Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing Gentoo from Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Installing Gentoo from Ubuntu

I didn't feel like downloading a gentoo live cd, so I just installed Gentoo from Ubuntu to see how it is like.

After spending a whole night..and most of the morning tinkering, I am now running emerge --update --ask world on the chrooted terminal on my Ubuntu desktop..after having recompiled the kernel because I left out the VIA Rhine drivers..

But I like it Dunno why..but I like it!

Beans

Re: Installing Gentoo from Ubuntu

Portage is addiction my friend And pleasure of making your own, so **cking customized system is much bigger then clicking next while installing I don't have to mention amount of knowledge you acquire while doing things in DIY way

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Illidan View Post
    I didn't feel like downloading a gentoo live cd, so I just installed Gentoo from Ubuntu to see how it is like.

After spending a whole night..and most of the morning tinkering, I am now running emerge --update --ask world on the chrooted terminal on my Ubuntu desktop..after having recompiled the kernel because I left out the VIA Rhine drivers..

But I like it Dunno why..but I like it!
    Can you give a brief description of how you did this? I have a spare partition and would like to do it from Ubuntu, mostly so I can work while things are working in the background. Once I get the base installation I can chroot and emerge things, that isn't a problem, I need a little assitence in getting the base installed. I already downloaded the stage3 and the portage things to save myself some time. Those should be under step one so people can get them ahead of time and cut install time down, by waiting on a 100MB download. I'm may take a stab at it while waiting for a brief explanation. But I'm not sure about chrooting into an empty partition.

Shane
    Last edited by shane2peru; November 1st, 2007 at 04:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by shane2peru View Post
    Can you give a brief description of how you did this? I have a spare partition and would like to do it from Ubuntu, mostly so I can work while things are working in the background. Once I get the base installation I can chroot and emerge things, that isn't a problem, I need a little assitence in getting the base installed. I already downloaded the stage3 and the portage things to save myself some time. Those should be under step one so people can get them ahead of time and cut install time down, by waiting on a 100MB download. I'm may take a stab at it while waiting for a brief explanation. But I'm not sure about chrooting into an empty partition.

Shane
    This section of the handbook is very easy to follow along.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

All you need is here.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

Of course, you already have an installation environment, and your network is most likely already configured, so skip steps 2 and 3
    Last edited by Bachstelze; November 2nd, 2007 at 07:06 PM.
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro

Ok, this is getting on my nerves. I have followed those instructions in the handbook, and keep running into this snag.

Code:
    !!! ARCH is not set... Are you missing the '/etc/make.profile' symlink?
    !!! Is the symlink correct? Is your portage tree complete?
    I made the symlink, so I know it is there here is the output of ls -l /etc/make.profile:

Code:

ls -l /etc/make.profile lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 60 2007-11-02 13:19 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0/make.defaults
    My link is there. Here is my make.defaults file:

Code:
    # Copyright 1999-2007 Gentoo Foundation
    # Distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public License v2
    # $Header: /var/cvsroot/gentoo-x86/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0/make.defaults,v 1.2 2007/08/08 19:27:27 dev-zero Exp $

# We build stage1 against this
    STAGE1_USE="nptl nptlonly unicode"

# These USE flags are what is common between the various sub-profiles. Stages 2
    # and 3 are built against these, so be careful what you add.

USE="acpi alsa arts cairo cdr dbus dvd dvdr dvdread eds emboss encode esd evo fam firefox gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk hal jpeg kde kerberos ldap mad mikmod mp3 mpeg ogg opengl oss pdf png qt3 qt3support qt4 quicktime sdl spell svg tiff truetype vorbis win32codecs unicode X xml xv"
    And here is my /etc/make.conf
    Code:
    # These settings were set by the catalyst build script that automatically
    # built this stage.
    # Please consult /etc/make.conf.example for a more detailed example.
    CFLAGS="-O2 -mtune=i686 -pipe"
    CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
    # This should not be changed unless you know exactly what you are doing.  You
    # should probably be using a different stage, instead.
    CHOST="i486-pc-linux-gnu"
    MAKEOPTS="-j3"

GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.ucsb.edu/pub/mirrors/linux/gentoo/ ftp://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo/ http://gentoo.mirrors.pair.com/ ftp://ftp.ndlug.nd.edu/pub/gentoo/ http://open-systems.ufl.edu/mirrors/gentoo http://mirror.fslutd.org/linux/distributions/gentoo/ ftp://mirror.fslutd.org/linux/distributions/gentoo/ http://gentoo.localhost.net.ar/ ftp://mirrors.localhost.net.ar/pub/mirrors/gentoo "

SYNC="rsync://rsync.samerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
    So this is really getting on my nerves. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Shane

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    All you need is here.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml

Of course, you already have an installation environment, and your network is most likely already configured, so skip steps 2 and 3
    Thanks! Been all over that handbook, a few times now. I'm stuck on the above error, and need to 1. Update (emerge portage) portage 2. emerge gentoo-sources for my kernel. I checked the md5sums of all my downloads and checked them and they were all good.

Shane

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

You haven't said what stage of the installation you are having these problems with.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The symlink is wrong :

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 54 2007-10-14 18:06 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0/desktop
    「明後日の夕方には帰ってるからね。」

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by rsambuca View Post
    You haven't said what stage of the installation you are having these problems with.
    Just got portage installed and finally updated, and am wanting to build my kernel. Guess I should have mentioned that.

Quote Originally Posted by HymnToLife View Post
    The symlink is wrong :

Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 54 2007-10-14 18:06 /etc/make.profile -> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2007.0/desktop
    Thanks! It just occurred to me to check out the Gentoo forums and search for that error, and I realized it is supposed to be pointed to a folder not a file. Got it! I had some serious problems getting my make.conf right, the mirrorselect thing doesn't work if you are not in the live CD, and I found a file on the gentoo wiki to copy how to put it in, but it was wrong! So finally I booted into the minimal install CD of Gentoo, and got my mirror setup correctly. Now we are moving! Thanks for the help.

Shane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast