Thread: Newbie needs advice

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Newbie needs advice

Hi everyone. I'm a new Ubuntu user who lives in Gloucester County. I started a thread in the beginners' forum (this thread if anyone's interested, but be forewarned it's really long) about problems I've been having with font blurriness and possible video card problems. I've received a lot of help from other people in that thread, but unfortunately it's really difficult for them to diagnose my problems without actually being able to see my computer. (Apparently "It looks crappy compared to Windows" isn't a technical enough description. )

I was wondering, would it be ok for me to bring my computer to the installfest? I don't know what the rules are for these kind of things, like if it's considered inappropriate to ask for help with a computer that already has Ubuntu installed on it if the event is only for people who don't have it installed. If that's the case, are there any other events where it might be more appropriate for me to ask for help? As I said in the other thread, I'd really like to get Ubuntu working on my computer and become an active member of the Ubuntu community.

Thanks.
    The more I learn, the more I realize how much more there still is to learn.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: Newbie needs advice

If you want to lug it, the Cherry Hill Linux User's Group meeting is tomorrow at 7PM downstairs at the Cherry Hill Public Library. If you can get set up, and if someone has the time, you may get help a month eairlier.

There are patent issues with sub-pixel font rendering, so this stuff is harder than it needs to be.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi there,

Since I'm at the LUG meeting and you're not here, i guess it's a little late for that option

Install-fests aren't just about installing Ubuntu; it's also for fixing problems people have. So no, it's not impolite.

There's an install-fest tomorrow in philadelphia:
    http://www.meetlinux.com/philly/

As for install-fests in New Jersey, we'll be having one on June 30th at the cherry hill library (I'll be announcing it tonight or tomorrow). If you can't wait til then, and can't make it to the philly one tomorrow, send an email on our mailing list (or reply here), and we'll try to figure something out.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Hi Joe -

I live out in the Pocono's and would like to know if there are any planned meetings in the Northern NJ area?

Like GreenGirl, I'm learning slowly and actual got as far as dual booting XP and Kubuntu 7x. I'm hung up on the whole XP/Ubuntu drive sharing thing... any help out there for this type of an issue at a meeting?

Henry

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Quote Originally Posted by hklak View Post
    Hi Joe -

I live out in the Pocono's and would like to know if there are any planned meetings in the Northern NJ area?

Like GreenGirl, I'm learning slowly and actual got as far as dual booting XP and Kubuntu 7x. I'm hung up on the whole XP/Ubuntu drive sharing thing... any help out there for this type of an issue at a meeting?

Henry
    We are having in IRC meeting tonight at 8:30, AFTER which whoever can stay around may be able to help. There are also LUG meetings, but all the ones I know of central to south jersey. Then of course is the upcoming install fest.