Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I B M~ Model M "Clicky" Keyboard!

Beans

Red face I B M~ Model M "Clicky" Keyboard!

I am thinking of buying one of these and was just wondering if anybody else is using one?

WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN PURCHASING AN IBM MODEL M KEYBOARD
    The IBM model M keyboard is that rare piece of computing technology which is both a vintage collectible item and also a useful tool in today's computing environment. IBM model M keyboards are unique in that each one is individually labeled with a serial number and the "date of birth" is printed on the back. They were first built in 1985 and were produced through the 1980s and 1990s, until 1999. Under each keyboard key there is an individual spring that when compressed converts physical force into an electrical signal. Most modern "free with purchase" keyboards used cheaper rubber-pad based technology. In addition, inside each model M keyboard is a steel curved plate for durability while providing a slight ergonomic curved angle to typing. The individual key tops are removable for easy cleaning or for switching the format of the keyboard for different input languages Finally, the lettering on each individual key is physically molded and integrated into the plastic key top (not painted on or a sticker, like on cheap keyboards). If you have made the decision to purchase your first vintage IBM model M keyboard to replace your existing lowest-cost-to-produce / disposable keyboard, there are a few tips on how to select the best keyboard.

There are a number of variants of the IBM model M keyboard. Most people are looking for the original IBM extended keyboard with 101 keys, with the model # 1391401 with a standard PS/2 plug on the end of the keyboard cable. These keyboards either have the IBM logo in black text on white background, or (a smaller number) blue text on gray background.

1391401 keyboard
    • Alternately, model # 1390120 (1986- 1987) and # 1390131 (1986 - 1987 and 1993) are similar keyboards that will also work with the modern-day PC, but will require the use of a 5-pin DIN AT to mini-din ps/2 connector. Minor differences include slightly heavier construction and the use of a silver metal IBM logo in upper right-hand corner. 1390120 does not have any LED indicator lights, while 1390131 has set of three standard LED lights.

1390120 keyboard

1390131 keyboard
    • IBM model 42H1292 is also a relatively common IBM model M keyboard. It has a permanently attached keyboard cable and has slightly poorer build-quality vs. a 1391401 keyboard. but it still has mechanical keyswitches and is much better than 95% of new "rubber dome" keyboards produced today.

42H1292 keyboard
    • Beware of buying IBM model M keyboards intended for IBM TERMINAL COMPUTERS. These have a 5-pin DIN connector or RJ-45 like connector at the end (looks like an Ethernet cable or telephone cable end), but they CANNOT be used or interfaced to work on a PC.
      • IBM model M keyboards (#1390238 or #25H2142) are for IBM TERMINAL computers and are also clearly labeled as model M, but they are NOT compatible with modern PC desktops
      • These keyboards usually have 122-keys or 101-keys.
    • These collectible IBM keyboards were produced from 1985 to 1999.
      • Some people claim that they are selling an IBM model M from 1984, based on the fact that the printed label on the back says © 1984 . I have collected 800 - 1000 and from various other online references, the earliest IBM model M keyboard in my collection clearly has a production date from November 1985.
      • If you have a seller that is trying to say that his keyboard was built in 1984.. he's either ignorant of these keyboards.. or is trying to fool you into buying something that was probably built in the 1990s. How much genius does it take to read a label in the format of 12-19-91 and not be able to translate the date in December 19, 1991 (and not just read the (c) IBM Corp. 1984 logo and think keyboard was built in 1984.
    Other very nice IBM model M variants are
    • IBM model M2 or 1395300. These keyboards weigh about 3 pounds (1/2 of a full-size IBM model M). They use the same mechanical key switches and are as satisfying to type on as full size 1391401.
      IBM 84-key space saver keyboard (model# 1391472, 1397681, 1370475, 1392464, 1392934,1395100 ). This is essentially similar to an IBM model M keyboard, but it does not have the numeric keyboard on the right-hand side. It does not require as much desktop space as a full-size model M keyboard and can be used with 19" rack mount servers.

1391472 keyboard
      IBM keyboard with trackpoint pointing device (part# 82G3281, model M13).. These are similar to IBM thinkpads and other laptops in that there is a pointing stick built into the keyboard. While a keyboard and a separate mouse is the common and optimal configuration for most users.. there are some environments where the use of a mouse is not possible. In these cases, the IBM trackpoint built-in a keyboard is a handy alternative. IBM keyboard with trackpoint pointing device (part # 13H6710 or 13H6705, model M13). These are the only IBM clicky keyboards that come in black
    13H6705 keyboard
    http://www.clickykeyboard.com/buyersguide.htm

Beans

Red face Re: I B M~ Model M "Clicky" Keyboard!

Quote Originally Posted by RAV TUX View Post
    I am thinking of buying one of these and was just wondering if anybody else is using one?

Also:
    IBM keyboard for industrial PCs (part# 1394946, model M). These keyboards are interesting for their particular color which deviates from standard computer "white" or "black". The color is sometimes described as gray, but we think it looks more like military olive drab
    1394946 keyboard
    IBM keyboard without mechanical "buckling springs" (part# 71G4644). While it appears identical and shares same physical dimensions to a "traditional IBM model M", this keyboard uses "rubber dome" key switches and as such does not "click" "clack" noise as in other keyboards of this series. Keyboard is as well constructed as 1391401, but it is intended for environments where noise control is an issue (libraries, quiet offices, shared cubicles), etc..

Beans

Re: I B M~ Model M "Clicky" Keyboard!

I honestly want the original model:

There are a number of variants of the IBM model M keyboard. Most people are looking for the original IBM extended keyboard with 101 keys, with the model # 1391401 with a standard PS/2 plug on the end of the keyboard cable. These keyboards either have the IBM logo in black text on white background, or (a smaller number) blue text on gray background.

1391401 keyboard

Beans

I totally have one of these!! It's currently connected to my bleeding edge PC-AT 12MHz 286

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've got one of the black ones and a couple of the M2s on my servers. I hate typing on them as they are too loud and the rate of travel from top to pressed is too much for my taste. When I'm at my peak in typing speeds, I'll top out around 100wpm and these clacky keyboards sound like machine guns at that rate. I like the scissor switches (similar to those found on a laptop) or the membrane type. The ones I prefer are the individual spring keys... but those keyboards are expensive as all getup. As indestructible as the cherry switches but quieter than the scissor type.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by daschmidty View Post
    I totally have one of these!! It's currently connected to my bleeding edge PC-AT 12MHz 286
    WOW! What OS do you run on that?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

I had one of these connected on my older computer, which then went to my little brother... who dropped it on the floor! Didn't remember what exactly happened to it but it went pretty much to pieces. Damm...
    <Vang> Hmm, he's suddenly awfully quiet.
    <Paul> its tough typing with 1 hand.
    <Paul> quote me on that and die, pigs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'll look and see what mine is.

Beans

I have one of these. It is currently attached to a fully functional IBM PS/2 Model 30-286 (with harddrive!).

Beans

The PC-AT runs IBM PCDOS 2.0 from a 20 meg MFM HD. (It's sitting next to my NEC V20 powered pc8801 running CPM/80 2.2 )

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast