Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Electrical Engineering vs Computer Engineering

Beans

Re: Electrical Engineering vs Computer Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by B-Con View Post
    I used to be a Computer Engineering major. Two years in, and before I'd taken many classes specific to it, I realized that it was (no offense to the EE and CE majors here ) boring. So right now I'm a dual math and computer science, much more interesting stuff in my opinion.

Not that this is necessarily on topic... just browsing the forum while waiting for stuff to compile.
    I was going to tack on maths to my degree but it would take 5 rather then 4 years to complete. i just want to get out there
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by jn25b View Post
    An EE degree lets you read hardware specs and logic interfaces, and write hardware drivers.
    Actually, I think that is more likely to be the job of a computer engineer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slimdog360 View Post
    I was going to tack on maths to my degree but it would take 5 rather then 4 years to complete. i just want to get out there
    I hear you.

I also wound up doing 2.5 years of undergrad work (started mid-way through the year), which could've been done in 2 years if I'd known I was going to switch.

Go ahead, ask me if I'm bitter about not fully ditching my last year of high school, starting at the very beginning of the year, doing it all in 2 years, and being another year ahead in school right now. Ah well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by regomodo View Post
    i'm just starting my 4th year of my electronic engineering degree.

tbf, i haven't learnt much about electronics in the conventional sense. i've done a few bs modules (management, h&s, business, finance) but most of the modules require some form of programming for simulation/design.

I feel that when i finish this degree i won't actually have a solid understanding of any of it or have skills that i am proficient in to be employable

We haven't been taught pcb design/testing, verilog or vhdl, c/c++/matlab. Most of those i've had to teach myself, and vhdl without a book as the uni doesn't have one.

I'd like to get into embedded systems but i doubt that'll happen
    I am on 3rd year EEE (Electrical and Electronic Engineering),we have a course plan which gives the basics of Communication,Electronic,Power as well as Computer Engineering.From now on,courses are going to be more specialized and I have chosen Computer as Major subject of specialization and communication as minor.in the last two years,we had core Math,Physics,chemistry courses as well as basic EEE courses,and some humanities stuff.But now the nondepartmental courses are almost gone,only one form IPE remains.
    So far,I have to say,I am satisfied with what I've been offered and learned.Verilog,SPICE,MATLAB has been taught.C/C++ was also offered,but unfortunately it didnt get on too well with me.

Maybe your Uni can take some leafs off our course plan .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shafin View Post
    I am on 3rd year EEE (Electrical and Electronic Engineering),we have a course plan which gives the basics of Communication,Electronic,Power as well as Computer Engineering.From now on,courses are going to be more specialized and I have chosen Computer as Major subject of specialization and communication as minor.in the last two years,we had core Math,Physics,chemistry courses as well as basic EEE courses,and some humanities stuff.But now the nondepartmental courses are almost gone,only one form IPE remains.
    So far,I have to say,I am satisfied with what I've been offered and learned.Verilog,SPICE,MATLAB has been taught.C/C++ was also offered,but unfortunately it didnt get on too well with me.

Maybe your Uni can take some leafs off our course plan .
    Well, unfortunately our Uni has been cutting back on expenditure on useful things like decent Professors lecturing (we did but have some (in my 1st year) but then they were given the choice of redundancy or Lecturers pay. Very few stayed.

They seem to have spent a lot of money turning our Engineering school into a conference center. A couple of my PHD friends managed to get a hold of the brochure the school was ordering from. A £800 table for one seems to be a bit over the top.

Our electronics lab was taken over and moved into our other lab that won't fit. Instead of an updated components inventory/development boards (we had to scrounge 2 off a lecturer for our independent projects) we got TFT screens for PCs that aren't networked or powerful enough for the applications we need. The only digital oscilloscope we have is broken. The logic analyser (6502) works, just, but were never taught how to use it formally. No surface mount soldering or reworking equipment. No etching or PCB fabricating of any type.

AFAIK we used to have a Linux course for the Computer Science guys but not anymore. Also the Linux machines are gone apart from a hugish Unix cluster to run Finite Element software (Abaqus) which is the only one decent enough (timewise) for reasonable sized models. My PHD friend uses it a lot for modeling hip replacements. Takes hours apparently.

I'm not too concerned about verilog, i know a little of VHDL that i taught myself with only webpages as our only book is poorly written and rarely there. I've bought my own and is pretty good. Students Guide to VHDL IIRC. Spice would have been nice to know as i hear it's a widely used program in industry.

I see you have a Engineering Drawing module. I get that in my 4th year. From what i've heard we are shown a picture of a car (and it's components) and told to draw it in Autocad. That doesn't sound fun considering i've only used it to draw a spindle for a 1st year project.

As far as i can tell the Engineering school is phasing out EE as most people take Mechanical or Civil. Their facilities are good, well the Mechies have it good.

Bit of a rant but i'm full of caffeine
    Last edited by regomodo; August 17th, 2007 at 09:09 PM. Reason: grammar
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234