Page 102 of 133 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 1327

Thread: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Old/crappy pc/laptop users, come chat and share here!

I gave my old laptop (1997 Gateway 2000 Solo 2100 running Damn Small Linux) to my 3 year old daughter. She likes to draw using the paint application that comes with DSL and practices spelling using the word processing app "Ted".

Pentium I (150 MHz)
    40 GB Ram
    1.34 GB Hard Drive

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I now have a 2nd PC! Guy in work turned up one day with a 2.8 p4, 1gb ram, 80gb hd and a psu, I stuck it all together in a spare case i've got and installed ubuntu 9.10

Overclocked the chip a little as well, 2.8 -> 3.4

Beans

Compared to some of these computers my new/old laptop sounds pretty powerful. The battery is completely dead and the power cable cuts out sometimes so thats a downer. It runs Ubuntu just fine. I am toying with the idea of putting on a minimal install so 190 of my 256 mb of ram isn't being used all the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Compare smartq 5 to these laptops and realize it is a 4.8 inch handheld device for 150 dollars afterwhich *laugh*

Beans
    Hidden!

My openbox install with lxpanel, firefox and flash takes up 290+ MB at once of RAM out of my 496 MB usable

Thank you lucid, for being more hoggy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Psumi; March 26th, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by mr-woof View Post
    I'm noticing a lot of people are using their older machines for media machines etc, what software do you use for that? It is easy to setup?

Does anyone use older machines for storing backups etc?
    Do you mean Media Machines as in players? Or, as I've seen, older machines as a concentrator - a place to keep all your mp3s, jpgs, and mp4s stored, as well as any data you may wish to back up, so that there aren't, for example, some on my machine, some on my wife's, some on my son's, etc...

I keep a machine for just that. It is a PIII with a pair of four port SATA PCI cards and a stack of 700GB to 1.5TB hard drives. I use an Argosy media player, (This one is similar: http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=HV335T) and I samba into //Khaless, (named for Khaless the Unforgettable) to get to the common media stash. //Khaless keeps backup copies of everyone's documents and data. Understand that I'm new to Ubuntu, but have been backing up data to a remote since the first time I had a major data loss back in 1980. I did this on my TRS-80 systems. (Does anyone remember the command Prot :n RUF - [Reset Update Flags] that you would do after backing up all the updated files?) Anyway, in the MSDos days batch commands like this would make quick work of backing up changed data:
    Code:
    NET USE L: \\KHALESS\jimmyshare /PERSISTENT:NO
    xcopy D:\*.* L:\ /M /S /E /C /I /F /H /R /K /Y
    Such a batch file would copy any file updated on your data drive (D:\ in the above example) to your network share, then reset the archive bit so that next time, only files newly modified would be copied. Batch files of this type still work under Windows. At some point I will learn how to do the same thing in Linux.

As for what software, the above mentioned are simply built in features of the various operating systems. I've read here that to share an Ubuntu volume with Windows PCs, it is just a matter of enabling Samba and creating your shares. Check this old Samba tips thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=202605 or maybe this more advanced thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1330637

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

This thread makes for great reading!
    Ubuntu 11.04, Mac OS X 10.4.11

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by witeshark17 View Post
    This thread makes for great reading!
    Especially when no one can help you deal with your growing problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

i've been using cdlinux lately
    Dell Mini 10v Triple Boot | OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate | Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot | 2 GB DDR2 RAM

Ubuntu. Faster, smoother, more beautiful...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

old pc's make good thin clients for an LTSP server too.
    Dell Mini 10v Triple Boot | OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.7 | Windows 7 Ultimate | Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot | 2 GB DDR2 RAM

Ubuntu. Faster, smoother, more beautiful...

Page 102 of 133 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112 ... LastLast