Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steampunk/victorian gui

Beans

Steampunk/victorian gui

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I made this theme of sorts out of inspiration provided by the various real world steampunk creations. And after two days of googling images and digging through Gnome/Compiz/xfce-look, I believe I am the only one to do this, or at the least, the only one to show it off. All image editing was done in gimp, the compass and telephone (firefox and pidgin respectively) icons are taken from a freely downloadable mac icon pack. The doohickey I'I'm using as a distributor icon is a Victorian-era pressure gauge courtesy of google image search. The accoutrement adorning my panel is still more googled finery, all of it has been color augmented, and the center plaque was hard to come by, the screws were added. The desktop wallpaper is victorian era wallpaper given to me, yeah, you guessed it, from google. The metacity theme is a modification of the "chocolate" theme available at gnome-look.org And finally, the skydome is the result of a google search for "antique map wallpapers.
    Things i want to do but lack the skill for: Complimentary firefox3 theme, brass plaque metacity theme, complex clock mechanics wallpaper (for the skydome), full icon theme, and possibly, ornate imagery as a gtk theme.

I'm willing to share if anyone is interested but i sincerely hope the people interested are interested enough to help further this concept lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Steampunk/victorian gui

Sir I am highly impressed and should like to download your theme. Where might I do so post-haste?

Also, I believe I have some wallpaper you might find useful and helpful:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Xfcn; July 4th, 2008 at 08:26 AM.
    (Laptop) Dell Inspiron E1505 | 1GB RAM | ATI Radeon X1400 | Ubuntu Hardy Heron 8.04 | Intel Core Duo @ 1.83 Ghz
    Now #1 in a Google search for Xfcn. How sad is that? [Accurate as of 18:34 July 21,2008]

Beans

*Is somewhat embarrassed* I dont really know how, I suppose I'll email the creator of the chocolate metacity theme and ask if its ok if I can distribute his/her work (As well as ask how). The third wallpaper is the one I used, but I made it green because I thought it looked alot better, in the meantime i can give you the panel image (sized for 1200x1024 screens) and the background image. The icons i had to edit by hand, i could walk you through that but it'd take time to write I dont have atm.

Background:

Panel:

and the map for good measure:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

This is very nice idea, but you need to take a side: clean steam-pank of clean victorian theme. At some points these two sides going in opposite ways. Steam-pank glorify development of steam based industry (focus on working class) and victorian style glorify richness and power (focus on royalty). Any of these sides is extremely interesting, but takes a lot of research and work to develop a good theme.

Maybe you should start initiative for making and evolving one of these themes. Anyone with ideas and time could take a part.

Beans

I for one have had enough of XP or Mac themes so this is a breath of fresh air. With a bit more work to give it a look of its own, it'd be even better. As an idea I love it.

Beans

Me'lord I be very impressed (sorry for the common victorian accent).
    This screensaver world be nice if ported to linux.
    mechanical-clock

Beans

One may also find of interest an icon package for the Macintosh computing engine, located by searching for the phrase "British Library" among the "DeviantArt" community.

Also the "Manometer Screenlet" for Compiz contains some suitable brass gauges for monitoring the activity of one's own computing engine.

As I too am interested in making these types of changes to my own computing engine, including external ones eventually,
    I shall keep an interested eye upon this conversation.

Toodle-Pip!
    Last edited by IanW; July 4th, 2008 at 08:15 PM.

Beans

hows this for a quick splash replacement?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

It looks really great, is it for personal use or distrubution? Because if you wanted to distribute it I would recommend making your watermark smaller, it detracts from its otherwise strong appeal, perhaps fashion the text into a wood, or brass inlay?
    Related the this project I'm creating a full icon theme, two new (easily customizable) panel images, and theres an outside chance that blundering my way through these thing I'll gain the skills necessary to create gtk themes, in which case you can expect brass and beauty to adorn common gnome applications.
    Any and all help is of course appreciated.

Beans

If you got some of those pictures from google or photobucket, they could be copyrighted. I would urge you to go to the original creators of the images and get permission to use them, or else you won't be able to distribute this.
    See my themes here! | Dont preach Linux, mention it | Make GNOME Themes
    I'm no longer on here. If you want to talk to me, go to noost.org.
    My DeviantArt | Linux user #461096 | Ubuntu user #15753

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast