Thread: Howto: Move /home and secure your files and configuration

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Howto: Move /home and secure your files and configuration

Quote Originally Posted by kultex
    I found something:

I changed my fstab entry to:

/dev/hdxx /home/"username"/windows_e vfat user,rw,exec,uid="username",gid="username" 0 0

now, the whole partition belongs to the user, but still it is not possible to make a link - when I try this in Nautilus, I get all the time: Error "Operation not permitted" while creating a link to "/home/tom/windows_e/Bilder"

But with the filemanager gentoo or emelfm it is possible - so this is just a problem of Ubuntu, Gnome or Nautilus.
    I don't think you have to set the owner in fstab. But try to chown username mount_directory
    Last edited by Lunde; July 31st, 2005 at 08:55 PM.
    Fredrik Lunde | Vergic AB
    www.vergic.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: Howto: Move /home and secure your files and configuration

I have another partition at the end of /home and was wondering if I used a partitioner in windows and merged the end partition with the /home partition making one big /home partition, would I have to edit anything in Ubuntu or would Ubuntu pick up that the /home partition is bigger than it used to be??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I would'nt suggest using a windows partitioner don't even know if it supports Ext3 or the partition type your home is located on. You should do a backup or just move the files first then recreate / expand your /home partition with fdisk or some other partitioning tool for linux. Be careful so you don't screw up your system.
    www.vergic.com

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Talking Re: Howto: Move /home and secure your files and configuration

Thanks for the reply..
    I have partition Magic and Acronis Disk Director. - I Know Partition Magic doesn't support EXT3, but the Disk Director suite does, so I was planning on using that to do it..
    Hehehe I already made 3 backups of my /home partition and have them safely stored away on both my main computer and my networked computer, (I like being better safe than sorry)
    I guess I was just a little worried that by increasing the size of /home that Ubuntu wouldn't like it without me doing a fresh install...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Lunde
    Then we need to copy all the files from your /home directory, this may take a while since you probably have a lot of documents to move
    Code:
    # cp -a /home/* /mnt/home
    Please don't. cp is not safe nor designed for mirroring tasks.

You should use a proper tool such as
    Code:
    rsync -aS /origin/. /target/.
    or a simple
    Code:
    cd /origin && tar cf - . | ( cd /target ; tar xf - )
    Personally I prefer rsync because it can do md5 checksums on all files to decide if they need copying or not, by adding the "-c" flag.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

No problem increasing the size of /home.
    www.vergic.com

Beans
    Hidden!

Lunde can this be done when installing ubuntu for the frist time, when it ask the user to set up partitions. also what size do you all use for your home dir. i was thinking of setting up partitions like this.. just wanted to know if anyone else has set up their system like this, and how did it work out. Thanks for any, and all help.

/boot
    /
    /usr/
    /home/
    Advantages and Disadvantages of 64bit.(Plus install Guides)

‘In search of some small measure of peace, that we all seek, and few of us ever find.’

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SD-Plissken
    Lunde can this be done when installing ubuntu for the frist time, when it ask the user to set up partitions. also what size do you all use for your home dir. i was thinking of setting up partitions like this.. just wanted to know if anyone else has set up their system like this, and how did it work out. Thanks for any, and all help.
    /boot
    /
    /usr/
    /home/
    Though I did not have a separate /boot partition, I have other three separately on my desktop and it works fine. I guess you should allow 3-4 gigs for /usr and 2-3 for /, leaving the rest for /home.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I guess you can have as meny partitions you like, just be aware that you lose some space because you need to allocate the partitions larger then the content that it will contain, if you have one big partition you need less free space.

There are benefits to have a seperate boot partition and a seperate /home partition, but for the rest, I guess for a small system running on 1 disk it's more beneficial to keep it in one partition. If you run out of space later, you can mount a new partition or disk as your /usr.

As for the size of the /home.. this is up to you, as large as you need, it depends only on how much personal stuff and programs are you going to store on your disk.

It all comes down to how and what you use your system for, if it's a webserver, personal computer, network server etc and what programs your running.

There are some benefits of which filesystem your running on the different partitions / disks, depending if your handling many small files or some very large files and how frequent files are moved etc..
    www.vergic.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Thanks dradul, I'll make a note in the howto above
    www.vergic.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast