Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird PSU noises

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Weird PSU noises

I seem to be getting some weird electrical clicking sound being intermittently generated by my PSU.

It's quite high in pitch, repeats about 10 times a second and occurs for about 10 seconds every couple of minutes or so and then stops again.

It's a Seasonic so it's not cheap which is a little concerning. It's also fairly new, I think I got it in December last year.

Any ideas if this signifies anything or is it just my power supply being a bit weird?

Should I think about sending it off to be checked under warranty?

Cheers

Tom

Beans

Re: Weird PSU noises

Are you sure its electrical ?or is it dust etc in the fans? try blowing the PSU with air
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Are you sure its electrical ?or is it dust etc in the fans? try blowing the PSU with air
    Cheers for getting back to me.

I keep the case pretty dust free and the fan is rarely on anyway, it all runs pretty cool.

I tried giving it a quick blast of air anyway just in case. It's still doing it though.

There doesn't seem to be any burning smells or anything.

I've sent Seasonic's tech support an email just to see what they recommend.

Tom

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

if these noises have just 'suddenly' started happening then there will be a reason why. if still under warranty it may be advisable to have it checked out, do you have a spare you can use to do so?

if you've had any sudden restarts or shutdowns this could be connected to your psu, do you have a decent power surge protector on the mains supply?
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I've noticed them in the last day or 2. It's possible they could've been there before, I've usually got some music playing at least but I've lent my speakers to someone so haven't had any sounds.

I don't have a surge protector. I probably should get one of those.

In the mean time I might see about getting it checked under warranty.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I'm getting some pretty wild fluctuations in the -12v and -5v rails. That doesn't sound good.

Everything else seems to be functioning as it should though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Is is getting warmer where you are, are air conditioners in your vicinity turning on and off.
    Your problem sounds a lot like what happens when line voltages are fluctuating all over the place.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by information_entropy View Post
    Is is getting warmer where you are, are air conditioners in your vicinity turning on and off.
    Your problem sounds a lot like what happens when line voltages are fluctuating all over the place.
    Hi

Thanks for the reply.

It's coming up to midnight here so it probably isn't that specifically. I guess it could be a noisy mains supply though. I have the day off tomorrow. Maybe I'll get one of those surge-protector-power-smoothing-deeleys, I guess it can't hurt (except my finances).
    Last edited by smbm; June 3rd, 2007 at 11:45 PM. Reason: I missed out a whole word!!!!!!!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Uhhh why don't you just RMA it?

No seriously... clicking PSU = likely to die PSU

I've experienced that before and trust me, a dying PSU will take out your motherboard if it wants to.

Because my PSU died twice, I now have a slightly borked up system. And it likely damaged my hdd too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

PSUs die like everything else. Don't go cheap on them, they are one of the most important components to the computer, yet nobody seems to know/care about them! You will probably get what you pay for!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast