Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntuzilla testing: please help if you can :)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntuzilla testing: please help if you can :)

Another thing I was thinking of as a feature request (I know you already have a lot of things you're thinking of, but I'll just throw this out there): man page?

Right now, you do
    Code:
    ubuntuzilla.py -help
    which is fine, but I think it may help some veterans (or even relative beginners) to know that
    Code:
    man ubuntuzilla
    would work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

that's a good idea - the thought has crossed my mind, but then i realized i don't know how to make man pages.

i'll look into it when i have some time - man pages /are/ nice.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Nanotube,

Thanks for creating the ThunderbirdNewVersion page and keeping the Tbird pages updated. I based my Wiki updates on the Thunderbird discussed from the x86_64 forums. I didn't know about existence of this forum on Tbird.

I have a question about the 64-bit Ubuntuzilla script. As far as I can see, the script installs only the 32-bit binaries from release.mozilla.org and, per http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/#tochome23, requires 32-bit libraries to work. However, the repository supports native 64-bit binaries. Am I missing something?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by michael37 View Post
    Hi Nanotube,

Thanks for creating the ThunderbirdNewVersion page and keeping the Tbird pages updated. I based my Wiki updates on the Thunderbird discussed from the x86_64 forums. I didn't know about existence of this forum on Tbird.

I have a question about the 64-bit Ubuntuzilla script. As far as I can see, the script installs only the 32-bit binaries from release.mozilla.org and, per http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/#tochome23, requires 32-bit libraries to work. However, the repository supports native 64-bit binaries. Am I missing something?
    hi michael!
    i wanted to contact you to discuss the wiki updates, but you didn't have a wiki user page with contact info, so i had no choice but to just jump in and edited on top of your edits. thanks for adding that third-party repo, it's a pretty good alternative method.

as to the 32bit vs 64bit, yes, you're right, ubuntuzilla only installs the 32bit binary, because those are the only binaries that are provided by mozilla itself. but since they work on 64bit using the 32bit compatibility libraries, i titled the ubuntuzilla method as "32bit and 64bit"... it isn't supposed to imply that it installs native 64bit binaries, only that it will work on 64bit systems.
    what do you think?

thanks for seeking out these forums and posting!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    hi michael!
    i wanted to contact you to discuss the wiki updates, but you didn't have a wiki user page with contact info, so i had no choice but to just jump in and edited on top of your edits. thanks for adding that third-party repo, it's a pretty good alternative method.

as to the 32bit vs 64bit, yes, you're right, ubuntuzilla only installs the 32bit binary, because those are the only binaries that are provided by mozilla itself. but since they work on 64bit using the 32bit compatibility libraries, i titled the ubuntuzilla method as "32bit and 64bit"... it isn't supposed to imply that it installs native 64bit binaries, only that it will work on 64bit systems.
    what do you think?

thanks for seeking out these forums and posting!
    Well, you now know who I am. Please to meet you too,

Actually, I think this 64 vs 32bit stuff is fairly confusing. First of all, the 64-bit Ubuntu that I installed with all defaults doesn't have most of the needed 32-bit libraries. I struggled some tracking the right libraries before I got 32-bit Ubuntuzilla install to work.

Also, this 64-bit vs 32-bit stuff is very confusing for Lightning users. There have been quite a few discussions on the subject on x86_64 board. Lightning extension is binary, so it is arch specific and must match the Thunderbird arch. The 32-bit Lightning is officially released, and 64-bit Lightning is also available in contribs (see my ThunderbirdLightning page). Oddly enough, 64-bit Thunderbird is not available in contribs Anyway, I struggled a bit trying to explain on the Lightning page how to install the right version of Lightning.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by michael37 View Post
    Well, you now know who I am. Please to meet you too,

Actually, I think this 64 vs 32bit stuff is fairly confusing. First of all, the 64-bit Ubuntu that I installed with all defaults doesn't have most of the needed 32-bit libraries. I struggled some tracking the right libraries before I got 32-bit Ubuntuzilla install to work.

Also, this 64-bit vs 32-bit stuff is very confusing for Lightning users. There have been quite a few discussions on the subject on x86_64 board. Lightning extension is binary, so it is arch specific and must match the Thunderbird arch. The 32-bit Lightning is officially released, and 64-bit Lightning is also available in contribs (see my ThunderbirdLightning page). Oddly enough, 64-bit Thunderbird is not available in contribs Anyway, I struggled a bit trying to explain on the Lightning page how to install the right version of Lightning.
    well, this issue of missing ia32 libs is going to be moot starting with ubuntuzilla 4.3.0, since i will be releasing two .debs, one for i386, and one for amd64. the only difference between the two will be that the amd64 will have the ia32 and other 32bit compatibility libraries as dependencies, which should minimize any problems for 64bit users...

but yes, it is all pretty confusing - and i don't even run 64bit ubuntu!

by the way, just to be certain - what is your output on your 64bit ubuntu install of command
    Code:
    uname -m
    it is "x86_64", right?

Beans
    Distro

hey aysiu,

ok, so the man page is now in existence.

try out the latest version (4.3.0) of ubuntuzilla - install the .deb, then try
    Code:
    man ubuntuzilla
    fancy, eh?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Just tested it out. The man page looks great!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Just tested it out. The man page looks great!
    i'm glad you like it thanks for prompting me to make it - i learned how to make manpages, and learning something new is always nice.

let me know if you think of any other nifty things i could add.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by nanotube View Post
    well, this issue of missing ia32 libs is going to be moot starting with ubuntuzilla 4.3.0, since i will be releasing two .debs, one for i386, and one for amd64. the only difference between the two will be that the amd64 will have the ia32 and other 32bit compatibility libraries as dependencies, which should minimize any problems for 64bit users...

but yes, it is all pretty confusing - and i don't even run 64bit ubuntu!

by the way, just to be certain - what is your output on your 64bit ubuntu install of command
    Code:
    uname -m
    it is "x86_64", right?
    Yes, it is x86_64. The .debs are called amd64, just for confusion.

In my experience, the ia32linux libs were not enough. I also needed some gtk libraries at al. How are you going to test the amd64 package? I'd love to volunteer, but I use this 64-bit computer for "production" so I can't experiment with removing libraries etc.

Also, what are your thoughts on integrating Lightning in ubuntuzilla?

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast