Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Engineering vs Computer Engineering

Beans

Re: Electrical Engineering vs Computer Engineering

An EE degree lets you read hardware specs and logic interfaces, and write hardware drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by luca_linux View Post
    Hi everybody,
    since September I'll be attending university and now I have to choose the degree course I want to attend.
    I'm a bit undecided between computer engineering and electrical engineering (which actually is electronics engineering for those living in Europe).
    I kind of think that computer science (at least the most common and requested skills and knowledge) can be studied as self-taught (especially if you really like it and are inclined to it), while it would be surely harder to learn subjects such as physics or other electronics-related ones.
    So an electrical engineering degree might be a bit more qualifier, mightn't it?
    Moreover, you can see an electrical engineer working with computer languages and algorithms or doing a computer engineering job, while the contrary is quite uncommon, isn't it?
    So an electrical engineer should have a broader perspective.

So, what do you suggest?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I'd just like to underline that I do not want to start any flames, just a constructive discussion.
    The discipline you choose typically effects only your first job or two. Most of what you learn (attention to detail, logical thinking, etc) is interdisciplinary and a you will have to learn allot about how what your company designs actually works.

It is also very easy to self teach any subject if you are inclined to, not just CS. Seeing as you think it easier to self teach Computer stuff I would think you would have a better time learning to be a Comp Eng. I think the most important thing to ask yourself is "What do I want my first job to be?" Pick the discipline that relates best to that career. If you work hard and are good at what you do, it won't matter which you went to school for, only that have a P. Eng. at the end of your name.

PS - Engineers of all types are in high demand worldwide and you shouldn't worry about which will have the most jobs available at graduation.
    AMD Opteron 165 | 3GB | ATI Radeon X1800

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I began my undergraduate degree in computer engineering, and later switched to electrical engineering. Electrical is a bit broader and I seemed to enjoy it more. Since I graduated over 15 years ago, I've seen that both degrees will ultimately teach you to think critically, which is vitally important as your career progresses.

Pick whichever one you enjoy more. Your first job will probably be closely related to your degree, but later ones will depend upon where you choose to take your career.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I am almost done with my Bachelors of Science in Electronics Engineering with a concentration in Computer and Digital Engineering. Electronics engineering is the study of mostly low-voltage, wattage devices for the most part.

I am currently applying for my Masters in Computer Science and Engineering.

I would say go with Computer Engineering focus's on computer design and implementation. I've learned about hardware interfaces, interconnects, VHDL, FPGA's, programming USB devices etc. I would say if you like to program but want to know more about how the hardware works, mainly how it interprets the data then choose Computer Engineering, if you want a broader scope then choose Electronics Engineering.

Beans

With my EE degree we had various options on where we wanted to specialize in during the 2nd two years. I did analog VLSI because at the time ,~6 years ago, there were only a hand full of schools offering it. Plus the prof was really good.

Basically depend on what you want to do. But if you're like me you'll have no idea what a EE actually does in real life. So you don't really know what you want to focus on in school.

From my experience in the industry:

Chip architecture is a good direction. You do mostly logic design and high level brainstorming. (lots of patents are paid out to these guys.) Verilog, and VHDL are used a lot.

Circuit design - VLSI - schematic entry for silicon chips (Intel, amd, RF devices). Analog or digital. You'll Live in CA, Austin,tx, or a few various other places. Scripting languages are good. PERL etc... Analog guys w/10+ years are paid lots. Analog is tough to get into- digital is cheaper to make so companies shy away from analog designs.

Circuit design - PCB board level. mother boards, graphic cards are examples. tons of companies do this kind of work. More options on where you'd like to live. You'll get to work in the lab testing, and debugging stuff.

Software - pretty self explanatory. Probaly want to stick with computer science, but an EE degree would be good enough. Once you learn a couple languages you can ramp up on new ones pretty quick.

Power electronics. You'll get to work out doors more and on sites. I wish I would have done this. In school this was the least 'glamorous' direction.

Your first job out of college will most likely define what you do for the rest of your career.

Beans

i'm just starting my 4th year of my electronic engineering degree.

tbf, i haven't learnt much about electronics in the conventional sense. i've done a few bs modules (management, h&s, business, finance) but most of the modules require some form of programming for simulation/design.

I feel that when i finish this degree i won't actually have a solid understanding of any of it or have skills that i am proficient in to be employable

We haven't been taught pcb design/testing, verilog or vhdl, c/c++/matlab. Most of those i've had to teach myself, and vhdl without a book as the uni doesn't have one.

I'd like to get into embedded systems but i doubt that'll happen
    Last edited by regomodo; July 16th, 2007 at 01:36 AM.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by regomodo View Post
    i'm just starting my 4th year of my electronic engineering degree.

tbf, i haven't learnt much about electronics in the conventional sense. i've done a few bs modules (management, h&s, business, finance) but most of the modules require some form of programming for simulation/design.

I feel that when i finish this degree i won't actually have a solid understanding of any of it or have skills that i am proficient in to be employable

We haven't been taught pcb design/testing, verilog or vhdl, c/c++/matlab. Most of those i've had to teach myself, and vhdl without a book as the uni doesn't have one.

I'd like to get into embedded systems but i doubt that'll happen
    What college did you go to, because sounds like they have no idea how to even make an EE curriculum?

Beans

I am surprised about the C/C++/matlab stuff. I had to learn that in my first year and I am in Mechanical engineering...

Beans

i'm in a uni in England. We did c++, very briefly and have never touched it again in about 1.5yrs.

The course doesn't seem to flow with each module or to anywhere.

Meh, i shouldn't expect it to get better with their cutbacks and frivolous spending on unnecessary items.

We haven't even been taught how to use Spice, we used Multisim, and then it was just "here is some software for circuit simulation. Good luck"

Out of all of the things I've listed the only thing they "taught" us was c++. We were expected to know matlab, vhdl, without any teaching. For example, for vhdl, we were given a large project on vhdl (serial/parallel multiplier logic circuit i think). We had no prior lessons on vhdl and 3 examples of vhdl (buffer (useless), a counter (which i later learned to be bloated), and something else). Needless to say i couldn't do it (we have only 1 book on vhdl which was so crap i bought my own in the end, unfortunately not for this project) so i just did it in schematic design and basically told the "lecturer" to stuff it.

This same lecturer, whilst having a meeting about a different project, asked if my motorbike was front or rear wheel drive.
    Last edited by regomodo; July 16th, 2007 at 10:35 AM.
    Is this for enhancing your E-peen?

Beans

I used to be a Computer Engineering major. Two years in, and before I'd taken many classes specific to it, I realized that it was (no offense to the EE and CE majors here ) boring. So right now I'm a dual math and computer science, much more interesting stuff in my opinion.

Not that this is necessarily on topic... just browsing the forum while waiting for stuff to compile.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast