Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electrical Engineering vs Computer Engineering

Beans

Electrical Engineering vs Computer Engineering

Hi everybody,
    since September I'll be attending university and now I have to choose the degree course I want to attend.
    I'm a bit undecided between computer engineering and electrical engineering (which actually is electronics engineering for those living in Europe).
    I kind of think that computer science (at least the most common and requested skills and knowledge) can be studied as self-taught (especially if you really like it and are inclined to it), while it would be surely harder to learn subjects such as physics or other electronics-related ones.
    So an electrical engineering degree might be a bit more qualifier, mightn't it?
    Moreover, you can see an electrical engineer working with computer languages and algorithms or doing a computer engineering job, while the contrary is quite uncommon, isn't it?
    So an electrical engineer should have a broader perspective.

So, what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I'd just like to underline that I do not want to start any flames, just a constructive discussion.
    Last edited by luca_linux; June 9th, 2007 at 09:50 PM.

Beans

Re: Electrical Engineering vs Computer Engineering

Why not get a double degree, and learn both?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have had friends with various engineering degrees end up doing computer engineering and/or programming. With a good knowledge set it is easier to learn computer science by yourself than other fields, just as you suspect.

If you are enjoying both, then I suggest either electrical engineering, or do a double major with both. You already have a good start on the computer engineering side (I remember your ipw2200+wpa thread from 2005/6).
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

At my uni... there are options within computer eng.

hardware option, is basicly EE, with the power electives removed and software in its place.
    software option, is computer science with EE first two years.

Beans

First of all thanks for answers. I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one thinking this way about EE and CEng.
    Yeah, a double degree would be great, but I haven't even started, so it's kinda too early to start thinking about a second major or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by hardyn View Post
    software option, is computer science with EE first two years.
    That's the standard option offered by the university I'm going to attend, even though you can always customize a bit your curriculum.

@ Matthew: I'm really glad to see you liked my HowTo and still remember about it. I don't think it has much to do with computer engineering, though.

Anyway, yeah, I've learned C/C++ and now I'm focusing on Java and would like to learn Haskell. Nothing professional anyway, but I think it's a start and good to know already.

Anyway, I was also thinking that you could work in the biomedical field too with an electrical engineering degree, which would be interesting.
    Last edited by luca_linux; June 9th, 2007 at 10:52 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by luca_linux View Post
    @ Matthew: I'm really glad to see you liked my HowTo and still remember about it. I don't think it has much to do with computer engineering, though.
    lol. Yeah, I just meant you obviously enjoy the computer side of things and are motivated to learn...as evidenced again by your learning C/C++ and Java. The other side might not be as quick/easy for you to get motivated to learn on your own no matter how interested you are...and the materials and resources aren't as easy to find.

Good luck either way!
    what's a troll? | my blog | my writing | Ubuntu Unleashed

Don't ask support questions in PMs--post a thread so everyone can benefit!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

When I got my MS at UTEP I was offered a choice- either EE or CE on my degree. Courses were the same, more or less. My thesis was a multiplier design- hardware focused. I could have gone either way- guess for you it would depend on whether or not you want to focus on computers or other electronic devices. You would probably get more computer related topics in CE, though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    lol. Yeah, I just meant you obviously enjoy the computer side of things and are motivated to learn...as evidenced again by your learning C/C++ and Java. The other side might not be as quick/easy for you to get motivated to learn on your own no matter how interested you are...and the materials and resources aren't as easy to find.

Good luck either way!
    Yeah, I got it. I was just saying.

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Check.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Well, computer engineering isn't computer science either though, so don't be tricked into thinking "programming can be learned on the side" means not to do CE. Comp Sci is more programming and high-level languages. Computer engineers are more likely to work on low-level languages and have to worry about architectures and stuff. The CS majors (like me) don't get to learn a lot of C and about hardware too much (which is annoying, as I'd like to learn how drivers are written), but CE majors do (and I can't switch to that because it's not offered as a BA, only BS, but dual-majors are only offered for BA at my school). At least, that's what it means at my school.
    Last edited by macogw; June 10th, 2007 at 04:42 AM.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast