Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installation problem

Beans

Exclamation Installation problem

I decided to install wubi the about a week ago. I installed it and it worked fine. For some reason i decided to uninstall it. Today i decided that I wanted to install it again but when i tryed to boot i got a "error 17 file not found" message. What do I do to correct this I tried reinstalling it. I think this would make the 3rd time and they all get that error.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Installation problem

This is most likely because the /boot/grub/menu.lst doesn't list the correct partition for your root / install. You may need to boot to an Ubuntu LiveCD and edit that file to point to the correct partition. Sometimes that can happen across upgrades or other changes.
    "This would make more difference if it made any difference at all; but it doesn't make any difference at all, because you are listening to a conversation among dead businesses." -- Eben Moglen

Beans

i dont have i live cd were do i get one?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Go to the Ubuntu site and click on the download ubuntu link on the left. then choose what flavor of ubuntu you want and then select the desktop iso, (i.e. don't click the checkbox next to the alternate iso thingy.) then your download should start. burn that iso to a cd using a program that can burn .iso files, because they are not the same as regular files. .iso's are like a photo copy of a cd and when it burns it it unzips it so it knows where to put everything.

Beans

You can also try http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetup/minefield.html

We would like to know if that fixes your problem (remove any menu.lst file you may have on C:\ or D:\)
    Last edited by ago; June 7th, 2007 at 11:33 PM.

Beans

Ok i am running linux off the live cd now what?

Beans

You can choose to install it if you like it. There should be an icon on the desktop.

Beans

i dont want to delete windows! Well i don't care about windows but i don't want to delete all my files.

Beans

Ubuntu will resize your windows partition, without deleting it (unless you choose so). If you want to avoid partitioning try the wubi-minefield link above

Beans

so if i click install it will partition it right? And how would i unpartition it if i want to remove it later?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast