Thread: The "Bye, Ubuntu" thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Cool Re: Why i'm moving back to windows

Let us know how the Vista thing works out

Beans

Re: Why i'm moving back to windows

Well, I have have Ubunutu for several months and the only problem I have had is when the updates broke the X Server.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Cool Re: Why i'm moving back to windows

I'm sorry to hear it jimhaddon,

ubuntu and kubuntu have never failed for me with samba, nor have I ever had to reinstall them in the last year I've been using them. BTW, why do you use a floppy disc for GRUB? why not just install it on the MBR and have it give windows as an option in the list? That is what my friends and I do. Well, good luck. Perhaps your issues will be solved *automagically* in ubuntu 6.10 (coming out in less than a month). Do give it a try if your not completely annoyed out of your skull. Also, I don't really use gnome much at all, but most of the SAMBA work i've had to do I've done in KDE and it *just worked*. why not try kubuntu? you can install it by typing "sudo apt-get install kubuntu-dekstop" in a terminal and then picking KDE from the login screen. Just note that all of the apps from ubuntu will be littered in the KDE/Kubuntu menu, and visa-versa.

good luck

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jimhaddon View Post
    Im sorry, but for me, ubuntu just totally sucks. I respect the people who made it totally, giving up their spare time etc, but for me, it just does not work.
    Why can't we get more posts like this?

Notice the phrase but for me? Shows some perspective.

Sorry it didn't work out for you, jimhaddon.

Beans

Perhaps if you had asked more questions here, you would have had a better experience. 99% of problems are fixable, and I've never reinstalled in eight years of using Linux. I think that it's quite possible that your boot floppy is going bad. Floppies are terribly unreliable.

Beans

Thanks very much for your replies so far. With respect to KDE. I have tried Kubuntu already. It did not install on its own due to a problem with ATI graphics drivers. I had a VERY long process to go through to fix that problem, and when it had installed, the next week, it failed, so again a full install was required.

With respect to the floppy. The reason I have to use a floppy, is because I am triple booting XP, Vista and Ubuntu. Ubuntu's Grub will not pick up vista which is why I have Vista's menu on the MBR, and GRUB on floppy.

In life im just a very unlucky person, so maybe im just really unlucky with ubuntu, I dont know, but for me, it just isnt worth this tremendous amount of hassle. Imagine having to do a fresh install twice a month. I may as well just be using the LiveCD!

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

That sux Some people just have an OS curse. I for one cannot for the life of me get Gentoo to work. Try out Edgy maybe it'll be better. Maybe a different distribution would work, well w/e you go for I hope it works out well for you
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimhaddon View Post
    Ubuntu's Grub will not pick up vista which is why I have Vista's menu on the MBR, and GRUB on floppy.
    This works fine for me! You set it up exactly the same as if for XP (I think).

This was automatically added to /boot/grub/menu.lst:
    Code:
    title		Windows Vista/Longhorn (loader)
    root		(hd0,0)
    savedefault
    makeactive
    chainloader	+1

Beans

I have tried many different distros of linux, and ubuntu (believe it or not) has so far been the most reliable of the lot. Some of you may think well it has to be his hardware that is the problem. I can assure you this is not the case. Windows works absolutely fine, and I know this PC inside out as I built it myself.

What would probably be most useful at this point, and something that may just give ubuntu one last chance for me, is a way of restoring my current installation of ubuntu without yet another fresh install.

How would I re-install GRUB to a floppy, instructing it my installation's root is /dev/sda5?

I have tried many tutorials, most based on the fact that I have to copy stage1 and stage2 from /boot/grub which are for some reason not in there when i boot from LiveCD

Beans

I think that it's quite possible that your boot floppy is going bad. Floppies are terribly unreliable.
    this is true. i usually only got 1-2 uses out of a floppy before the dust got to it and it started having bad sectors. this is the reason people don't use floppys anymore. floppies totally suck.

edit, if you had installed grub on the hard drive, you would have had much better luck.
    Last edited by graigsmith; October 11th, 2006 at 02:14 AM.

Page 10 of 145 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast