Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Some of the concepts used in Vista

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Some of the concepts used in Vista

UAC doesn't really strike me as superior. Basically, when you try to do something you need admin privileges for, it pops up and asks you to click continue if you're running as a user with admin rights. If you aren't, it asks for the admin password. Sudo asks for a password and temporarily grants admin rights. Root is disabled by default in Ubuntu, so you wouldn't be running as a user with root privileges to begin with, so you get the password. If anything, I'd say they are equal in their protection.
    Linux User #343227 | Ubuntu User #13191 | Website | Launchpad Profile | Twitter

Beans

I didn't mean to imply UAC was superior. I dislike it, because it really doesn't even have a potential of working out that well. The only thing that's good about it is the fact that it lasts only for one instance, where as sudo lasts for a certain amount of time.

But, this is inconsequential since even though sudo lasts for a while, it is restricted to the specific shell that it's run from. So unless the invading exploit can take over that specific shell, it can't use sudo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lem View Post
    UAC is a good idea. However, as the article hints - most users will happily enter their credentials to get the latest widget they've downloaded from the internet onto their machines.
    And herein lies the main problem with windows - the varied number of software channels. Most linux users get their software from repositories. These are managed and details of any malicious code would cause a major posting outbreak on the community forums. Users will still add 3rd party repositories to their system which could open them to vulnerabilities but these are also generally discussed through the community forums.
    You don't want to know how many times I have had to add new repositories, or download files because either the repositories are out of date or they refuse to update it because the software contains new features... Repositories are a nice idea, but that is all it is in real life it doesn't work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post
    I didn't mean to imply UAC was superior. I dislike it, because it really doesn't even have a potential of working out that well. The only thing that's good about it is the fact that it lasts only for one instance, where as sudo lasts for a certain amount of time.

But, this is inconsequential since even though sudo lasts for a while, it is restricted to the specific shell that it's run from. So unless the invading exploit can take over that specific shell, it can't use sudo.
    Sorry, I should have quoted... someone else on the thread had mentioned it may be superior. When I was trying out Vista when I first got my laptop, the first thing I researched was how to turn off UAC. I find it annoying.
    Linux User #343227 | Ubuntu User #13191 | Website | Launchpad Profile | Twitter

Beans

If you have to use Vista, creating a standard account in which to work in would probably be more beneficial than using the mandatory admin account.

I did that; however, explorer keeps crashing more than usual in the new account. I don't know why.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by maniacmusician View Post

Even though I don't use sudo, I think the time limit is configurable. It was only set to 15 minutes because people whinge about typing in the password for every administrative command.
    IESVS FELLAT IN INFERNVM

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by runningwithscissors View Post
    Even though I don't use sudo, I think the time limit is configurable. It was only set to 15 minutes because people whinge about typing in the password for every administrative command.
    Yeah, I personally have moved downed the window of time to 3 minutes.
    Disregard anything I post...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12