Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electrical Engineering vs Computer Engineering

Beans

Re: Electrical Engineering vs Computer Engineering

An electronic engineer and an electrical engineer are two different things. Electronics are for pussies while electrical engineers get to play with the big stuff. lol just kidding, they are two different things but are very close to one another. Think of electronics engineering (and computer engineering) a subset of electrical engineering, they are all very similar.

What you should do is ask your self what type of job you want to be doing in the future and then talk to a few people in the business. Ring up or email your Uni and ask to talk to the head of the electrical engineering department. Im sure he (sorry ladies but its always a he in engineering) would be more then happy to help you.

The main thing is is that you have to set out some clear questions which will help you make up your mind. Im actually a 3rd year (of a four year degree) electrical engineer and I am already working in the business so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by slimdog360 View Post
    (sorry ladies but its always a he in engineering)
    The head of my school's Computer Science Department (which is a part of the engineering school) is a woman. She got the Ada Lovelace Award 2 years ago.

LinuxChix | Linux User #432169 | Ubuntu User #8495 | IRC: maco @ irc.linuxchix.org or irc.freenode.net

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by macogw View Post
    The head of my school's Computer Science Department (which is a part of the engineering school) is a woman. She got the Ada Lovelace Award 2 years ago.
    like I said, engineering
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slimdog360 View Post
    An electronic engineer and an electrical engineer are two different things. Electronics are for pussies while electrical engineers get to play with the big stuff. lol just kidding, they are two different things but are very close to one another. Think of electronics engineering (and computer engineering) a subset of electrical engineering, they are all very similar.

What you should do is ask your self what type of job you want to be doing in the future and then talk to a few people in the business. Ring up or email your Uni and ask to talk to the head of the electrical engineering department. Im sure he (sorry ladies but its always a he in engineering) would be more then happy to help you.

The main thing is is that you have to set out some clear questions which will help you make up your mind. Im actually a 3rd year (of a four year degree) electrical engineer and I am already working in the business so if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    Read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronics_engineering
    That's why I used the "Electrical" term which seems to be more "international". In fact for example if you go on Intel's jobs web site (as well as other companies) they usually require electrical engineering degree, meaning electronics though.
    Anyway I'd prefer electronics classes to the electrical ones...

Anyway, thanks for your help. I'll think of a couple of questions to ask you.
    Last edited by luca_linux; June 10th, 2007 at 09:58 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Im studying electrical and electronics engineering (In the end you choose one of them as a profession.) Most of people thinks that computer engineering is learning "programming languages" but its not. You will also learn microprocessors, digital circuits, electrical circuits. In electronics you will learn mostly digital circuits, microprocessors, some electrical circuits, and some programming. In electrical engineering you will learn mostly electrical circuits, high voltage systems, power systems, some digital circuits etc.

As a result:
    Computer Engineering: Mostly Software, Some Hardware.
    Electronic Engineering: Mostly Hardware, Some Software.
    Electrical Engineering: Electrical Devices and min knowledge of Software

But you can learn most of the programming languages from courses, pdf's but you can't learn Hardware by yourself and also studying comp. eng. is funnier than others.

Choice is yours.

Beans

Both should allow you registration with a professional body as a Prof. Eng.

If I could choose I would do Computer Engineering. I did stuff in electronic eng like power electronics which was about stuff like motors, generators and some stuff I did not like. I would have prefered to stick more to the digital electronics side of things. There should be some leeway in your curriculum for odd changes here and there anyway.

Weird thing is I used very little of what i studied when i started working although my background gave me a big advange.

Beans

Any other opinion/suggestion?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

A while ago as an undergraduate I studied Electronic and Electrical engineering, after the third year I could have changed that to Electronic an Information engineering, anyway I think if you start on the electronics stream you should be able to move towards the computer science stuff later. Remember though your bias will tend to be writing computer programs as an Engineer and not as a computer scientist. I enjoy writing control systems software, stuff that moves robots around, although since the IT chap left our R&D office, I've been doing more IT stuff.

So, in my view, I would start out with the Electronic / electrical, if you are keen to have a strong electronics engineering edge to your programming & want to know what makes things work at a low level.

Another way of looking at it is: Do you see computer programming as an end in itself? (OR) do you see it as a tool to achieve some other job?
    Last edited by gusjones; June 11th, 2007 at 01:55 PM.
    <°)))><<

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gusjones View Post
    Remember though your bias will tend to be writing computer programs as an Engineer and not as a computer scientist.
    So, what's the difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by gusjones View Post
    Another way of looking at it is: Do you see computer programming as an end in itself? (OR) do you see it as a tool to achieve some other job?
    I see it as a tool to achieve some other job.
    So what does that say about me?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

From your replies, I would see you more as doing the Electronic/Electrical option.

A computer scientist tends to be more of a high level programmer and in my experience they're more into the thrill of writing the code itself.

For me as an Engineer (who still has roots in Electronics), I prefer to see software as a tool to get jobs done, and I enjoy writing lower level code, (i.e. not front end stuff), to move physical things like motors around-- and as such I need to know about the physics of motors, etc. so my background is essential. It may be that for you some of the type of programming you see yourself doing in the future requires an essential knowledge of the 'hard' end of electronics.

Still, you'll only use 10% of what you learn
    ----------

I know that my view is a rather sweeping generalisation and many people will have a different slant on things.

Anyway my2pworth.
    Last edited by gusjones; June 11th, 2007 at 03:17 PM.
    <°)))><<

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast