Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Macs really that good?

Beans

Are Macs really that good?

I dont want to start an OS war here but just wanting to know

are Macs really as good as people say? I havent used a Mac since 1998 which I don't remember much. I've also had a quick play with Mac OSX Tiger which seemed pretty nice.

On the Internet most people rave on about how Macs are the holy grail of computers.. Is this true? They looked really nice and I've looked at the Apple site and it seems to be a pretty good stable OS.

I actually know alot about Macs like they are built on UNIX, use their own hardware etc etc

Some people despise Macs some people love them.. it doesnt really make sense.

But what makes them so good besides that? Or why would I choose a Mac over Linux?

Linux suits my needs but can Mac do some super thing which I cant? Mind you I dont do anything more than what Linux offers I'm just curious, considering they are expensive.

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Are Macs really that good?

The majority of the Mac users I know (I know a bunch, it's in the extended family on my dad's side) like Mac for it's apparently good multimedia capabilities. So far as I know, it can't do anything that Windows or *nux can't either, so it must be a loyalty thing. Perhaps like hippies... no better than the alternative, but *different*.

I do know that the software selection is miniscule compared to, say, the Windows market.
    Use your free OS to earn money: info

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

It's slick and looks slick, and it's fairly reliable, but it is not the holy grail, and it does crash or have other problems occasionally--just as any computer/operating system will.

Beans

Thanks for the replies. I do like the idea of the iLife suite but thats about it.

Its pretty funny all I ever see in regards to Macs is people booting Windows from them, pretty silly why would you gloat about that

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    It's slick and looks slick, and it's fairly reliable, but it is not the holy grail, and it does crash or have other problems occasionally--just as any computer/operating system will.
    My parents bought an iMac w/Intel in November and so far it's by far the most reliable computer I've ever used ever.

I've only had to manually shut it down and restart it one time since than. My parents haven't yet. Even the applications hardly ever freeze up.

Macs used to be really bad IMHO when they used PowerPC. But since they switched to Intel their much much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

macs are ok till there is a problem with hardware, then you are talking serious repair costs!
    Linux user #435981 / Ubuntu user #9751

"...when i hear the voices, i ignore them, and do something constructive, like play with my ubuntu..."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Last night my wife's G4 Powerbook suddenly wasn't able to connect to our wireless network. Ubuntu on my old Dell did it just fine (WPA encryption). After we unplugged our router and replugged it in, it worked fine again.

Macs have just as many problems as anything else. Computers and operating systems are amazing but human-made tools that every now and then cause problems but are, for the most part, usable. Macs are no exception. They are not magic, and they do not "just work" any more than Ubuntu or Windows does when preinstalled.

Beans

they have a cool name though
    Imagination is more important than knowledge

Beans

I love my Mac's - i would NEVER switch back to PC hardware .never.

I tripleboot OSX/UBUNTU/XP, so i have total OS compatibilty under the hood of a *really* nice machine. The only choice for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I held the idea for a long time that macs just made people dumber; they are waay to reliant on eyecandy and just dumb people down even further away from the system and distracting them with shiny objects. The more I have used them, however, I have more respect as it seems to retain at least some of its unix roots, which is comforting.
    Still, I have found it to be my experience that mac users, not all of course, but most I have ran into are naturally less self-sufficient at fixing problems as the system relies so much on aesthetics that the people are left completely helpless when it comes to a technical issue. Maybe that is one good element of Windows, it is such a terrible system that people are constantly, constantly, constantly fixing it and, therefore, get to know a great deal about the inner workings of the system, heheh.
    Information can't be stolen. The whole system to handle "ownership" is obsolete. In a world where you can copy information, leaving the original intact, and wind up with the perfect copy, the debate over ownership is over.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast