Page 2 of 150 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Ultimate

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: Ubuntu Ultimate

hello,
    its a relief to hear that the project isn't dead. i would like to know that would this only come with Gnome, why not include KDE also and something to help install the nvidia driver from the cd or better still pre-installed. Thanks
    Be ye reconciled unto God
    Gimp Tutorial http://ryanler.wordpress.com/2007/02/01/16/

Beans

glad to hear that.. actually for newbies like us who's not familiar with ubuntu and also.. don't have much time to spend to dig into more details.. the ultimate has been our only hope... when the launch of 7.04, we are actually not that excited... as nothing much for us.. , but all of my friends are waiting for ultimate... coz it really solve our problem.. it's the real linux for the people.. hope in future ubuntu standard will be offering an ultimate version... i know it is impossible.. but for mass market..(who really want to use but not techies), it's the only version. Thanks ultimate !!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Interesting to hear that the Ultimate based off Feisty is around.

Whilst I am here, I'd just like to thank TheeMahn2003 for this release - vanilla ubuntu's never installed on my system, just used to hang on install. Ultimate (1.3 - Edgy release) has been a dream - as a newbie, I've never had to do a re-install, and most things worked out of the box.

Would highly recommend this project for those looking to migrate from windows.

cheers

Scruffy.
    AMD Athlon 3000 @2.0Ghz / MSI K8T Neo K8T800 / 2 GB Corsair DDR RAM / Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (256MB) / Samsung 226BW @ 1600x1050 / 120GB/320GB PATA.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adewale View Post
    hello,
    its a relief to hear that the project isn't dead. i would like to know that would this only come with Gnome, why not include KDE also and something to help install the nvidia driver from the cd or better still pre-installed. Thanks
    KDE has not been included YET, however when 1.4 goes final it will be included, the nvidia driver or ati can be installed from the live cd or after installation using a tool called envy this is automatically ran for you if you choose to install video drivers see screenshot here.

Beans

Wink Re: Ubuntu Ultimate

Quote Originally Posted by Scruffynerf View Post
    Interesting to hear that the Ultimate based off Feisty is around.

Whilst I am here, I'd just like to thank TheeMahn2003 for this release - vanilla ubuntu's never installed on my system, just used to hang on install. Ultimate (1.3 - Edgy release) has been a dream - as a newbie, I've never had to do a re-install, and most things worked out of the box.

Would highly recommend this project for those looking to migrate from windows.

cheers

Scruffy.
    Thank you for your kind comments, this release (running it currently) by being based off Feisty has been a real chore to build, it is no where near complete the script I need to finish to allow it to fit on a cd is a lot of work. IMHO I feel Ultimate 1.2 to be the best release I have put out it was very stable and everything just worked w/o having to add this or that. I am glad to hear you have had such great success with 1.3, the main enhancements added to 1.3 was security, however I think I overdid it I bought a book yes I do find time to read on occasion called Hardning Linux a great book if you are looking to secure your box. One of the security enhancements in 1.3 encrypted a disk I burnt for a buddy and he couldn't read it when I put it back in my system it read fine, all though some may call that a security enhancement I call it an annoyance.

Thanks again for your comments

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by apamau View Post
    glad to hear that.. actually for newbies like us who's not familiar with ubuntu and also.. don't have much time to spend to dig into more details.. the ultimate has been our only hope... when the launch of 7.04, we are actually not that excited... as nothing much for us.. , but all of my friends are waiting for ultimate... coz it really solve our problem.. it's the real linux for the people.. hope in future ubuntu standard will be offering an ultimate version... i know it is impossible.. but for mass market..(who really want to use but not techies), it's the only version. Thanks ultimate !!!
    It is comments like these that motivate me to write the next release. I'm sure you may find this hard to believe but I had only been running linux for a few months before building my first distro, I guess my brain is like a sponge.

Thanks again,

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.06 Dapper

thanks a zillion. i've been using edgy christmas edition and the only problem i couldn't overcome was getting 3d for my nvidia Geforce 2 mx 400 i tried envy and all drivers i knew but still freezes my pc anytime the driver is enabled
    Be ye reconciled unto God
    Gimp Tutorial http://ryanler.wordpress.com/2007/02/01/16/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by adewale View Post
    thanks a zillion. i've been using edgy christmas edition and the only problem i couldn't overcome was getting 3d for my nvidia Geforce 2 mx 400 i tried envy and all drivers i knew but still freezes my pc anytime the driver is enabled
    I did a search to try and find a fix for your video card problem, my buddy had a 400 and had the same exact problem he fixed it by adding something to do with agp to the drivers section. When I get a chance to talk to him I will find you a solution.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Odd, I had the same problem with 3D on my Geforce 6600GT. Envy broke the GUI (Xorg?), however an install from Synaptic and a quick perusal of a HOWTO elsewhere on the forums worked.

It's the only thing that didn't initially work for me in the 1.3 release. Everything else was peachy!

Thanks again for doing this.

cheers
    AMD Athlon 3000 @2.0Ghz / MSI K8T Neo K8T800 / 2 GB Corsair DDR RAM / Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (256MB) / Samsung 226BW @ 1600x1050 / 120GB/320GB PATA.

Beans

Question Re: Ubuntu Ultimate

I have just opened a launchpad account for Ubuntu Ultimate not that I will have time to maintain it... I am looking for people to maintain bug reports per distro. If you would like appointed the position please message me. Links for each distro are coming.
    Last edited by TheeMahn2003; June 4th, 2007 at 03:20 AM.

Page 2 of 150 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast