Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Downloading DVD ISO's with Bittorrent

Beans

Re: Downloading DVD ISO's with Bittorrent

Quote Originally Posted by jsimmons
    I'm using gnome-torrent to dowenload because that's what was installed with Ubuntu.

There is your problem. Go in synaptic and uninstall bittorrent. Then install bittornado from the backports.

Using the "dsl/cable slow" setting, I download at the top speed on my connection in most cases- not at first though. Takes a while to build.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by poofyhairguy
    There is your problem. Go in synaptic and uninstall bittorrent. Then install bittornado from the backports.

Using the "dsl/cable slow" setting, I download at the top speed on my connection in most cases- not at first though. Takes a while to build.
    I installed azureus before i saw this. In any case, it still took 8 hours to download after restarting with azureus. IMHO, performance of this torrent stuff really sucks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I installed azureus before i saw this. In any case, it still took 8 hours to download after restarting with azureus. IMHO, performance of this torrent stuff really sucks.
    man.. i already said it.. the problem is YOUR NETWORK.. not bittorrent.. if you are unhappy with it just dont use it at all and stop complaining... here a screenshot i just took:

look at the size of the files, the percentage and the download speed... i have ADSL 450kbps.. so my maximum download speed is 42k.

Am i nuts? how can i download a torrent with all those files.. that togeter are more than 10GB in size.. and you cant download a single dvd image with your 2mb connection?

yes.. bittorrent sux... its all its fault, maybe you should write to Bram Cohen and say that his software is a worthless piece of ****..

or you can solve your nat problem and use it as everybody do

sorry.. i just got stressed out

Beans

I have tried azureus, and the test tells me I have a nat problem. I have googled the problem, followed the trouble shooting guides and cannot get it to go away. Even if I disable my firewall (firestarter) it doesn't stop showing a nat error. I am not on a network, just a single user. How do I fix this?

Beans

Should have done what I said. I download torrents a 300+KB.

The default options of most torrent programs suck.

Torrents kick ass.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans

Update on my issue with azureus. I am using a voip phone, with my internet cable modem running to the phone modem, then running to the computer. The phone modem seems to be the issue. When I run with the modem in place, I get Yellow light for health and slow speeds. When I removed the modem, I got green health the download was up over 200kbps and climbing.

Now, I have had issues with the modem on other fronts and am having the provider send me a new one which will hopefully help. So, for the original question in the thread, could this also be your problem? For others, has anyone else faced this, and if so, what did you do to fix it? I know I could connect directly to the cable modem for large downloads, but then I lose my phone service, plus it seems like I have to reboot Ubuntu for it to find the change in cable connection).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Quote Originally Posted by timczer
    plus it seems like I have to reboot Ubuntu for it to find the change in cable connection.
    Try this:
    Go to system - administration - networking and then deactivate and activate the connection again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12