Thread: Why Synaptic search is so slow?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Why Synaptic search is so slow?

I'm not sure is this a right forum for this post, but I thought that here people have more knowledge about programming.

I'm just wondering why Synaptic Package Manager search is so slow as it is at the moment. For example "apt-cache search" is almost instant. It seems that synaptic doesn't use any cache and I think it really should! It's so frustrating to wait between every search...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Why Synaptic search is so slow?

When you search in Synaptic, if you switch the "search in" drowpdown to "Name" instead of "Name and Description", it should be pretty much exactly as fast as apt-cache (which doesn't search the descriptions by default).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by Soybean View Post
    When you search in Synaptic, if you switch the "search in" drowpdown to "Name" instead of "Name and Description", it should be pretty much exactly as fast as apt-cache (which doesn't search the descriptions by default).
    Are you sure that apt-cache doesn't search in description text? I tested apt-cache search pygtk and comix package showed up. There is no pygtk in the name, but there is pygtk string in it's description. Anyway, package cache for synaptic would be appriciated.

Beans
    Hidden!

I've noticed this too, and just attributed it to all the overhead that comes when using a GUI-based program (IE: manipulating the on-screen forms, filling in text areas, etc.) Still annoying though.