Page 12 of 133 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast

Thread: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Man View Post
    Really, that's pretty cool. Mine came with 256 MB RAM, and a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz processor. Haven't done anything to it, because I can't find compatible memory for it. I'm so sad.......

And how do you get over a thousand viruses on one computer? I would think it would either blow up or refuse to start up.....
    That's weird. I put a few different types of RAM in mine and it works fine. Try SuperTalent maybe? I bought a 512MB stick at one point and it ran nicely.
    I have no idea. My friend did it, it basically stopped working that's why I got it. I let it start up.. for like 10 minutes lol then half ran I think it was either Clamwin or Spybot and just gave up. Removed a few things that I wanted an reinstalled. Windows XP unfortunately. Later it got Ubuntu & now Debian =)

Quote Originally Posted by raul_ View Post
    I think that 1GB for a server is kind of a waste. 512 or even 384 would do
    Yeah, I might end using it for other things at the same time. It's all just an idea at the moment.
    Out of date specs.
    Linux #448948 Ubuntu #15780
    P4 HT 3.37GHz, 2.5GB PC2-5300, Radeon X1550, 250GB SATAII, 250GB IDE | Asus Eee PC 1000 Eeebuntu 3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by xdarkxanarchyx View Post
    That's weird. I put a few different types of RAM in mine and it works fine. Try SuperTalent maybe? I bought a 512MB stick at one point and it ran nicely.
    I have no idea. My friend did it, it basically stopped working that's why I got it. I let it start up.. for like 10 minutes lol then half ran I think it was either Clamwin or Spybot and just gave up. Removed a few things that I wanted an reinstalled. Windows XP unfortunately. Later it got Ubuntu & now Debian =)

Yeah, I might end using it for other things at the same time. It's all just an idea at the moment.
    Lucky you. According to that website I posted says it takes RDRAM. I did a search for it.... it's old, and expensive by the looks of it. Like, $100 for one 128 MB stick. That's crazy......
    Gandhi once said: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world."
    So you want a separate /home partition?|Ubuntu World Map|Linux IS NOT Windows

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Happy_Man View Post
    Lucky you. According to that website I posted says it takes RDRAM. I did a search for it.... it's old, and expensive by the looks of it. Like, $100 for one 128 MB stick. That's crazy......
    Ouch, that sucks.
    I just remembered.... That processor is in my other machine. I have a Celeron 2.60GHz in that one.
    Out of date specs.
    P4 HT 3.37GHz, 2.5GB PC2-5300, Radeon X1550, 250GB SATAII, 250GB IDE | Asus Eee PC 1000 Eeebuntu 3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I'd like to know how you did that? Mainly because i'm a student and Telewest raped us this year. Paid a fair bit for 10Mb internet and it's average is more like 1Mb.

I regularly did a pathping and every time i was getting around packet 97% failure at the 2nd hop (the streets router i guess). Always felt like trashing it with petrol just so they'd do something about it and fix it. Oh well, got a few weeks left of internet before i have to go isp shopping again.

I wont list all the problems we`ve had in the 16 months or so we`ve had the services but suffice to say theres been a few.If your own bb service is as bad as that though then you should have been on the phone to them months ago

They charge for support calls now so always make sure it`s not your own hardware before you call.If it turns out to be a genuine problem then you`ll get the cost refunded.The best thing to do before calling is plug your modem directly into a Windows machine....they might also try and blame it on spyware and stuff though so just tell them it`s a fresh install to shut them up.

No point even calling up if your using Linux(it`s not in the script) and if your using a router they`ll only try and blame that.
    By rights if your 10Mb service is as low as 1Mb then something should be done about it but if you let them fob you off on the phone then your as well just sacking them right now.

Loads of people are having problems since VM upgraded the 10Mb to a 20Mb service and many of us would rather just have the relatively stable 10Mb connections again.This obviously is`nt an option though.

Most of our own problems were long before any upgrades and were mainly down to "Billing issues".Every month there would be some sort of **** up on their part but the final straw was when they took two lots of the £129 bill out of our bank last November....then denied it(at first)
    That got us our first free upgrade from the 1Mb stb to the 4Mb sacm but they also left the stb connection on as part of the deal ... i`d told them i needed to add more pc`s and could probably get a free router with other isp`s as well as less problems.

My most recent call was in connection with the latest speed problems.When we signed up last year it was our first computer/internet connection and i didn`t have the slightest idea about broadband speeds and all that stuff so as long as it was ON back then i was happy enough.

