Wow! Finally people who may see my computer as a POWERHOUSE!!
Sony Viao PCV-R545DS
maxed out with 256MB Ram
originally a 20GB HD, but I've upped it to 80GB
- Edubuntu 6.10 (I share it with the kids, will update after I backup the system and .deb packages).
- Gnome for Desktop (installed and used, but not lately, Xfce)
- Removed OpenOffice and replaced with Abiword and Gnumeric (also trying KOffice)
- Firefox for browsing (Opera is bloated and crashed, Epiphany is nothing spectacular, if there is any speed benefit, which I don't see, it is overshadowed by Firefox's solid, stable feel)
- Thunderbird for email
- Kino for Digital Video editing (sort-of works)
- I have Blender, but haven't fooled with it yet
It does fine for the usual stuff/activities
- kid's games (gCompris, Childsplay, etc.)
- Web browsing and Email (dial-up a bigger slow-down)
- mild Image manipulation (Gimp, Krita, etc.)
- Video watching (downloaded only, nothing streaming or online)
- iPod management (Banshee and gtkpod)
- Website design/management (do not have Apache running on system though)
- I have Monodevelop installed with this grand idea of fooling around with Mono at home since I work with .NET at work.. but Monodevelop has not enticed me enough and now I'm thinking of switching to NetBeans and try developing/teaching myself Java
If everything works out and I get a system from work that is powerful enough, I would like to install Edubuntu server on the new system and use this one as a thin client! We'll see.
BTW.. it's sad when my maxed out RAM is what a friend of mine has on his Video Card alone! Or when somebody pulls out a PDA with specs better than this desktop (someday my kids will pull out their PHONE more powerful than this system!!!)