Thread: mpeg 2 swf

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question mpeg 2 swf

Has anyone successfully converted an mpeg movie to a flash movie? Such as ->
    this WashingtonPost video <-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: mpeg 2 swf

Quote Originally Posted by macewan
    ffmpeg appears to be what I'm looking to use

Beans

Talking Re: mpeg 2 swf

Quote Originally Posted by macewan
    To me it's not that hard.. All you need is Macromedia Flash and import your .mpeg movie and place it on a scene. Then you, Test Scene, after you get the .swf and voila! you got a .swf movie, ofcourse you can add time track.. Even a beginner can do that .. You can google it .. Hope this helps

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by Devon001
    To me it's not that hard.. All you need is Macromedia Flash and import your .mpeg movie and place it on a scene. Then you, Test Scene, after you get the .swf and voila! you got a .swf movie, ofcourse you can add time track.. Even a beginner can do that .. You can google it .. Hope this helps
    they dont make flash for linux. in case you didnt notice, this is a linux forum. sorry if im sounding mean, or flamey, but this really doesnt help linux users, or even most windows users, because flash costs many hundreds of dollars.

-Wild

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: mpeg 2 swf

Thanks WildTangent. Devon001, since Macromedia doesn't provide a Linux port of their software I have to rely on the good will of programmers with the knowledge and skill to provide an open alternative to the costly combination of the Windows platform and Dreamweaver MX.

To convert a video from the .mpg format into something suitable for streaming with Flash Video I used ffmpeg to convert the file. Although not perfect - I have managed as of this morning to create the working example found at the link below.

http://www.macewan.org/streaming-test/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've settled on using a WordPress plugin (modified somewhat) to use the Flowplayer. <a href="http://ffmpeg.sourceforge.net/" title="FFmpeg">FFmpeg</a> is used to convert the .mpg file to the .flv which is then uploaded.

You could also ask these guys, maybe they can help:

http://f4l.sourceforge.net/

Beans

macewan could you be so kind and post the ffmpeg command you used. Inspired by your result I tried it myself with the following command:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i Hello_my.mpeg Hello_my.swf
    Unfortunately it didn't work and ended with the following prompt.
    Code:
    Unsupported codec for output stream #0.1
    I woudl be very glad if someone has a solution to my problem.