Of course,that was then and this is now.
    We have the infamous NTL120 modem which in itself has caused enough debate since the so-called upgrade.Although i`ve seen 2000Kb/s out of it i`ve never seen the full 20Mb and like many others it`s more often than not down at 5-6Mb......and thats without the stm thats also part of the deal now.
    Anyway,the latest guy run through his scripts & tests and after 45 Minutes of changing setups and swapping pc`s etc he concluded that i did indeed have a problem but he admitted that VM were still in the process of upgrading the network blah blah blah.
    I then allowed him to talk me into staying at half price for the next 3 months

My XL bb bill this month is only £13 so it seems they cant even half the bill without making a mess of it.I mean half of £37 is £18.50 is it not??

If we hadn`t had the problems we did then i might well still be using the 1Mb Set Top Box connection.
    Problems have actually been very beificial to us since sitting down with our first computer/internet connection
    last year.....the more we have the better things get for some strange reason

EDIT..S**T...i rambled a bit there...sorry
    Last edited by xpod; July 12th, 2007 at 10:33 PM. Reason: doh
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans
    Distro

I have a tough but aged...

Panasonic CF-72 Toughbook, Pentium 3 at a speedy 700 Mhz
    A high 20 Gig HD and 256MB of ram.

However it runs Ubuntu 7.04 well dual booting with (yuk) Windows 2000. I know I need to just do it and dump windows 2000

Friends do not let friends run Vista !
    Billy in Sugar Land Texas USA,
    Xubuntu 10.10.1 on my Dell Mini 9
    Ubuntu 10.10 on the Dell

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Friends do not let friends run Vista !
    Too late
    http://ubuntuclips.org/videos/4

For the lazy readers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I'm rocking a dell dimension 4300s.

p4 @ 1.6ghz (not ******)
    128mb (kills me)
    40gb hd
    ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF @ 64mb

Overall it's unusable in my experience using any 'buntu distro including xubuntu. So I always do a CLI install and then install X and Fluxbox. Using fluxbox allows me to comfortably use kazehakase, gaim, abiword, thunar, and a couple terminals. Xmms kills my system's ram so I can only use it by itself, same for vlc.

I enjoy building my system from the base up because it's quite easy and allows you to trim alot of the excess.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pitbull11188 View Post
    I'm rocking a dell dimension 4300s.

p4 @ 1.6ghz (not ******)
    128mb (kills me)
    40gb hd
    ATI Rage 128 Pro Ultra TF @ 64mb

Overall it's unusable in my experience using any 'buntu distro including xubuntu. So I always do a CLI install and then install X and Fluxbox. Using fluxbox allows me to comfortably use kazehakase, gaim, abiword, thunar, and a couple terminals. Xmms kills my system's ram so I can only use it by itself, same for vlc.

I enjoy building my system from the base up because it's quite easy and allows you to trim alot of the excess.
    Have you tried any of the command line players? Since I have a large collection i find that randomplay works nicely, but there's a bunch of others. You can just use like mpg321
    Code:
     mpg321 /music/A*/Arch*/*/*
    Same with using ogg123
    Code:
    ogg123 /music/D/Depeche*/*/*
    Out of date specs.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I have an old ibm thinkpad i1200

500 mhz Celeron
    196 megs ram (which is maxed out)
    6 gig hard-drive
    cd-rom drive about to give up the ghost

The biggest pain about the computer is the monitor which can only display 800x600 max, and a lot of ubuntu´s windows barely fit on the screen (I have to turn auto hiding on the task bars so i can click ok on most option windows). I´ve run ubuntu, kubuntu, mint, pclinox, mephis and fedora successfully though they were a little on the /cough slow side. DSL and Puppy fly on the machine, making it almost new-like, but had to install onto hard-drive cause of the failing cd-rom drive and they can become a pain then. Tinyme worked very well on the machine, but still buggy and it had no usb-stick support making ndiswrapper a pain. So I´m using Xubuntu. It´s not the fastest, or the prettiest, but it´s stable--no worst then windows 98 in speed--and it just works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Currently installing xubuntu on my IBM stinkpad 600.

I have a bad feeling I'll have no sound, as I never did in puppy or DSL, but I live in hope. (any Ideas)

P.S.
    300Mhz P2
    2MB Graphics
    2.2GB HDD
    228MB RAM
    Battery which never lasts more than 30mins!(in XP)
    CDROM drive
    My home page

Member of the Esoteric Order of LaRoza - Resistance Is Futile.

Page 12 of 133 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast