Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntuzilla testing: please help if you can :)

Beans

Re: Ubuntuzilla testing: please help if you can :)

Installing Seamonkey works flawlessly in Hardy. Plugins linked great. Of course I had no prior Seamonkey installed.

In Firefox it appears that reinstalling ubufox helped with plugins if that tells you anything.

Thunderbird is a different story;

Code:
    lance@lance-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install thunderbird
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      language-support-en language-support-translations-en
      thunderbird-locale-en-gb
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      thunderbird
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 12.0MB of archives.
    After this operation, 1032kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
    Abort.
    I didn't think removing those language packs would be a good idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

ok so... just to avoid any confusion, then, i'll rename the .desktop files.

don't know what's going on with thunderbird and language packs - my thunderbird .deb has no dependencies on anything, so it shouldn't be conflicting with anything... i'll have to take a look at that.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    In Firefox it appears that reinstalling ubufox helped with plugins if that tells you anything.
    hrm... guess i could recommend its installation...

Thunderbird is a different story;

Code:
    lance@lance-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install thunderbird
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      language-support-en language-support-translations-en
      thunderbird-locale-en-gb
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      thunderbird
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 3 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    Need to get 12.0MB of archives.
    After this operation, 1032kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]? n
    Abort.
    I didn't think removing those language packs would be a good idea.
    yea, so i tracked this down in the hardy repos.
    language-support-en depends on language-support-translations-en
    all well and good.

but language-support-translations-en for some reason has a hard-depend on thunderbird-locale-en-gb, and

thunderbird-locale-en-gb has the following:
    Code:
    Depends: thunderbird | language-support-en
    Conflicts: thunderbird (<< 1.99), thunderbird (>> 2.0.0.z999)
    and this latter line is what drives the conflict, which propagates all the way up to language-support-en.

no clue why they did that way in hardy (but apparently not in the later versions, at least). but given the hard conflict with thunderbird versions other than 2.0.0.x, there's nothing i can do other than rename the package to something other than 'thunderbird'. which i'm not sure i'm going to do, just to placate the weird (and unnecessary, imho) dependencies and conflicts that seem to be specific to hardy...

well, and that's the news. ...

EDIT: and i also updated the packages to use mozilla.<package>.desktop for the menu item filename, to avoid the conflicts. so give the firefox package another go with that to see if it doesn't complain anymore

EDIT2: another possible solution for hardy: i can just stick up a modified language-support-translations-en package just for hardy, which lacks the dependency on that thunderbird-locale-en-gb. so the hardy users would get that package updated along with thunderbird, and all would be fine and dandy. thoughts on this solution?
    Last edited by nanotube; December 25th, 2009 at 12:11 AM.

Beans

EDIT: and i also updated the packages to use mozilla.<package>.desktop for the menu item filename, to avoid the conflicts. so give the firefox package another go with that to see if it doesn't complain anymore
    Well in Karmic I backed out of everything just to be sure Seamonkey and Thunderbird still worked properly and they do, but still problems with Firefox.

As I said since it already has Firefox 3.5.6 it actually regards your package as a downgrade and if I try to force install:

Code:
    E: /var/cache/apt/archives/firefox_3.5.6-0ubuntu1_i386.deb: trying to overwrite '/usr/bin/firefox', which is also in package firefox-3.5 0
    Now, it will install if I first remove firefox-3.5 which also removes firefox, firefox-3.5-branding, and ubufox. Then after doing so it shows that those packages need to be updated/installed.

EDIT2: another possible solution for hardy: i can just stick up a modified language-support-translations-en package just for hardy, which lacks the dependency on that thunderbird-locale-en-gb. so the hardy users would get that package updated along with thunderbird, and all would be fine and dandy. thoughts on this solution?
    Sounds like it's worth a try.

Reminds me though, I need to make some tweaks to xorg in Hardy. It's funny how these releases we once regarded as great seem downright prehistoric after a year or so.

Beans

Oh, something minor I keep forgetting to mention, the icons/launchers look weird with your Firefox package installed. In Karmic the menu icon looks OK, but when dropped to the panel it looks like a red X in a box.

In Hardy the icon looks like a piece of paper with one corner folded up both in the menu and in the panel.

The ones for Seamonkey look normal in both.

Beans
    Distro

hrm, i'll look into the icons

as to the packages, maybe i should just name the packages "mozilla.org.<package>", or something, so that the existing packages in the repos don't care about them...

anyway, i'll post back when i have something for you.

Beans
    Distro

ok

i think i've fixed the icons.

also, i renamed all packages to "<package>.mozilla.build", to avoid any conflicts with existing packages, and added the dpkg diversions of ubuntu-repo package /usr/bin links to /usr/bin/<package>.ubuntu.

about the diversion:
    so now, if you have ubuntu repos firefox installed, and then install the mozilla version "firefox.mozilla.build" from my repository, it won't touch the ubuntu firefox install, only redirect its /usr/bin/firefox to /usr/bin/firefox.ubuntu, and then put its own /usr/bin/firefox in its place.

same deal for existing ubuntu-repo installs of thunderbird and seamonkey.

please give them all a try and see how it works, and whether you run into any problems. i think staying out of the ubuntu repositories' way is the safest and least-impact approach.

(note that if you already have an ubuntuzilla-install of a package, which has already done a dpkg-divert, it will conflict with the new packages' divert. so have to run ubuntuzilla.py -a remove before these will install - as i learned from my testing. let me know if this is also the case for you, if you happen to run into this.)

hope it all works this time

Beans

I'll probably get on with the testing this PM.

I'm busy fighting automotive problems at the moment.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'll probably get on with the testing this PM.
    sounds good - thanks for all your help!

I'm busy fighting automotive problems at the moment.
    that always sucks... best of luck on that...

Beans

I'm just going to give this a try but noticed this:

(note that if you already have an ubuntuzilla-install of a package, which has already done a dpkg-divert, it will conflict with the new packages' divert. so have to run ubuntuzilla.py -a remove before these will install - as i learned from my testing. let me know if this is also the case for you, if you happen to run into this.)
    I just wanted to say that during my last testing instead of:

Code:
    ubuntuzilla.py -a remove -p firefox
    ubuntuzilla.py -a remove -p thunderbird
    ubuntuzilla.py -a remove -p seamonkey
    I just ran:

Code:
    sudo apt-get --purge remove <each package>
    Then after removing the existing Ubuntuzilla repo I started fresh. I hope I didn't somehow hose the testing process.

As I'm still learning I'd appreciate a brief explanation regarding the difference between the two when you have time.

Note: I am tired so if I run into trouble you might not hear from me again for about 24 hours.

Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast