Page 52 of 133 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast

Thread: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

How much new hardware will you be putting in the Classic!?
    You can't seriously expect to run any sort of Ubuntu on an m68k, and by ripping out the CPU you defeat the purpose of having the Classic.
    You can still after all get a Linux distro (really old version of Debian) for the m68k that will probably run on the Classic.
    As for the G3 Macs, just put DebianPPC on them or something, Ubuntu is too much.
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zmjjmz View Post
    You can't seriously expect to run any sort of Ubuntu on an m68k, and by ripping out the CPU you defeat the purpose of having the Classic.
    You can still after all get a Linux distro (really old version of Debian) for the m68k that will probably run on the Classic.
    As for the G3 Macs, just put DebianPPC on them or something, Ubuntu is too much.
    You can run an up-to-date version of Debian for an m68k machine, although it is not an official build. See here: http://www.debian.org/ports/m68k/ The last version of Debian where m68k was an official build was Debian 3.1 aka Sarge.

If you are more adventurous, you can run other distros such as Gentoo on your m68k. Gentoo would probably result in the greatest number of packages being available to you (as you just get source tarballs and compile, which is largely platform-neutral) at the expense of a very long compile time due to the extremely slow processor in the Mac Classic. m68k is not an officially supported arch, so the installation procedure is a little more in-depth than your average Gentoo install and a whole ton more in-depth than your average Debian or Ubuntu install. However, it's most certainly doable as myself and others have run Gentoo successfully. If you want to look at Gentoo on an m68k, here is a good link: http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t...57d2f54b145137
    Desktop: X2 4200+, abit KN8 SLi, 4 GB DDR-400, ATi HD 3850, 1324 GB of HDDs, Dell SP2309W and 2001FP
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E5400, C2D T7250, GM45, 2 GB DDR2-800, 80 GB HDD
    HTPC: Duron 1600, ASUS A7N8X-E, 1 GB DDR-400, 600 GB of HDDs, PCI GF6200

Beans

Hi, my first post here. Anyway, I just got an old laptop for free yesterday and it had no bootable OS, so of course I put Ubuntu 8.04 on it!

So this thing has:

376.5 Megs of RAM (not bad, it was definitely upgraded here!)
    Pentium III processor (I think 700 MHZ)
    About an 18 GB hard drive
    One old USB port
    Two of the PCMCIA card slots, came with a Ethernet card in it. Has Ethernet built in but port seems to not work.
    AND a Windows 2000/NT Work Station 4.0 sticker

When I first installed it, Ubuntu kept freezing randomly. Now I've reinstalled it and am updating it so maybe it will fix the bugs. I hope, because the laptop works great other than that, it even has a DVD drive! I'll actually use this thing a lot since it is my only laptop.

By the way it is a Compaq Armada E700.
    Last edited by cat5e_; August 8th, 2008 at 05:55 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

The latest m68k Debian didn't meet the build requirements, but yes, I run Debian on my Mac Classic. I produce all my packages on my nearby Core 2 Duo via my Cross Toolchain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

How well does it run?
    I may convince someone into giving me a Mac Classic (unlikely).
    2010 IBM Thinkpad 510, 4GB RAM, i5-540M, NVS 3100M

Running Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

How well does it run?
    I may convince someone into giving me a Mac Classic (unlikely).
    You can find them on eBay for $30-100 if you really want to play with one.
    Desktop: X2 4200+, abit KN8 SLi, 4 GB DDR-400, ATi HD 3850, 1324 GB of HDDs, Dell SP2309W and 2001FP
    Laptop: Dell Latitude E5400, C2D T7250, GM45, 2 GB DDR2-800, 80 GB HDD
    HTPC: Duron 1600, ASUS A7N8X-E, 1 GB DDR-400, 600 GB of HDDs, PCI GF6200

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Im going to replace all the hardware, and I will as soon as I find a 9" screen to go with the hardware.
    It had a problem with it when I got it so it didnt work, from what I read it was a problem with the ram
    BRING BACK TEH PONIES!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cunawarit View Post
    I have a Compaq iPaq 700 Celeron

Like this one:

A whole £20 from Ebay, plus some cheap memory, a whole 512MB! And a couple of free CD drives from work that were going to go in the bin... Not bad, it is still a fairly usable little PC for light web browsing, word processins, emailing, and managing remote servers.

Currently running Debian Etch with Fluxbox on it. Will give Puppy a try sometime though.

PS: Or was it £15? I can't remember...
    i ordered one of these, but i cannot get the network adapter to work with any os i have tried (geexbox and ubuntu). have you had any similar problems?
    Last edited by markp1989; August 16th, 2008 at 08:14 PM.
    Desktop:i7 875k|4gb OCZ platinum ddr3 2000|Evga P55 LE mobo|OCZ RevoDrive 50gb|ATI 5850 Black Edition|Silverstone FT02|corsair tx650
    Portable: 13" Macbook Pro 2.8ghz i7 16gb RAM | Asus EEE TF101 | Samsung Galaxy S2

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hello all,

i got a super speedy....ahem. tosh tecra 520cdt running 160meg ram, 40gig hd,cisco aironet wifi and xp woohoo (and yes it does have the metallic sticker saying it was designed for 98. Anyway trying to get ubuntu on it and grub bailed on me so i run DSL (which ran out of the box and installed perfectly including grub!, but would love to upgrade it to a psuedo ubuntu.
    Machine 1: Tosh Tecra M2 - XP
    Machine 2: Tosh Tecra 520cdt - DSL 4.4.4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I met this random girl one night at Coles (supermarket chain) We were chatting while shopping then I found out she had to walk across town in the pitch black that night, so I gave her a lift, we chatted at her house for a while then when she found out I was into computers, she went into her room and emerged with an old IBM think pad.

She told me she had no use for it, so I might as well have it.
    I was shocked! Free laptop from a random!! Its a bit slower than my normal laptop (700MHz apposed to duel core) but it runs Ubuntu 8.10 a dream!
    BRING BACK TEH PONIES!

Page 52 of 133 FirstFirst ... 242505152535462102 ... LastLast