Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloading DVD ISO's with Bittorrent

Beans

Downloading DVD ISO's with Bittorrent

This is a freakin' joke. I downloaded the CD ISO's in less than 15 minutes. With Bittorrent, it's taken me 1 hour 10 minutes just to get the first 90mb. This is no faster than freakin' dial-up.

Is there anyplace I can download the dvd iso without being forced to use this bittorrent garbage?

primeirocrime Guest

Re: Downloading DVD ISO's with Bittorrent

as time unfolds the torrent get's faster, don't forget it is shared with other people and bennefits from the sharing. Downloadng from a sole ftp or http adress it's not only consumming your bandwith but also the servers bandwith. Torrents are slower agree but also a decent way of sharing data because it's generous.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Maybe you are behind a router of firewall? Without proper configuration that can have a major effect on download speed through bittorrent and p2p programs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

the thing that i hate most is people complaining about bittorrent.. i always download 10GB+ stuff and never had problems...

then people open bittorrent for 10 minutes and say "this is downloading at 10kbps, this thing sux"

Think about it.. maybe you have 100 sources ... but you will NEVER connect to 100 sources when you open your bittorrent.. you will connect to usually 20..

then if you are lucky.. among this 20 sources you can have a guy with a 500kbps upload.. or you can have 20 sources with 12kbps upload...

but if you wait.. when you bt client update the tracker, more sources will be added to your download.. so its gonna be faster...

you have to be patient about it.. stop looking at the download.. just leave it open and find something to do..

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sapo
    the thing that i hate most is people complaining about bittorrent.. i always download 10GB+ stuff and never had problems...

then people open bittorrent for 10 minutes and say "this is downloading at 10kbps, this thing sux"

Think about it.. maybe you have 100 sources ... but you will NEVER connect to 100 sources when you open your bittorrent.. you will connect to usually 20..

then if you are lucky.. among this 20 sources you can have a guy with a 500kbps upload.. or you can have 20 sources with 12kbps upload...

but if you wait.. when you bt client update the tracker, more sources will be added to your download.. so its gonna be faster...

you have to be patient about it.. stop looking at the download.. just leave it open and find something to do..

That's all well and good, but this thing's been cooking for over two hours. I got the install iso in less than 15 minutes. Right now, the shittorrent is speeding along at 4KB/s, and it bounces around from there to 40KB (spending the majority of it's time at 15KB/s) - I fail to see how anyone can think this is a good idea...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by jsimmons
    That's all well and good, but this thing's been cooking for over two hours. I got the install iso in less than 15 minutes. Right now, the shittorrent is speeding along at 4KB/s, and it bounces around from there to 40KB (spending the majority of it's time at 15KB/s) - I fail to see how anyone can think this is a good idea...

are you behind a firewall? are you limiting the upload speed?

if you cant get a direct connection with the clients.. or if you limit you upload speed it is gonna stay at this rate forever...

i have 42kbps upload.. and i always download with speed > than 36kbs... i think you have some configuration mistake or some problem... i m used to download things that are bigger than 10GB and it works fine for me with azureus

Beans

are you behind a firewall? are you limiting the upload speed?

if you cant get a direct connection with the clients.. or if you limit you upload speed it is gonna stay at this rate forever...

i have 42kbps upload.. and i always download with speed > than 36kbs... i think you have some configuration mistake or some problem... i m used to download things that are bigger than 10GB and it works fine for me with azureus

I'm behind a Linksys router with port 6881 forwarded to this box.

Upload speed is not capped.

Number of users is not capped.

I have a 5-7mb down/512k up connection.

I'm using gnome-torrent to dowenload because that's what was installed with Ubuntu.

If there's a super-secret setting you'd like to share with me, then by all means, do so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I'm behind a Linksys router with port 6881 forwarded to this box.

Upload speed is not capped.

Number of users is not capped.

I have a 5-7mb down/512k up connection.

I'm using gnome-torrent to dowenload because that's what was installed with Ubuntu.

If there's a super-secret setting you'd like to share with me, then by all means, do so.

Try installing azureus.. i think its in backports.. or download it at: http://azureus.sf.net

azures have a "health" stuff.. if the health indicator of your torrent stays yellow all the time.. means that you have a nat problem, it downloads.. but at 5/10kbps.

it have to stay green, with gnome-bittorrent you cant be sure about it.. if you use azureus and it stays yellow, you can be sure that the problem is your connection

Beans

Try installing azureus.. i think its in backports.. or download it at: http://azureus.sf.net

azures have a "health" stuff.. if the health indicator of your torrent stays yellow all the time.. means that you have a nat problem, it downloads.. but at 5/10kbps.

it have to stay green, with gnome-bittorrent you cant be sure about it.. if you use azureus and it stays yellow, you can be sure that the problem is your connection
    Okay, I have it installed, but my "health" is always yellow. I passed the port 6881 test when i installed it. What do I do to make it green?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Okay, I have it installed, but my "health" is always yellow. I passed the port 6881 test when i installed it. What do I do to make it green?

as i tought.. you have a nat problem..

hm.. you have to allow azureus to have a DIRECT connection with you.. but i dont know how are you gonna config your router, i dont understand this kind of stuff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast