Thread: Getting a domain, website, server, etc. help!

Beans

Question Getting a domain, website, server, etc. help!

Not sure if this is the correct place for this but I figured it might be. I feel a bit like the Memento dude as I used to have a few websites about 5-6 years ago but I have forgotten pretty much all of what do, and as much as I could google the info, I know many of you on this forum could give me good recommendations.

1. First off, what are the types of "servers" ? Are they primarily business servers or can one have his/her own personal "server" ? How would it work? I want to have a place to store my files, decent amount of space and good speed of course. How do I set this up and what is the cost? (I know of free file hosting/sharing sites, but I really want to have full control over it and not have any limits.)

2. Also, I would like to get a domain again and perhaps have a token site or something personal for me and friends. So once I bought a domain name, would it use the server from my first question or would I need a hosting company? Again, how it would work and what cost would be involved.

As well as clarifying this if you could please link to any sites that any of you have or do deal with that you'd recommend, it'd be greatly appreciated.

TIA for any help!
    Last edited by herbster; June 15th, 2007 at 04:37 AM.
    "For those who believe, no explanation is necessary. For those who do not, none will suffice." - Joseph Dunninger

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Getting a domain, website, server, etc. help!

I use www.one.com because they are cheap with relatively high quality. The best hosted solution I have come across.

If you want your own server, all you need is an ISP that gives you a fixed IP-adress and allows that kind of activity. Then just register a domain and direct it at that IP.

At www.one.com you can use their hosting for your domain, and then direct a virtual domain at your own IP giving you full control over part of the site. For example: register www.mydomain.com and host it at their site, and then direct http://home.mydomain.com/ to your fixed (or through dyndns.org) IP-adress at home. Then you will have a capable and secure site while being able to provide unlimited storage with full control and what not as well.
    Just trying to help...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Wow, one.com IS cheap, but if he wants a fileserver he needs more space.

I've been looking at bluehost.com...300 gigs of space for $6.95 a month plus you get SSH access. Also looked at westhost.com, dreamhost.com and VPSland.com.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Thumbs down Re: Getting a domain, website, server, etc. help!

Im with spry.com to host my site
    www.OSGUI.com
    The name has a double meaning: the OS stands for both ‘Operating Systems’ and ‘Open Source’, and the GUI stands for ‘Graphical User Interface’.
    http://www.osgui.com/content/linux/ubuntu.html

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm using dreamhost, don't know what they offer at the moment but it used to be 200GB webspace and 2TB bandwith (both increasing weekly), more then you will ever need. Great for multiple sites.
    Ubuntu User #7196 | Linux User #425604 | www.robdian.co.uk
    1. Ubuntu 7.10 64bit, Core2Duo E6750 @ 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM,
    2. Linux Mint/Windows XP, P4 2.4GHz, 512MB RAM