Page 111 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,110 of 1327

Thread: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Beans

Re: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Quote Originally Posted by raul_ View Post
    Hey!

All of you who own one of those pc's or laptops that came with a sticker saying "Designed for Windows 95", (ok that's pushing it, mine says Windows 98 ) this is the place for you!

I actually own a pretty recent Desktop (two years) that supports Beryl and such..but the darn monitor died on me, and I had to run for my until now hobby 8 year old laptop. I started recovering it for the fun of it, I actually spent a little too much money on it buying a new battery and RAM chip (you wouldn't believe how expensive old parts can be) and right now it's running surprisingly fast!

I can do all of the basic stuff, I can even play media from my ipod! (My music is stuck in my desktop) Of course that doesn't make much sense, since I can use my headphones...Anyway, the only thing this baby can't do well is watching videos (Youtube videos get choppy) but I even got to enable some transparency for show off it's only for the screenshots though...

Here are my specs:

8 year old Toshiba Satellite 4060CDT
    128MB RAM
    333Mhz
    3,7GB HD
    Trident Graphics card
    Ubuntu Feisty Server running Fluxbox (i had 3 WM installed at once, last week )

This is supposed to be a place where we share applications/solutions meant to be light and responsive on an old computer. This is one of the many reasons why I love Linux: your computer doesn't have to be top notch to run a fully up to date system.

You can also share Window Managers, Distributions, anything you want

Right now I'm using Galeon/Seamonkey as the Web Browser, and they are really responsive. Galeon spends a little more RAM, but it renders pages much faster, and it's very responsive, and it uses my GTK theme, so that's a bonus.

As a file manager I chose PCManFM, and I just love it. It's very very responsive, and the interface is very intuitive, it's a bit like Thunar.

MSN Client: Pidgin. It's hard to find light graphical MSN clients. Now or then I use centericq though, but I actually don't need to. Since i trim down in everything else, at least I can spend something in my messenger, and Pidgin is not a hog at all.

Media Player: every once in a while someone will send me videos in msn, and I use xine to watch them (xine-ui package), and I use XMMS for my music, but I don't use them much.

Right now, conky marks 57% RAM used with a web browser, a file manager, and a messenger client running, and my system is not laggy at all!

Cheers
    That's very similar to the configuration I have.

If you don't know what the AMD 50x15 project was, do look it up. I have a low-spec low-cost PC that they were distributing as part of the project. It was supposed to be priced at US $100. It has 400 MHz AMD Geode processor, 128MB of RAM, a 10 GB hard disk that I recently upgraded to 160 GB and is now sitting on my LAN as a web server box. I'm attempting to make this host a Wordpress Installation, but can't get past the login page since there is hardly any free RAM left (about 4 MB).

I'm running a sort of stripped down installation of Ubuntu Desktop 9.10 on it. I started out with the desktop installation because the server installation discs for v. 8.04 that I had didn't seem to like my shiny new IDE drive all that much. After doing the install I booted into single-user mode and removed all the gnome packages, but I guess there is still some programs that are running happily away.

The reason I did this was because, there was some problem with disk-detect in that version which meant that disks on Solaris machines weren't being detected either. So after many many failed attempts over the course of a day and a half, I gave up and installed the desktop edition hoping I cut off some of the fat from it and make it run faster. It boots much quicker now than it did with AppArmor and all those things, but I guess it just isn't enough to serve up a blog or two.

Anyway, I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this, or am I just hoping for too much and I should move on to a better machine, putting this back in a box and or giving it to a museum of computer history 40 years from now.

An alternative solution would be to find a lightweight CMS that a configuration on the same lines as mine would be capable of supporting. If you do know of any such CMS, do let me know. Also, I have many many blogs out there on the web on many hosting providers. If you've heard of the blogging platform, I've got it: Tumblr, Blogger, Wordpress.com, are just a few. If this CMS in question has some support for importing content from these websites, that would be very helpful. Thanks.

Beans

Use antiX Linux. It works great on this computer, a 2001-vintage IBM Netvista desktop with a 1.0 GHz processor and 256 MB of RAM. It also works great on my older computer, a 2000-vintage Dell desktop with a 467 MHz processor and 384 MB of RAM.

antiX Linux is lightweight, has a superior repository (Debian compatible), and is user-friendly. Other distros can match or even beat antiX Linux on one or two of these criteria, but none can on all three.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

thanks, you've all made me feel better about owning a pentium 4 with 1GB of RAM and a GF4 Ti4200.
    I had to do it.

Beans

I have an old Sony Vaio laptop, Athlon 4 1.0 GHz, maxed out at 512 Mb RAM, 20 Gb hard drive. I was running Lucid UNE on it, which left it running well but with lots of swap file and maxing the RAM often. I upgraded to Maverick -- but Unity, the replacement for UNE desktop, never loaded. I've downloaded it with Synaptic and through Terminal, but nothing I *know* to do is working.

Up front, I'm a perennial n00b. I've tried various Linux distros through the years but never got into Terminal or shells except when someone tells me what to type. I've been very happy with Ubuntu since I started using it at Hardy... but this machine has been somewhat of a trial.

Right now it's running GNOME Desktop. I like GNOME. It has always worked just right for me, and it continues to do so now. I tried Xubuntu back with Lucid, and the desktop kept dropping out; I'm just not convinced XFCE is all there yet, or maybe it doesn't like my computer.

OK. Under Maverick GNOME, my RAM is fine, my swap file is almost unused -- but with nothing but Firefox running (3 tabs), my processor is running at 90-100% full time, which often leads to long lags or even lockups.

I don't trust XFCE, I can't seem to get Unity, I've never tried Lubuntu (recommendations welcome)... besides going back to Lucid UNE or Karmic UNR, what would you recommend? OK, including going back to Lucid UNE or Karmic UNR.
    Every time I hear the word "Progress" my fur bristles!

Beans

Try slitaz linux. It's debian based so sort of like ubuntu. It does have some differences. If that runs on your computer it is super fast. Smokes ubuntu. But it's not ubuntu so i just have it on a usb stick to use in emergencies.

Chris
    Kinda lost my love for ubuntu, more changey than Vista or Win8
    So LMDE it is for me until there's a way to update my distro and not
    have everything disappear.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Well, my computer falls under the "crappy" category, not necessarily the "old" though.

It's a Dell Mini 10v netbook with a 1,6 GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, Integrated Graphics, Broadcom wifi. Ugh. This is all my parents would buy me, lmao. Being 15 and not having a job sucks. Currently runs Ubuntu 10.10 OK, but really slow. I'm currently downloading SliTaz to see how that works. I hope to God that the wireless works. Maverick was the first ubuntu release since Jaunty to work out of the box with this thing.
    Blog|Twitter|NO FACEBOOK

Beans

Sorry for bumping, but here goes-

Macintosh Wallstreet Powerbook G3

32mb RAM

2GB HDD

CD-Rom drive

Mac OS 8 (dont know how to get linux on old world mac)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TriBlox6432 View Post
    Well, my computer falls under the "crappy" category, not necessarily the "old" though.

It's a Dell Mini 10v netbook with a 1,6 GHz CPU, 1GB RAM, Integrated Graphics, Broadcom wifi. Ugh. This is all my parents would buy me, lmao. Being 15 and not having a job sucks. Currently runs Ubuntu 10.10 OK, but really slow. I'm currently downloading SliTaz to see how that works. I hope to God that the wireless works. Maverick was the first ubuntu release since Jaunty to work out of the box with this thing.
    Why don't you try one of the Netbook Distros, like eeeBuntu/Aurora, or EasyPeasy?
    ASUS X202E - Intel Core i3 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB Seagate HDD

Beans

GigaG, have you tried Mint or Peppermint? Both are Ubuntu-based, the main difference being the Peppermint leaves all your apps on the cloud rather than loading them to your computer. For cloudless activity, Lubuntu or Xubuntu might manage it, but I'm pretty sure Xubuntu needs 256 Mb in its current version.

If you don't want to go there, I'm not sure what to do -- that's not a lot of memory. Puppy? Of course, if you want to get into the nuts and bolts (in which case, why are you posting to the n00b group), I'm sure you could get an old copy of Slackware or Mandrake/Mandriva.
    Every time I hear the word "Progress" my fur bristles!

Beans

Do I still count if I'm not using Linux right now? I'm still waiting for that new A/C adapter to arrive and therefore I'm stuck on this crappy old computer until then.

Six year old HP Compaq d220 MT
    Pentium 4 @ 2.80GHz (even though that seems fast, it isn't)
    0.99GB DDR RAM
    Windows XP Pro SP3
    40GB ATA hard drive
    Intel GMA Extreme 500

I need to hard reset it soon, the taskbar froze up and now the start menu is grafted onto the screen, obscuring my view...
    Use what works out best for you, whether it be Windows, Mac OS X or Linux. It isn't rocket science.

No longer active here.

Page 111 of 133 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111112113121 ... LastLast