Page 107 of 145 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast
Results 1,061 to 1,070 of 1445

Thread: The "Bye, Ubuntu" thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Sorry Linux, it’s just not working out

If he had put the same amount of effort into sorting out his lack of familiarity of Ubuntu as he put into his original post I'm confident he would have had a more pleasurable experience.

I'm loving it!!

Beans

Re: Goodbye Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by guyver View Post
    Can you please tell me where I can find this information? I have made a post asking for either Feisty or Gutsy Xubuntu locations under trying to do a floppy install using Debian Floppy disks and all I have gotten is silence.

Perhaps this is why the poster of this message sounds so frustrated? People seem indifferent about the whole matter.
    Looked at your post about floppy install. You mention you checked https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/WithFloppies

but don't know how to apply it to Feisty. Well you see the bit where it says
    Grab the latest debootstrap_*.tar.gz
    followed by a link? You click the link and get the Feisty debootstrap and then follow the howto. It's all there in plain sight.
    grunty gubbins

Beans

I've never used anything but Windows (aside from popping in the Live Ubuntu CD last night and playing around with it), and I found this post to be very hit and run, with little real value to it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sstusick View Post
    Why don't you get your head of the sand for a minute and realize you NEED to buy new hardware just to run Vista.

As has been stated, Linux supports MORE hardware than Windows does OUT OF THE BOX. And that is FACT. Install Windows on any machine and you will have to load the drivers for most of the hardware, YOURSELF. Install Ubuntu or any distro on that same machine, and I bet that Linux will support more hardware on that machine than Windows does OUT OF THE BOX.

Ubuntu supports my media card reader, my digital camera, my HP Printer, sound card, video card, etc. ALL OUT OF THE BOX.

Now when I load Windows, I have to load EVERY SINGLE DRIVER for ALL of my hardware MYSELF.
    As i posted earlier, i have more hardware problems with linux than with windows. Actaully, with any version of windows, xp or vista. I have installed Vista ultimate (just as a demo) on my old Optiplex gx240 with 768mb ram, 1.8ghz processor, in a 30gb partition and it actually ran just fine. It was a little slow, but xp is slow compared to 2000, so thats no surprise that it would lag a little on my old beast.
    I installed XP on this box and had no problems with hardware at all, every driver was loaded right away, or if it wasnt readily available windows found it via internet connection. In ubuntu 7.04 i have never had my soundcard working ever, nor have i had my wireless adapter or pci network card, so i had to use the crappy integrated one. So in my experience linux doesnt work as well on my hardware. Granted, your experience may be completely different, but typing random words in all capitals doesnt change what i said in my last post about hardware issues. So dont go about quoting your own experiences as a fact, thats really annoying and your acting like a major fanboy. Now i dont mean to sound rude, but thats just the way i see it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NoSmokingBandit View Post
    As i posted earlier, i have more hardware problems with linux than with windows. Actaully, with any version of windows, xp or vista. I have installed Vista ultimate (just as a demo) on my old Optiplex gx240 with 768mb ram, 1.8ghz processor, in a 30gb partition and it actually ran just fine. It was a little slow, but xp is slow compared to 2000, so thats no surprise that it would lag a little on my old beast.
    I installed XP on this box and had no problems with hardware at all, every driver was loaded right away, or if it wasnt readily available windows found it via internet connection. In ubuntu 7.04 i have never had my soundcard working ever, nor have i had my wireless adapter or pci network card, so i had to use the crappy integrated one. So in my experience linux doesnt work as well on my hardware. Granted, your experience may be completely different, but typing random words in all capitals doesnt change what i said in my last post about hardware issues. So dont go about quoting your own experiences as a fact, thats really annoying and your acting like a major fanboy. Now i dont mean to sound rude, but thats just the way i see it.
    I am just stating facts. Your XP machine was one rare case then. I have installed XP on many, many machines and I was lucky if it had a driver for a nic card, nevermind a video card. I may be a Linux fanboy because I like what I use, so be it. But I also want you to know that I am not the only Linux user who is lucky enough to have everything working out of the box. The case is true more often than not. But the fact remains, Linux supports more hardware out of the box. There are a few exceptions, of course.

Does your printer work out of the box on Windows? I don't think so. You have to load your little driver, right? Though it isn't so little, is it? Something like 100 mb's of crap it has to load just get your printer to print. I plug my printer in and within 30 seconds I am printing with it. No extra configuration necessary.

Beans

Re: The "Bye, Ubuntu" thread

Quote Originally Posted by julian67 View Post
    whereas Windows actually got worse
    just so right!! Hehe... Vista has even annoyed a lot of veteran Windows users so bad, that they want to get out of this

And from what I've read, the support for Vista will even expire before XP (2014)

The only reason I could see for using Vista is :

A) being forced because it's installed at Work / new PC's.

B) DirectX 10 for gamers - those dudes in Redmond knew what they were doing by not upgrading XP to it - although that wouldn't be too much work. I'm really curious how Linux will cope with this strategic move...

C) In terms of Multimedia support, stability and ease of configuration Windows seems to be more advanced to me. I just like to mention the annoying screen refresh setup for CRT users here (though this is gonna be changing soon at last, from what I've learned recently!) or the mime type handling.

perixx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have to agree with sstusick. I've worked with Windows since Win 3.1 and I've never gone through a single install without having to break out a driver disc, go to a web site to find a motherboard driver or flash update, or something similar. And, to be honest, most of the time it was 10x harder than it ever was with Ubuntu. I've had way more hardware nightmares with Windows.

Of course, I also custom build all my computers -- pre-fab machines don't tend to have those kinds of problems. Shocking as it may seem, this is also true of pre-built Ubuntu machines, so in those cases, hardware working out of the box is no particular credit to the OS.

I've also almost never had Windows successfully find my hardware drivers on the Internet. Maybe twice since I've been using XP (which has been since it came out until six months ago). I won't even go into the nightmare of Win 98, where you could point the machine right to the file containing the proper driver and it'd still claim it couldn't be found.
    Focus is Cash in the Economics of Attention
    No one should apologize for, nor act threatened as a result of their preferences.- PapaRaven

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: The "Bye, Ubuntu" thread

Stability wise I find Linux better at. Personaly I have had no end to the errors and problems in WinXP. Only time Linux has issues is when I'm stupid enough to break it lol.

Multimedia wise Mint is the answer since it comes preloaded with codecs etc... But yeah WinXP does generaly work better with these. Although I have recently had to download tons of codecs for it too.

Ease of use you really cannot compare since Linux does things in such a different way from XP. The biggest complaint I hear is no .exe install. I then patiently remmind people we have .deb and .mint which work practically the same way.
    Windows vs. Linux, what you mean there's a doubt?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by NoSmokingBandit View Post
    Then there is something very odd about your GX240 because I have Ubuntu 7.04 installed on one right now. It installed without any tweaking - soundcard definately works because Amarok is playing MP3s as I write.

When I installed XP on it, the NIC was not detected correctly, so online driver update is out of the window. This is not a flook either because the GX240's are widely used at my work too and we have problems with them using Win2k as well.
    (12:25:08 PM) sabdfl: if Linux is just another way to run Windows apps, we can't win
    (12:25:13 PM) sabdfl: OS/2 tried that

Blog | Dropbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Goodbye Ubuntu.

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I think it already is. Too bad you have to install it yourself... maybe that preinstallation thing will be "right up there" with Windows soon.
    with any luck, preinstallation through Dell will be a big thing...although they aren't pushing it as a real option yet (you have to search for Ubuntu build rather than it being in the normal OS choice list!

The issue for the majority of newbies is getting support/drivers for their hardware.....a lot of people just want to buy a PC and it work.....without extra configuration. Most of the people here aren't afraid to tinker or want to work through problems.... others do not have the time/patience/desire to devote to tweaking products!
    "You should be forgiving when others make mistakes, but not when the mistakes are in you. You should be patient under duress yourself, but not when it affects others"

Page 107 of 145 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117 ... LastLast