Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu preinstalled laptops

Beans

Ubuntu preinstalled laptops

Hi guys

We're starting a store (opening september-october 2005) and one of the things we would like to offer are pre-installed Ubuntu systems. I think we will go for cheap laptops (such as ECS and Aopen that we ourselves can get without Windows license).

Our target audience is dual, we are targetting both existing Linux users looking for a windows-less laptop and new users who just want an affordable laptop (WinXP alone is 200 € over here, OfficeXP is another 600, passing over the price of cheaper laptop hardware).

What do you guys think, would there be a market for this? Are any of you interested in this kind of thing (not specificly from us, but in general - we only sell in Belgium with azerty-be keyboards, BTW -).

One of the issues we need to address is type a good manual to go with the systems (for those not yet used to Linux).
    Can we use the Ubuntu logo in these?
    Linux user #249404 - September 1997
    http://nocturn.vsbnet.be - RSS

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

Re: Ubuntu preinstalled laptops

What do you guys think, would there be a market for this? Are any of you interested in this kind of thing (not specificly from us, but in general - we only sell in Belgium with azerty-be keyboards, BTW -).

I would have wanted it. Not being a linux geek, I really had to stumble around but I'm the adventurous type who needed to escape from windows. A good manual is a definite must and that cannot be stressed enough.

Too bad you're in Belgium. I'm in Detroit.

Beans

Very good idea.

When looking for a computer as linux user I'd definately want to cut down the price by not getting a windows and office licence I won't even use. Even more so if aiming for a cheap computer.

I'm pretty sure many windows users will consider it too when they see a noticeable price difference. Either cause learning a new OS is interesting and worth the saving, or to be honest, cause they care about licences just as much as most windows users do.

Aiming for laptops with this is also suiting I think. Personally I see desktops as gaming machines and laptops as office machines. Which means I'd look for high performerance in a desktop and low price in a laptop. But I'm not sure if others share my view on this point.

ps. I'd love to see the look on windows users' faces the day they walk into a computer store and see two price tags on all models. One for windows that is about the same as in other stores. And one for linux that is cheaper even though it's the same hardware specs.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Kvark
    ps. I'd love to see the look on windows users' faces the day they walk into a computer store and see two price tags on all models. One for windows that is about the same as in other stores. And one for linux that is cheaper even though it's the same hardware specs.
    LOL, me too. That's not going to happen in our store though, it will be 100% Microsoft free

Before executing any commands, make sure you kow what they mean, read this first!

Beans

I'm pretty sure many windows users will consider it too when they see a noticeable price difference. Either cause learning a new OS is interesting and worth the saving, or to be honest, cause they care about licences just as much as most windows users do.
    Another advantage we have is that we are midway between two schools (7-12 year old kids). I'm hoping that the affordable laptops are attractive to parents who cannot or will not shell out 1000€ plus for a low-end windows PC.

Maybe we can even get the schools interested (that would be the biggest catch). The Belgian government has recently started a program to incourage the use of FOSS in schools, yet there are almost no companies here offering support for it.

Beans

there will definitely be a market for this.i am sure there are many who would like to get a decent laptop without shelling a bomb for the OS and produtivity tools.and a good way to do this would be to have ubuntu or any other linux distro pre installed.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Registered Linux User #391336
    matthias media two ways to live - the choice we all face
    www.matthiasmedia.com.au/2wtl

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ssck
    there will definitely be a market for this.i am sure there are many who would like to get a decent laptop without shelling a bomb for the OS and produtivity tools.and a good way to do this would be to have ubuntu or any other linux distro pre installed.
    I'm considering to offer other distro's such as Debian stable, Fedora and maybe SuSE as optional (maybe a little extra cost for the time), but the default will be Ubuntu.

The store is going to be an Ubuntu heaven, all internal systems will run Ubuntu and maybe Debian (not sure which on the servers)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nocturn
    Maybe we can even get the schools interested (that would be the biggest catch). The Belgian government has recently started a program to incourage the use of FOSS in schools, yet there are almost no companies here offering support for it.
    If you can get a good dialog with the schools and get them to show you all the details about their situations when it comes to computers. Then I'm sure you can see what they are missing or doing wrong and come up with a lot of things they'd love. I'm sure they'll give you the deal next time they need to replace their workstations.

For example if they currently store documents locally, then this would sound great in their ears...
    Each student gets a folder (his/her home directory) on a central server where their work is stored while the workstations contains only programs. That way students can access their work from any computer and not just the one they saved it on, and no running around with floppies either.

Some good sale arguments can be found in showing off linux software that is useful in a school environment, like easy backups and stuff, maybe a tool to easliy manage user accounts for the many students.

Not to mention that students won't have the user privileges to mess things up and there won't be many viruses either. Catching the attention of those schools should be a piece of cake.
    Last edited by Kvark; July 6th, 2005 at 05:23 PM.

Beans

Very good idea.

When looking for a computer as linux user I'd definately want to cut down the price by not getting a windows and office licence I won't even use. Even more so if aiming for a cheap computer.

Aiming for laptops with this is also suiting I think. Personally I see desktops as gaming machines and laptops as office machines. Which means I'd look for high performerance in a desktop and low price in a laptop. But I'm not sure if others share my view on this point.

I bought a gaming laptop but then I always was different

Okay so as a Computer Science Student I think hells yeah if the price difference is 200 Euro. I mean for one thing most people already have a copy of XP Home lying around from their old laptops anyway at this stage given the age of XP.

If you can reduce the price of my laptop by 200 Euro and I get Ubuntu I'd gladly fork over the cash.

Also you might want to consider giving users a run in the shop with Linux and I'd offer Gnome instead of KDE for ease of use as a front end but I must say I like it, I like it a lot!
    Last edited by brim4brim; July 6th, 2005 at 05:42 PM.

primeirocrime Guest

oh very nice! to bad about the azerty keyboards... but I forsee that if you guys grow you will sell also native keyboards like portuguese [that is QWERTY with a "ç"]

So I'll wait and see. May fortune smile upon you all.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast