Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoary repositories offline?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Hoary repositories offline?

Once again, may I suggest someone files a bug report? That all the repos disappear does sound like a bug to me.
    (sorry if a bug has already been filed, please provide a link).
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

I would file a bug report, but I have not the capability to do so. If someone else could do it, that would be great. I think Mr Shuttleworth should think this matter over very carefully.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

All obsolete versions are now removed from the main archive (ie. archive.ubuntu.com and its mirrors) not long after they become unsupported. Keep in mind that mirror space is limited, and one architecture of one release is about 12GiB. Assuming four supported architectures over three releases, that's about 144GiB, plus the source packages. That's not insignificant, and there's no point in burdening mirrors with it as nobody should be using unsupported releases any more.

That said, if you really want to be using a completely unsupported and likely insecure release, you can replace archive.ubuntu.com with old-releases.ubuntu.com, which still hosts the (no longer updated) repositories for warty, hoary and breezy.
    William Grant
    Ubuntu Developer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks a lot for the link. Now I see that it is also linked on this site here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/
    For old releases, see old-releases.ubuntu.com
    I guess the URL-Syntax is a litte different in /etc/apt/sources.list it must be old-releases.ubunutu.com/releases and so on. (not sure)

I also want to mention, that newer releases of ubuntu in fact run faster than the prevoius ones. Even on old machines. For machines with less than 256 MB RAM the alternate install CD (or the DVD) is needed - just for the installation.

So if someone has e.g. an old laptop and no kernel problems, feisty will run faster than breezy or hoary.

Maybe consider a minimal installation and then install just the things you need, because the newer releases might seem slower because of more feautures. (Or installing default an deinstalling all that stuff) But im my experience the base system (incl. Gnome) is getting faster and cares more about resources than the older ones.
    Last edited by ChrisNiemy; July 16th, 2007 at 09:56 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks a lot fujitsu
    Sorry I did not look at the proper places.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans

That said, if you really want to be using a completely unsupported and likely insecure release, you can replace archive.ubuntu.com with old-releases.ubuntu.com, which still hosts the (no longer updated) repositories for warty, hoary and breezy.
    Oh man YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!! C'MON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks! I'm off to install UBUNTU HOARY on some computars.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Quote Originally Posted by fujitsu View Post
    How long will each release stay on the "old-releases" site? It'd be nice to know that hoary won't be erased from history.

Also, I'm on dialup, and a full release upgrade is pretty much out of the question. I stick with software as long as it works for me (although I did recently order feisty from the shipit page)... Win98, on my other partition, is no longer supported in any way, shape, or form; I can't even download a driver from Microsoft. I'd hate to see Ubuntu -- the best Linux distro I've tried in many years -- go the same route in that regard, (even if for different reasons than Microsoft's).

db

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Thanks all
    I gully understand the "it takes up space which costs us money" scenario.
    the reason why im dubious about updating the laptop was that i once tried just that...the one after hoary..It just died wouldnt intsall at all and was told, on this site!! to not attempt such things on such lame computers.
    I know some have had things run well on the the toshiba satelites but I no smarty popcorn and settled for something that at least worked if not very very slow.

However! It seems i have secured another laptop..old but not as old as the last one

so I intend on putting ubuntu on the newy and then that will allow me to play around with the oldie without fear of loosing anything.

Yeah!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Hoary 5.04

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNiemy View Post
    I guess the URL-Syntax is a litte different in /etc/apt/sources.list it must be old-releases.ubunutu.com/releases and so on. (not sure)
    Has anyone out there been able to access old-releases.ubuntu.com/releases?? I'm able to view Google's cached version of the site to see what's there, but the site itself hasn't responded at all in the past day.

db

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

works for me

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast