Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Text to Speech

Beans

Re: Text to Speech

What youre saying is completely true... I know that everybody must say the same thing, but I just think that you put it in a way that everyone can understand....I also love the images you put in here... They fit so well with what youre trying to say... Im sure youll reach so many people with what youve got to say...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Since my previous post in this thread, I've experimented with TTS again and I need to correct one mistatement. While I have been able to get the Ivona voices working on a free trial they do NOT continue to work for me after the next reboot. Despite the fact the trial is supposed to be for 30 days, the liscences expire as soon as I reboot. I didn't realise this the first time I tried them cause the Natty installation screwed up hopelessly on reboot and I had to reinstall. Installing Ivona takes a loooooooooooooooooooooooooong time so I'm not going to experiment with it any more unless I have some reason to think that problem is fixed. Way too much work to go to just on the chance you might be able to get it right with another try. I tried under both versions of Wine in the repository. A VirtualBox or similar VM with Windows in it might work, but it takes at least XP and the only Windows I have been able to install in VirtualBox is 2000. I tried a W7 trial disk but VirtualBox fails to install it giving an erroneous low disk space on host error message and I haven't been able to figure out Faubox. Darn things sound great though. If anyone gets a trial to work I'd like to hear about how they did it. But I'm sure not going to buy it without getting the trial to work cause the licsensed version might have the same problem.
    Please don't remove the forum archives!
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post10640901

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Lucid LTS + Virtualbox + WinXP + Ivona trial version works perfectly. Just make sure you give the VM plenty of disk space.

I'd be uncomfortable paying for it as it needs virtualbox and windows. But if it could be installed thought the ubuntu software centre, I wouldn't hesitate for a moment.
    Last edited by zoubidoo; December 30th, 2011 at 06:18 PM.

Beans

I have tried to get Ivona to work also. Never had any luck with Wine at all. In a Virtualbox with XP I can get the British voices to install and the American voices down to Salli ("down to" that is, in terms of the order in which they are listed in the installer, which is NOT alphabetical) but neither Salli nor any of the American or non-english voices past Salli would install. I don't think it is just disk space because I tried installing JUST Salli and it wouldn't work. I don't think it is a case of older voices work and newer ones don't because I think Ewa was their first voice and it is one of the ones that won't install. Go figger.

Beans

Here is a Perl script which takes a text file as input and generates mp3 file. It uses Google TTS:

http://michalfapso.blogspot.com/2012...to-speech.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Michal Fapso View Post
    Here is a Perl script which takes a text file as input and generates mp3 file. It uses Google TTS:

http://michalfapso.blogspot.com/2012...to-speech.html
    I wonder when Google guys realize they need captcha there.

BTW: anybody could use this script create a new one which would do the same using Android SVOX pico2wav? SVOX has a nice voice and runs on Ubuntu, but it accepts only very short strings. Basically, we would need splitting the text and sending it phrase by phrase in the same way. I am only a user and I can't do it myself.

Beans

I absolutely LOVE this script !!!! =D>

THANK YOU MICHAL FAPŠO

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frytek View Post
    . . . SVOX has a nice voice and runs on Ubuntu . . .
    Would somebody who understands that mind clarifying it? I find some SVOX libs in synaptic but it isn't at all clear what I'm to do with them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I think I know exactly what you are looking for. Check the youtube video that's on this blog for the software JSpeak.

http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com...to-speach.html
    Linux Advanced Guides and News!
    http://linuxinnovations.blogspot.com/

Green means go, Yellow means faster, Red means don't stop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I use gespeaker 0.8.1 and added the following as a keyboard shortcut (Super+R)

Name:
    Read Text
    Command:
    bash -c "gespeaker --play-text=\"$(xsel | sed -e :a -e '$!N;s/\n/ /;ta')\""

gespeaker and xsel need to be installed prior

sudo apt-get install gespeaker xsel

Edit: You need to get the latest deb file for gespeaker at code.google.com/p/gespeaker/downloads/list
    Last edited by Ter Rymon; November 9th, 2012 at 11:50 PM. Reason: Gespeaker 0.8.1 is not in ubuntu repository

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast