Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weird PSU noises

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Weird PSU noises

From what I know, Seasonic is a pretty good brand. However, all electronics will conk out one day, whether they are of good or bad quality. However, the quality of the PSU and the tests the PSU is subjected to will ensure for a longer shelf life. But the shelf life depends on issues like compability problems with certain motherboards, dirty power, etc.

If I were you, go look up your PSU model and brand on http://www.johnnyguru.com and check out for any compability issues that could short out your PSU.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Talking Re: Weird PSU noises

Yes, modern power supplies are what are called Switch Mode supplies.

They are very efficient and quite reliable.

However, a down side is that when they do fail, the cosequences can be disastrous.

Because they don't have transformers, proving isolation, when they fail they can put nasty voltages onto your low voltage lines, killing your PC.

When they start to make noises, like you said, it is time to change it out, otherwise you could be very sorry, as you could also have to change your motherboard and peripherals, as well.

You indicated that you were getting voltage fluctuations, which is a sure sign of imminent failure.

Regards,
    Roger
    There are only two things in life that are mandatory.
    Birth and Death.
    Everything else is optional.
    Ubuntu User #10495

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I advise that you change your power supply. That happened to me, and luckily enough, I was able to get it changed before it did any damage. Don't take any risks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Wow this thread's grown quite a bit whilst I was asleep.

I'm going to contact the retailer right now to find out about getting it swapped out.

Thanks for all your advice everyone, I'll post here to let you know how it goes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12