Page 1 of 145 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Bye, Ubuntu" thread

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

The "Bye, Ubuntu" thread

Sorry guys and gals, I'm gave it a shot and I;m going to have to say good bye to Linux and Ubuntu. Without wireless support and an easy way to install programs, this is something that I'm not going to get. I'm a windows user and that's all there is to it.

I tried, but it just isn't going to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Goodbye Ubuntu.

Bye!

BTW, there are easy ways to install programs if they are in the repositories.

Beans
    Hidden!

Sorry but why do people feel the need to announce this?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMusicAddict
    Sorry but why do people feel the need to announce this?
    It relieves stress, I guess?

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Quote Originally Posted by spacedogg
    Sorry guys and gals, I'm gave it a shot and I;m going to have to say good bye to Linux and Ubuntu. Without wireless support and an easy way to install programs, this is something that I'm not going to get. I'm a windows user and that's all there is to it.

Maybe you can try another distro. SUSE has been successful in identifying hardware for me (haven't tried any wireless stuff though). Linspire, Mepis, PCLinuxOS are known for their ease of use. Maybe one of them is better for you.

Take a look at distrowatch and read a little about the different distributions. Sure, it will take some time, but you will learn a lot on the way (and you will appreciate that later, I promise )

Anyway, use whatever feels good for you. If using Windows feels better for you, then use Windows. Having a choice is nice, isn't it?
    Software Failure. Press left mouse button to continue.
    Guru Meditation #00000000.48454C50

Beans

"Why do people feel the need to post this?"

Well, understand that he's actually doing everyone a favor by listing the reasons the product didn't work for him. Most people use Windows, so for Linux in any variety to have a shot at growth it has to appeal to a Windows-user's expectations. This guy took issue with the lack (or apparent lack) of support for wireless equipment and the installation procedure for additional software. If many other users are also turned off by these issues, it's something for the programming community to try to work on.

S.W.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BigOldCar
    If many other users are also turned off by these issues, it's something for the programming community to try to work on.
    Except that Ubuntu developers don't haunt the Absolute Beginner Talk forums to see what they should be improving on. And, frankly, the indirect "suggestions" in the original post didn't really suggest anything specific or anything the Ubuntu developers can help.

A lot of new Ubuntu users want to install stuff outside the repositories, but I wouldn't be surprised if this new user thought it all had to be .tar.gz instead of Synaptic.

Beans
    Distro

Utter frustration.

So anyway, I think that Ubuntu, given time, will be right up there with Windows in ease of use.

Maybe he'll be back.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster
    So anyway, I think that Ubuntu, given time, will be right up there with Windows in ease of use.
    I think it already is. Too bad you have to install it yourself... maybe that preinstallation thing will be "right up there" with Windows soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by spacedogg

Best of luck.
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Page 1 of 145 1231151101 ... LastLast