Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Approval Application

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Approval Application

OK... I'm posting responding to Lyz's concerns in a new Thread... I'll call it - Politics, Theology, and Ubuntu LoCo's. I will also be blogging this in more detail... This applies to LoCos across the globe, thus I want to make sure that I say this correctly. The world will be watching! I will be starting a conversation with other LoCo contacts across the globe to start the discussion as well.
    - Bret
    Pennsylvania LoCo Team Contact
    http://breadthofreality.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

These are my feelings regarding the 'Roadmap"

I personally feel that the roadmap is growing into a wishlist or an all that we want to accomplish eventually list.

I think that the roadmap should only contain items and projects that have actually started on in a formal way.

If a project has been assigned to or taken by a sub-team then it belongs on the roadmap.

At most, the roadmap should only have the next (1) project planned for an active sub-team.

Ongoing support items should be removed as they are accounted for as part of the original event and that support is always going to be provided. This merely clutters the roadmap with a recap of all projects already completed.

The items that don't fit these parameters can be placed in a "Future Projects" or "To Do" category so that they don't get forgotten.

Filling space just to fill space doesn't seem real. If approval means padding your resume, then I am against approval. We have, and continue to do good work. The work done and the projects actively being worked on stand on their own merits.

All of the stuff currently listed are good ideas, but unfortunately, many of them are not on our roadmap currently and should be removed.
    irc - freenode #ubuntu-us-pa
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    -- Jedi Master Yoda

Beans

my understanding of the roadmap is that it's ideas for the future. Like a roadmap page of a software project, not all of those feature make it in but they're brainstormed and decided if they're feasible or not. It's where we're going, not where we are.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

alex
    that is understood

but, it should be a clear and concise roadmap -

at most, one project or event in the future for each sub-team and/or region.

it is completely editable, so to keep it feasible that is all that needs to be roadmapped.

you can't achieve item 3 until item 2 is completed - so to keep it orderly, i suggest 1 project/event forward for each sub-team and/or region.

Just throwing stuff up on the roadmap created the boy scout situation - no real talk / planning just someone's idea of a nice thing to do. NO. The roadmap should be stuff that has been discussed at least, if not already planned by a group (sub-team or region) and taken ownership of.
    Last edited by jedijf; June 17th, 2007 at 03:25 PM.
    irc - freenode #ubuntu-us-pa
    "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
    -- Jedi Master Yoda

Beans

See I don't agree with that that, I think the roadmap is a place to put up ideas, some may never materialize, others will. The roadmap as I understand it is a place to brainstorm ideas.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Jedijf is quite correct in the fact that the Roadmap needs to be paired down and edited before the Application is finalized. That raw list was never intended to be submitted.

Part of this issue is my fault because I encouraged people to put their wish list items there to be discussed before we decided what would end up being on the final Application.

A seperate wiki page would probably be better, as a wish list, I just was worried that we could get too many web pages to keep track of and that some would get "lost."
    - Bret
    Pennsylvania LoCo Team Contact
    http://breadthofreality.blogspot.com

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

According to LoCoGettingApproved:

Roadmap: Here you should list the things you want to do with the group. Instead of just listing ideas, it is always good to say who will be working on what items. As such, before you submit your application, talk to your group members and look for volunteers to nominate themselves to work on specific items. This always goes in favour of the group. Again, provide links to web pages and archives where relevant.
    Since the application is still in it's formation stages, I think it's OK for people to throw up ideas (maybe an idea will spur some other team member to act), but they should be (re)moved if no one takes ownership of them or follows up before we go to the CC for approval.
    Last edited by elizabeth; June 17th, 2007 at 04:19 PM.
    Elizabeth Krumbach // pleia2 // lyz@ubuntu.com
    http://princessleia.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Excellent Application!

I think you are ready for a blessing from Jono. I see no reason why he wouldn't have you guys and gals add yourselves to the next CC meeting!

I'll keep an eye out for the meeting time, I want to make sure I can be there to cheer your team on!

Great Work!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12