Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did YOU start using Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Why did YOU start using Ubuntu?

I came for the challenge.

I had windows down pat and the only things i was learning was at work. Not sure why i chose Ubuntu, i think because it was just the big name in Linux.

No anti Windows Sentiments to be found here.
    Ubuntu Guide: GutsySound GuideTake CommandFree Ubuntu StickersLearn to ProgramUndelete ext3
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy 64AMD - Ubuntu User Id: 15132 ■ Last FM

Beans

Talking Re: Why did YOU start using Ubuntu?

I started using it because I became frustrated with MS/******* etc.... For Xmas, a bunch of my friends chipped in and purchased me an online special from COMP USA, an HP Pavillion Notebook (boy, was I stunned!). BUT, it came with problems (Oh boy did it have problems....). It was a reburbished comp., 1 gig ram, 120 gig HD, DVD/CDR/W, Light Scribe, media center style. It also came with a problem. Kept crashing. Took it in to the experts, still under warranty, they claimed software issues. Finally died one day. Took it back into COMP USA, they said no problem. HA! Came back working, with different OS than it came with! They installed a European version of XP (yes, why!?!). Despite the many fights/arguments/nasty letters, I was stuck with what they did. 5 months later, the HD dies (the real problem....). Warranty void/over, of course.... I bought a 160 gig HD from Newegg, installed it and used it as my excuse to install Ubuntu 6.06. This was 3 weeks ago (count my beans, divide by 3 = my average posting of HELP ME questions per week...Heh...).
    Have not looked back since.
    Hate *******, LOVE Linux/Ubuntu, even as confused as I am with it. A great feeling of satisfaction whenever I figure something else out (today it was Flash video, streaming video, WINE, mIRC and couple other things).
    In large part, my satisfaction is bolstered from the help you guys provide to a newbie like me. I'm 49 years old, yet you guys treat me with respect and kindness and hold my hand and lead me down the pebbled path of knowledge (wow! How's that sound!).
    NEVER going back to *******.

Thanks

john

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I decided to try Ubuntu after I built my own desktop PC at home and gained the liberty of tinkering with my PC. At first I installed it simply because I could, then I challenged myself to use it straight for 1 month and see how it went... Well, it's been 6 months since I began that venture and I only look back on Windows XP because I play FEAR. I also got tired of the constant need to run spy-ware and ad-ware blocking programs (although Spybot S&D definitely took care of the problem).

I'm going have to get a notebook with Vista Business installed for college, but I'm currently looking at buying the laptop Dell is selling with Ubuntu preinstalled. That way I get a laptop I know works with Ubuntu and I can always get the student discounted Vista and Office 2007.
    AMD X2 4800+ | ASUS A8N32-SLI Deluxe | PNY 7600GT & XFX 7600GT
    2GB PC4200 RAM | 250 GB HD |Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit|Windows XP Pro 32-bit

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I installed it on my laptop after I decided to just try it out, probably right after hearing about it on The Linux Link Tech Show. I grabbed Ubuntu first, but didn't like Gnome. I the grabbed Kubuntu and fell in love with the KDE desktop. I've stuck with it ever since.
    FFfswm3adrsw A+ C- D H M P++ R T+++ W Z- Sm RLCT* a cdlnw++ d++ e+ f+ h* iwf+++ j++ p++ sm#
    My LiveJournal | My Flickr Photos | My DeviantArt
    Feel free to contact me using Jabber: bonesolteradyne@livejournal.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

because of the fresh fruit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Simply because I know myself , and I should try out Vista , and I don't want to use this OS !

Also because of security reasons ( virusses, spyware ) ... after about 6 months Ubuntu it is still running like it was a fresh install.
    You can't say that from XP , can you ?
    That is , if you're like me , and want to try many software.
    Several installs and uninstalls in each month.

Kuoi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

i've toyed with linux for a wee bit every frew years or so since the early 90's... this time it just stuck... i could blame microsoft and the genuine authentic crap... or DRM... or vista and all its incompatabilities... i could also say that i just wanted to be that much cooler than my friends... im not really sure why it finally stuck, think its because the linux world has really come along, and ubuntu is a great distro... had i not discovered ubuntu i probably would have gone right back to windows after toying around with redhat and suse

Beans

i just wanted something new and vista was way out of my price range, current system specs and all the licensing restrictions, telling u what u can and cant do. i wanted something friendlier and to have ultimate power over what my computer could do.
    A One that is not cold, is scarcely a One at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I was using Win98 at the time (still am via dual boot). I wanted the following:

- the ability to continue to use older hardware (not realized with a PIII/500mhz and Gnome ... not even Xubuntu)
    - try something new and support what I consider a great WIP (work in progress) instead of a giant-arsed corporation.
    - Stability. Win98 and BSOD's = no fun. Unfortunately my experience with Dapper has been a stability disappointment. I don't blame the OS as my hardware is old, but my experience hasn't been great.

It's been aggravating and painful but interesting and informative too. I hope I can stick it out!
    Last edited by NJC; June 14th, 2007 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Did not answer thread question properly.

Beans

I do a lot of programming and I heard Linux was good for that. I choose Ubuntu because my friends who were already using Linux use Ubuntu.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast