Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: your opinions on FOSS Video editors?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

your opinions on FOSS Video editors?

Kino
    looks good but importing videos takes too long and sometimes the importing fails without any explanation.

Avidemux
    Great for altering the video's brightness and things like that but there is no editing.

Pitivi
    too simple, okay for editing but my vids often come flawed out.

Diva
    The development has ceased(unfortunately) Judging from it's screenshots it looks pretty good. Doesn't have any packages just the source which is difficult to install.

Is there anything I'm missing or aren't there any good editors?

Beans

Re: your opinions on FOSS Video editors?

There's also Cinelerra, which can be a bit of a mess, and I personally use Blender, because it can do video editing in addition to 3D modeling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

There's no REAL video editor out there for Linux users, unfortunately. I have tried them all, but feel really disappointed since they're not on par with commercial, Windows-only apps, to name just a few like: lack of features, unstable... That's sad but true
    .:.:.[)[@[)|2.:.:.
    "Really, I'm not out to destroy Microsoft. That will just be a completely unintentional side-effect." -- Linus Torvald.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Has avid or premiere been tried in wine?

Beans

I've used Kino many times importing different formats and never had a problem.
    "The superior man understands what is right; the inferior man understands what will sell"
    --Confucius

Beans

Blender actually has a video editor. They're also working on a good sound editor, but for now, if you make a good sound in audacity, you can import it into blender.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I've been looking for a video editor as simple as Windows Movie Maker... Just something to cut or add clips, add simple animations like fading or a bit of music. Can't find anything like that in linux :/

Beans

Cinellera is the way to go. It can be a pita to install in ubuntu, but it is so much better than Kino et al that it is worth it. If you use PCLOS/SAM Linux I know it is in the repo's, not sure what other distros have it.
    Desktop: AMD Athlon64 X2 3600+, Nvidia 8600GT, 3GB RAM, 80GB hd, Windows 7 Beta
    Lappy: Sony Vaio FW-140E, Intel P8400 2.26Ghz, 3GB Ram, 250GB HD, Intel x4500MHD, Windows 7 Beta & Kubuntu 8.10 w/ KDE 4.2

Beans

cinelerra is great! but the setbacks are that it is buggy and slow. It is very powerful, but difficult to pick up. For quick stuff, I use Kdenlive. Kdenlive is very similar to Diva or Windows Movie Maker. I highly suggest it. THere may be a package on getdeb.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc313 View Post
    cinelerra is great! but the setbacks are that it is buggy and slow. It is very powerful, but difficult to pick up. For quick stuff, I use Kdenlive. Kdenlive is very similar to Diva or Windows Movie Maker. I highly suggest it. THere may be a package on getdeb.
    I agree. Cinelerra is a little slow, and it has a few bugs (it's getting better, though), but it's the only way to go in the FOSS realm if you need features. I am using the latest Cinelerra CVS and it's usability has come a long way in the past couple of years. I used Vegas Video in Windows, and Cinelerra isn't nearly as easy. But I'm picking it up without much problem. It does have some advanced features like motion tracking that is a bear to learn. But for most usual editing, it's not that hard to grasp. I'm really liking it.

If you want to install Cinelerra CVS, it's as easy as adding a repo, then using Synaptic or apt-get. Go here to find easy installation instructions for Ubuntu.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast