Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How much do you use Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

How much do you use Ubuntu?

Just out of curiosity, I'm wondering who here uses Ubuntu (or another Linux) at home, at work, or both? At the moment I use Ubuntu on my own desktops (at home and in work), but others in work still use Windows. I also have Debian on the servers, and that's not likely to change until the hardware is replaced (and then I might put Ubuntu on the new ones).

The impression I get is that most companies only use Windows, and I get the feeling that Ireland is particularly badly stuck this way. Certainly, there have been no big "we're moving to Linux" stories from the Irish government like there have been in France or Germany. I vaguely recall hearing something about AIB moving to Novell Linux a while ago, but not much since.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: How much do you use Ubuntu?

Ubuntu at home. Occasional visit to WinXP for games. For other essential Win apps (electronic cad, matlab) I use VMWare in Ubuntu.

Then it's the other way around at university. Lots of Ubuntu desktops that I use occasionally, but I'm forced to use Windows mostly for projects, ie. debugging microcontrollers.
    echo -e "\x6f\x61\x73\x61\x6c\x6f\x6e\x65\x6e\x40\x67 \b\x6d\x61\x69\x6c\x2e\x63\x6f\x6d"
    It compiles! Ship it!

Beans

Use Ubuntu at home for everything including games (there's a new release of Sauerbraten!!).

But alas, at work I'm stuck with (buggy) windows.
    I've even contacted THE boss of BOI about moving over to OpenOffice.org or going the whole hog to Linux.
    For the moment there will be no change for a year or so. Even after a year or two we might still end up in bed with m$.

I think at least internet cafes here in Ireland should start using Linux here. The average internet cafe has 20 odd PCs, that's 20 m$ licences, on top of that quite a few have m$ office installed too.

I (perhaps unjustly) blame the brainwashed mcse's amongst other things.

Beans

I use Ubuntu for everything... except games an internet. Soon I maybe able to kick Windows except for rubbish games like Halo !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Hi all,

Well I am done using windows, a few days ago I just got everything working in my office that I need. At home I've been using ubuntu ever since I got in touch with it. It's such a big help at work, everything is so much faster easier and since a lot of our servers and system run on unix based OS I anyway had to learn it.

I have installed WINE in case I would need to run something that wouldn't be possible to do in ubuntu but so far I haven't found anything...
    ubuntu? ubuntu... ubuntu!!! =D>
    http://www.mindexchange.ch/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

at home, only Ubuntu, for everything. We don't play games, I run MS Office and Origin under Cross Over Office only for less trouble if I have to work at home. At work, Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

out of 7 machines i have, 3 of them are totaly linux and the other 4 are dual booters. unfortunately, i no longer have any variation of ubuntu on them, as i switched to zenwalk. still cruise these forums though just in case! very seldom do i use windows though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

at home i use ubuntu exclusively, for games and everything, i work in an internet cafe though, so it's windows only and it just wouldn't be worth the headache trying to get people to use linux in an internet cafe, we do use firefox though and we had openoffice, which people seemed to use without any bother, but the owner got ms office for all the machines anyway

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

At home I have Ubuntu for everything apart from games, but I don't really have any time/powerful enough hardware for them anyways.

At my university lab we have Linux (Suse, I think) on a server for about 25 thin-client machines that we use in our programming classes. I don't see Windows that often

Beans

i use Ubuntu both at work and at home. Work webservers are Debian, and the non-Ubuntu office staff use Mac OS X - so , i have zero Windows contact at work. I have one dual boot machine at home that has XP on it - and thats for
    1. gaming and 2. media streams i just cant figure out how to work in Ubuntu yet, like the redfm.ie stream , or the RTE ones and 3. making music on fruityloops, and such like.

but i'd say that 90 per cent of my time is in Ubuntu - and that applies to my wife (ubuntu/xp dual boot laptop) and my kid (Edubuntu) as well. i like playing around with Fruityloops and VST stuff so thats an XP session for that.

so in total i have

my laptop (work and home) : laptop - ubuntu 100 per cent
    wife: dual XP/ubuntu laptop (for those annoying media streams that just wont play in ubuntu)
    kid: older dell laptop - edubuntu
    desktop #1 : ubuntu
    desktop #2 - the high spec gaming/music machine: xp /ubuntu

office: 5 Debian webservers , everyone , besides me - OS X on desktops/laptops
    Last edited by corkonian; December 6th, 2006 at 12:49 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast