Page 2 of 145 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Bye, Ubuntu" thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: Goodbye Ubuntu.

How is using Synaptic not easy? Even using the terminal is not that hard to learn!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by spacedogg
    Sorry guys and gals, I'm gave it a shot and I;m going to have to say good bye to Linux and Ubuntu. Without wireless support and an easy way to install programs, this is something that I'm not going to get. I'm a windows user and that's all there is to it.

I tried, but it just isn't going to work.
    you should just give synaptic a shot it doesn't get much easier than that, and what wireless card do you have? 80% of them work out of the box (the ones that don't are usally the cheap crappy ones)

Beans
    Hidden!

"goodbye, cruel world (sniff)."

as to the comment about letting the developers know what needs to be worked on, via this thread - everyone knows wireless needs work and everyone knows a retarded drunk could use synaptic.

Beans

First time Linux user expects everything to work out the box without any effort whatsoever. It really gets on my **** when people throw in the towel like this. Computers where never meant to be this easy.
    Last edited by ade234uk; January 15th, 2006 at 08:20 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ade234uk
    Computers where never meant to be this easy.
    Why not ?
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ade234uk
    Computers where never meant to be this easy.
    "the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by spacedogg
    Sorry guys and gals, I'm gave it a shot and I;m going to have to say good bye to Linux and Ubuntu. Without wireless support and an easy way to install programs, this is something that I'm not going to get. I'm a windows user and that's all there is to it.

I tried, but it just isn't going to work.
    Maybe Linux isn't something for you... that's no problem. I took myself quite a while before I could understand the big. I realized I could spend hours, days and even months dealing with one problem after the other, posting my ass of in return to work with an OS I didn't understand wasn't going to work. So I dove into bookstores and bought myself some books. So graduatelly within months I started to understand the history, the spirit and the use of Linux. It gave me that right push and after that all went like a knive through butter.

Maybe such an approach could be inspiring or useful for yourself. You don't have to be running Linux to learn about it and understand it. But once you do them both, you can switch back if you like.
    Linux Is Not Windows | www.derekdjons.nl | The 'XT' under the Rebels.
    Registered Linux User #406653 | Translator @ Launchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by BigOldCar
    "Why do people feel the need to post this?"

Well, understand that he's actually doing everyone a favor by listing the reasons the product didn't work for him. Most people use Windows, so for Linux in any variety to have a shot at growth it has to appeal to a Windows-user's expectations.
    So basically you are saying that for Linux to grow it should be a bad Windows imitation? Did it ever occur to you that Linux is growing BECAUSE it's not like Windows? Linux would lose most of it's userbase if it went in that direction and with that userbase goes the developers.

It's not really a problem, there is Windows and those users that like windows better than Linux should use windows and they do.

This guy took issue with the lack (or apparent lack) of support for wireless equipment and the installation procedure for additional software. If many other users are also turned off by these issues, it's something for the programming community to try to work on.

S.W.
    It's different than Windows, which is a good thing, most problems can be solved if you have a bit of patience and if you're willing to learn.

Beans

I always get frustrated when I read posts like this. I have only had one hardware problem since using Linux...and that was my fault. Whenever I buy a piece of hardware I always google until I feel comfortable that what I am buying will work. Once I even bought a slightly older motherboard because the newest model required a slight change in the kernel settings. Only once did I get burned because I bought a printer on a whim only to have it not be supported. What made me mad was the printer to the left at the store was fully supported and with identical features. Since then my printer does finally work but I had about a year with limited capabilites. I'm not sure if I can think of anything else other than computers that people for some reason just expect will work with what they have with no effort in doing research. If you look at the insane number of posts regarding sound cards its ridiculous.

I also agree with the posters that say just do your homework on the different distro's and you will find one that works. Especially now that most distro's have a live CD where you can try it before installing. I hooked up a friend of mine with Linspire because it was the only distro that worked with all his hardware right off the bat, including the troublesome wireless card. For other people usually the solution is to look on this forum as it is the best I have ever used.

Beans

I used to think that it would be good to make Linux exactly the same as Windows but these days I could not think of a worse thing to do. Gnome is individual and it need to stay that way.

Page 2 of 145 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast