Page 13 of 133 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

I have a Clamshell g3 iBook, wich I bought from a friend. It came with Mac OS 9, and only has 3GB of storage, which sucks, but it runs Xubuntu just fine, even with the transparency effects stuff, and I only upgraded its RAM from 128 to 256 megs. It's Awsome

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Jgrapham ...good luck!

With DSL i had to mess around a lot with sound, usually got it working but it was tough.

Ubuntu can be slow, and bloated and it doesn´t include ndiswrapper or any codecs, but it´s stable and it has dang good hardware detection. And there are many many forums threads and ubuntu wiki articles on getting sound to work so I´m hoping you´ll be ok

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by byrdmeln View Post
    Jgrapham ...good luck!

With DSL i had to mess around a lot with sound, usually got it working but it was tough.

Ubuntu can be slow, and bloated and it doesn´t include ndiswrapper or any codecs, but it´s stable and it has dang good hardware detection. And there are many many forums threads and ubuntu wiki articles on getting sound to work so I´m hoping you´ll be ok
    Thanks, no sound (despite editing three files like some web page told me too) and now the programme which makes my USB modem work wont start! oh well, back to my desktop for 3 weeks untill I can be bothered to have a go at it again :] (still, what do you expect from an 8 year old laptop)
    My home page

Member of the Esoteric Order of LaRoza - Resistance Is Futile.

Beans

I recently picked up an old Armada 100s Laptop. 550mhz AMD K6 w/ 192mb RAM.

I got it for a song and gave it a new paint job.

I have been installing Ubuntu 7.04 and Automatix for the last 4 hours. Once it is all installed/configued, she'll be a solid little machine.

I am using a PC Card for Ethernet right now. Plan on picking up a cheapo wifi card tomorrow...

Check out the pic. It is much slower than it looks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aristotlewilde View Post
    I recently picked up an old Armada 100s Laptop. 550mhz AMD K6 w/ 192mb RAM.

I got it for a song and gave it a new paint job.

I have been installing Ubuntu 7.04 and Automatix for the last 4 hours. Once it is all installed/configued, she'll be a solid little machine.

I am using a PC Card for Ethernet right now. Plan on picking up a cheapo wifi card tomorrow...

Check out the pic. It is much slower than it looks!

That's a nice machine. I can imagine how slow it is because my first computer had very similar specs, however it is a desktop. You could boost performance a bit by adding a new hard drive (a 5400RPM drive makes a difference when compared to a 4200RPM).

Just a suggestion.

Joe.

Beans
    Hidden!

Dell Inspiron 2500
    256MB of RAM
    10 HD
    Intel 24-bit SVG
    16x CD
    Floppy
    PIII 973MHz Processor
    Battery that doesn't last more than about 45 seconds.
    Last edited by Frak; July 18th, 2007 at 06:56 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by joe.turion64x2 View Post
    That's a nice machine. I can imagine how slow it is because my first computer had very similar specs, however it is a desktop. You could boost performance a bit by adding a new hard drive (a 5400RPM drive makes a difference when compared to a 4200RPM).

Just a suggestion.

Joe.
    You speak the truth! I'll add a new drive eventually. It took me literally 5 hours to get through Ubuntu Install and Automatix (part way thru Automatix that is). I plan to run XFCE, but installed Ubuntu for easier Samba Support.

Beans

You speak the truth! I'll add a new drive eventually. It took me literally 5 hours to get through Ubuntu Install and Automatix (part way thru Automatix that is). I plan to run XFCE, but installed Ubuntu for easier Samba Support.
    You monitored it! You've got patience. When I installed something 'fancy' to the machine I used to leave it alone and go out for a long while (in that time I didn't have the laptop so I had anything else computer-related to do meanwhile.

Joe.

Beans

Ok, so I definitely want to use GNOME, but what can I disable to gain a little speed?

Beans

Ok, so I definitely want to use GNOME, but what can I disable to gain a little speed?
    I don't know why but most distros I have tried (Ubuntu included) run useless/unnecessary daemons by default (WTF is a bluetooth daemon doing in my machine when it does not have bluetooth?). You can check in Desktop -> Administration -> Services.

Perhaps XFCE fits well on that lappy though (it is Gnome based but much more lightweight).

Joe.

Page 13 of 133 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast