Thread: Using a Live CD to save a computer

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Question Using a Live CD to save a computer

Hey, a friend of mine's XP computer seems to be in that classic eternal "loading windows->computer resets" loop and I was wondering what I could do with the live CD. I know I could probably install ntfs-3g and recover files from the hard drive assuming it's not that what's damaged in the first place, but is there anything else I can do? Also, Ubuntu doesn't come already with ntfs-3g, and it worries me that I won't be able to connect to internet, so what's another distro that has a LiveCD with ntfs-3g included? I already have Knoppix's and PCLinux's .isos around somewhere, do any of those come with it?

Beans

Re: Using a Live CD to save a computer

You do not need any write support for ntfs, you could easily recover files without it if you are saving the information to a drive in another format. You could use GParted and create a partition on the same drive as Windows to move the files you wish to recover. You can use any live cd, but I recommend Knoppix or Slax if you can get them.

Linux, Knoppix, Ubuntu and others can READ NTFS, not write to it without a driver, so you can copy the files with no problem.

You probably don't want to use Linux to write to ntfs drives, as it can cause problems I hear.

If your hard drive starts, as it seems to be doing, the files can be recovered.

-edit Slax 6 has NTFS write support, I just found out http://www.slax.org/
    Last edited by LaRoza; June 12th, 2007 at 05:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Thanks. I guess what I'm looking for is either a LiveCD that mounts them automatically so I don't have to bother with terminal work or a guide on what commands to follow with Ubuntu's LiveCD so I can mount them and start the backup I know there's a tool with pretty interface for this(ntfs-config) but as I said I don't have internet available on the machine

Beans

Slax will mount the drives automatically I believe.

Beans

There are distros dedicate to rescue recovery functions, many posts about them here in the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Knoppix should mount your drives on the desktop. This will allow you to copy the data to a usb stick, cdr or to another networked pc.

Beans

Im having a somewhat similar problem. My XP PC is constantly restarting from the safemode screen with every choice it offers. I got ahold of an Ubuntu Live CD, and I can get to its desktop.

I can see my HD listed on the side, but when I try to access it it says it cant mount internal drives because of system policy and shows a little login window. It says the user is Ubuntu, and theres a spot for a password. I was never asked to make an account and password so I dont know what to type in there. Even if I did know the password, would I then have access to my files?

I have a 500gig external HD and I was planning on transfering all my files onto there through the Ubuntu Live CD. Would that work as easy as Im hoping it will? Just find all my files, copy/paste them over to my external HD, then reformat my internal HD, and copy/paste all my files back over?

Ive never used linux or Ubuntu before, so please be kind.

There's a recovery version of Ubuntu around here somewhere ... Rescubuntu? Is that right?

Edit: Aha! I found it on bapoumba's blog.

http://bapoumba.wordpress.com/2007/1...as-rescubuntu/

There's also this page in the wiki.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DataRecovery
    Last edited by K.Mandla; December 28th, 2007 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Found link(s).
    Ubuntu user #7247 :: Linux user #409907
    inconsolation.wordpress.com

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by The_Real_Crunk View Post
    Im having a somewhat similar problem. My XP PC is constantly restarting from the safemode screen with every choice it offers. I got ahold of an Ubuntu Live CD, and I can get to its desktop.

I can see my HD listed on the side, but when I try to access it it says it cant mount internal drives because of system policy and shows a little login window. It says the user is Ubuntu, and theres a spot for a password. I was never asked to make an account and password so I dont know what to type in there. Even if I did know the password, would I then have access to my files?

I have a 500gig external HD and I was planning on transfering all my files onto there through the Ubuntu Live CD. Would that work as easy as Im hoping it will? Just find all my files, copy/paste them over to my external HD, then reformat my internal HD, and copy/paste all my files back over?

Ive never used linux or Ubuntu before, so please be kind.
    How did you get to your Desktop?, Mine still says I/O error, Error reading Boot Cd.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iNeed View Post
    How did you get to your Desktop?, Mine still says I/O error, Error reading Boot Cd.
    Please create a new thread for your technical problems.

This thread is really old and the responses are out of date, especially mine about not being able to write to NTFS.