no terminal use required.
    DSL has an automatic installation icon for hard drives - it would certainly work on your computer.
    I don't think you can install Puppy on a hard drive easily - you would have to google it and follow instructions. It does have different booting parameters though and you can save your personal settings to a hard drive and continue to boot from CD. This is what I did for a 1 GB hard drive. Your Puppy-save file can be enlarged with time, so start small - maybe 300 MB and leave room for copying files for a faster boot time. Later, if your save file is too small, the system will ask you if you want to enlarge it providing you have room left (but you can't make it smaller!) or you can enlarge it at any time before powering off. (Go to "Utilities"...)
    These two distro's are perfect for computers with less than 256 MB of RAM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I had been meaning to post in this thread, but hadn't gotten around to it until now.

I received a hand-me-down laptop, that was my sisters.

System specs:
    -Pentium III 600Mhz
    -64 Mb Ram
    -6GB hard drive
    -8 MB video card
    -2 usb ports
    -Swapable DVD-Rom and Floppy
    -1024x768 screen

When I initially got it (before I got into linux) It was SO slow on win 98 that it just went under the bed for about a year. I got it back out recently and loaded DSL on it, and it ran pretty well.

Then my friends laptop mobo died, and he gave me 2x256mb sticks of ram.

So the laptop is now running Debian Etch with fluxbox, and has a 48 second boot up time (without X). The laptop shares a USB wireless card with my desktop.

After using the laptop, I liked Etch+fluxbox so much that I installed it on my (not crappy) desktop
    -P4 3.0 Ghz
    -1GB RAM

The installations are basically mirrors of each other:
    Internet Browser - Iceweasel+Dillo
    Email - Sylpheed
    Word Processor - Openoffice
    MP3 Player - Orpheus+MOCP
    Chat - Centericq+Irssi
    Terminal - Aterm
    File manager - Emelfm+PCmanfm
    Image editing - Xpaint+Gimp+imagemagick
    Calculator - Qalculate
    Bittorrent - rtorrent
    Misc - Conky+htop

My favorite feature is that I can pick a directory to randomly set a background on each boot. It's nice to have variety.

I have been so impressed with this laptop, it's really unbelievable. I think it's funny that I've mirrored by laptop setup on my desktop, as now they are nearly identical.

My only complaints are that Youtube videos are really too much for this system
    In fact, according to conky, Youtube videos account for 30% of 3Ghz (on my desktop).

Also, if anyone knows how to disable 'find' from running every day, I would like to set it to run once per week. I don't have *that* many cpu cycles to spare.

Here is a screenshot of aterm and conky in action:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Atreus12; July 8th, 2007 at 02:21 PM.

Page 9 of 133 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast