Thread: [Direct2Dell] Interest in Linux Outside the United States

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Thumbs down [Direct2Dell] Interest in Linux Outside the United States

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi.../12/17254.aspx

Interest in Linux Outside the United States

If you spend any amount of time on Direct2Dell and IdeaStorm, it's pretty obvious that Linux is a popular topic.

On IdeaStorm, Linux and open source-related ideas are commonly some of the most popular ones. Currently the Sell Linux PCs Worldwide idea by ergo and Dell Ubuntu for Europe by yesmathew are near the top of the front page of IdeaStorm. In other words, they are recently popular ideas.

On the blog, Linux posts related to our recent commitment to offer Ubuntu are the top 4 most viewed posts since we launched in July last year. In just about every one of those posts, the common trend was this: a big jump in traffic the first day of the post followed by an even bigger spike on the second day. International interest was a big reason behind that trend. One more data point to put it in perspective: my post from last month that explained details of the three systems we'd offer with Ubuntu attracted almost 65,000 unique visitors that day—a single day record in terms of traffic. More importantly though, one of the most common requests I see from the Linux community via blog comments and direct e-mails is for us to to offer Ubuntu to home users outside the United States. At this point, I don't have any new developments to communicate, but it is something that's under consideration.
    Considering increasing the availability of the Dell Ubuntu systems outside of the US sounds great. For myself, not only Europe, but availability in Canada too would get me to order one, since right now I can't.
    [Renouveau- How you can help get a free 3d nVidia driver] | Give AMD and ATI [feedback]on their drivers; why not ask them to give driver specifications so they work better | [Video]: How to create redistributable Debian packages (.deb files)

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: [Direct2Dell] Interest in Linux Outside the United States

Quote Originally Posted by jiminycricket View Post
    http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi.../12/17254.aspx

Considering increasing the availability of the Dell Ubuntu systems outside of the US sounds great. For myself, not only Europe, but availability in Canada too would get me to order one, since right now I can't.
    Bah! Too late for me, I already ordered a new computer... Wasted my damn money on Vista just to wipe it off. Its really not fair. Canadians always getting things slower >.>.

I do agree it would be nice if Dell did sell Linux/Ubuntu outside the US. I wonder if they are finding it profitable enough though... anyone got any US bound figures on sales?

Beans

the day dell offers laptops with ubuntu in canada will be the day i buy my laptop.

i work at bestbuy and even refuse to buy it there
    “There are two major products that have come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX. We don’t believe this to be a coincidence.”

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin