Thread: report hacking attempts to abuse@

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

report hacking attempts to abuse@

Hi,

I've created a habbit in reporting extended hacking attempts to the providers in question. So anybody who tries to force access to my systems for an extended amount of time, is being reported to his provider. Including a log of the attempts, the times and ip address.

Now I can't help to wonder. do you think those providers will actually do something with those mails? Except for the obligatory reply saying 'yadayadayada... we will investigate .... yadayadayada....Kind regards,'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: report hacking attempts to abuse@

i seriously doubt they do much about it, except maybe file them away somewhere! do you ever follow up a report and ask if anything has been done?
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

The likelihood is that the 'attacker' is really unaware of their attempt to access your system. Most alerts on firewalls are likely to be botnets, in the control of a third party who is virtually impossible to find.

Beans

its very unlikely anyone will try to attack your system anyway. Like Tomosaur said the majority of the so called "attacks" are from bots, or random crawlers. Anyone that would want to specifically target your system would problely have masked themselves behind a proxy.

And to answer your question. No the ISP would not bother, they hardly bother with anything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by beefcurry View Post
    And to answer your question. No the ISP would not bother, they hardly bother with anything
    Except screwing up my bill....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Most 'attackers' are either 'bots (as described above), or they're using faked/spoofed IP addresses - so there's probably very little that the 'provider' will be able to do in any event.
    Rumour has it that if you play Microsoft CDs backwards you will hear Satanic messages.
    Worse still, is that if you play them forwards they will install Windows.

Registered Linux User #423840 | Registered Ubuntu User #4799

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I know that the ip's I see in my logging aren't the real bad guys. And I also had the cynical idea that this was a wasted effort. But still, it would be a minor issue for them to write a little that would compare the ip and timeframe to match it to one of their users. And then have their systems send out a little e-mail, warning the user that his system had been compromised for hacking purposes.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by beefcurry View Post
    its very unlikely anyone will try to attack your system anyway. Like Tomosaur said the majority of the so called "attacks" are from bots, or random crawlers. Anyone that would want to specifically target your system would problely have masked themselves behind a proxy.

I think they will do if you seriously initiate legal action against them