Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mark Shuttleworth & Kevin Carmony(Linspire CEO)

poptones Guest

Re: Mark Shuttleworth & Kevin Carmony(Linspire CEO)

I find this very interesting. I know I tried linspire and even joined their forums. I did not use it long because I found it really lacking in many aspects. I had a membership in the CNR and all that, I didn't stay with it long enough to even use the membership. The quality I found was not there.

Does this mean linspire will now be based on ubuntu? Does it mean they are doing away with the "run everything as root" silliness?

The main reason I use ubuntu is because it always has a well up to date gnome desktop. I really like the gnome desktop. does this mean Linspire is going to come with a default gnome desktop now, or that they may use kubuntu?

BTW, what do the purists in S Afrikka think of the bastardized form of "kubuntu?" Isn't this just one step toward complete dilution of its true meaning?

I had no idea Shuttleworth was such a hippie. Good on ya!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

When you compare the CEO's only, i feel now even more at home with ubuntu...

Beans
    Hidden!

Is AOL evil?

There was a wonderful interview on Lugradio a few episodes back, with Kevin Carmony. He explained that he wants people to use Linspire in the same way they use AOL. You pay for convenience. He also mentioned the the IRMA project was pouring all the translations they developed from their community back upstream.

This is very good.

If he sees the potential in using Canonical's ressources to do the same job, well then you have a winning relationship. In an even earlier interview with Mark Shuttleworth (on lugradio - lugradio.org) he touched on derivative distributions shipping with proprietary codecs and such (Lispire pay licence fees, so they ship with all of the codecs)

Business is good for free software.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yeah, this is exciting. I hope to see some collaboration very soon. If linspire had an ubuntu base, it would be the best of both worlds for beginners, and then ubuntu could be for the more advanced users.

It seems that debian based distros are becoming more and more prevalent, and the rpm based distros are gradually sliding. I'm not saying that this is good or bad overall, some people swear by the rpm, but I'm excited.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poptones
    Does this mean linspire will now be based on ubuntu? Does it mean they are doing away with the "run everything as root" silliness?
    Nope. It just means that Linspire no longer hates our guts. They used to be pretty touchy about Ubuntu.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Uhh, whose hand is on Mark's left shoulder? It sorta looks out of place. I hope it's not that evil creeping hand we hear so often about!
    Last edited by rattaro; July 9th, 2005 at 06:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hope Mark doesn't get mad at me for posting this pic. I promised him I wouldn't send it out in a Linspire Letter, but I thought our forum users would be interested in this. Hopefully your forum here finds it equally as interesting.

For those of you who haven't met Mark personally, I can tell you that he's a VERY bright guy and his passion and dedication to Linux and open source is quite evident. He's certainly a wonderful person to have helping this space.

Ubuntu continues to do great work, and Linspire wants to work with all Linux companies in any way possible to further its acceptance and adoption.

Linspire sponsors and contributes to many open source projects and we give 100% of this work back to the community. So yes, your good work here helps us, and we hope our work with Nvu, GAIM, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. helps you.

For the record, I've NEVER heard anyone at Linspire or any of our community say ANYTHING negative about Ubuntu (so not sure where the comment comes from that we "hate you.") If anything, I've heard nothing but positive comments.

Keep up the great work, and come visit our community anytime. Any of you will always be welcome to come, chat, share ideas, etc.

Kevin Carmony
    CEO, Linspire

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Carmony
    Hope Mark doesn't get mad at me for posting this pic. I promised him I wouldn't send it out in a Linspire Letter, but I thought our forum users would be interested in this. Hopefully your forum here finds it equally as interesting.

For those of you who haven't met Mark personally, I can tell you that he's a VERY bright guy and his passion and dedication to Linux and open source is quite evident. He's certainly a wonderful person to have helping this space.
    Welcome to our forum

Ubuntu continues to do great work, and Linspire wants to work with all Linux companies in any way possible to further its acceptance and adoption.

Linspire sponsors and contributes to many open source projects and we give 100% of this work back to the community. So yes, your good work here helps us, and we hope our work with Nvu, GAIM, Firefox, OpenOffice, etc. helps you.
    Good

Will linspire be ubuntu based ?

For the record, I've NEVER heard anyone at Linspire or any of our community say ANYTHING negative about Ubuntu (so not sure where the comment comes from
    that we "hate you.") If anything, I've heard nothing but positive comments.
    Linspire hating ubuntu is new to me too.

Keep up the great work, and come visit our community anytime. Any of you will always be welcome to come, chat, share ideas, etc.

Kevin Carmony
    CEO, Linspire
    thnx

If Linspire becomes Ubuntu based I might start recommending it to people who think installing proprietary stuff Ubuntu is too much hassle

poptones Guest

I don't understand. I thought Michael whats-his-name was CEO of linspire? I still get regular emails from him and they have the linspire logo. What affiliation does he have with Linspire now?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by poptones
    I don't understand. I thought Michael whats-his-name was CEO of linspire? I still get regular emails from him and they have the linspire logo. What affiliation does he have with Linspire now?
    micheal robertson is chairman

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast