Thread: installing R on an AMD64 machine

Beans

installing R on an AMD64 machine

Hi!!

I've been trying to install R (the statistical software) in my PC. I'm working with Ubuntu 7.04 for AMD64 processors; I have not problem with the main program but I couldn't install any of the additional packages. It just doesn't work. I've read in the FAQ of R website, that the binaries sources are available for i386 and various Linux version, but only for Debian and AMD64. The additional packages are tested as well just for Debian...

Do I need to change from Ubuntu to Debian to fix this problem? Are someone here who was installed additional packages of R in an AMD processor using Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: installing R on an AMD64 machine

How are you trying to install the R packages? Are you using 'R CMD INSTALL' from the command line? If not, run '?INSTALL' from within R for an explanation, or check out:http://www.stat.psu.edu/~dhunter/R/h...l/INSTALL.html

Also, consider '?install.packages' from within R. This is a great way to retrieve or sync installed packages with CRAN.

I'm sure this is possible. Many of the labs I work with use AMD64 with an extensive suite of R libs.