Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wubi version (test3) is out

Beans

Exclamation New Wubi version (test3) is out

We have released a new wubi version (Wubi-7.04-test3). You can get it from our website www.wubi-installer.org.

http://cutlersoftware.com/ubuntusetup/latest.html

That includes several bug fixes which should cover most people that had problems with previous release: grldr fixes, 33% freeze fixes, reboot issues, raid1/0...

Beans

Re: New Wubi version (test3) is out

Well, Test 3 fails to work on my IBM Thinkpad R40 in exactly the same way as Test 2, i.e. cannot find grldr! Any quick fix?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

On my HP Pavillion zx5000 after removing the prior install and reinstalling using a 10gig virtual disk size the system hangs after "No RAID disks". Then it dumps a bunch of messages about:

Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
    or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
    ALERT! /media/hosts/wubi/install/install.virtual.disk does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Then some info about busybox and then a shell prompt.

Upon looking at the c:\wubi\install the install.virtual.disk is there but it is only 100k.

I also see you created some metalink files for various Ubuntu flavors.
    Last edited by jimbo99; May 30th, 2007 at 03:06 AM.

Beans

Is there anyway to upgrade without a reinstall? I keep getting loop7 errors on shutdown and need to fix it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I have typically moved my .iso file and then manually deleted the folders and just ran the test# to reinstall.

After encountring the problem above I decided to:

1) remove the share from the c: in XP.
    2) Move the .iso to the desktop
    3) Use the test3 to do an uninstall.
    4) schedule a checkdisk
    5) reboot after the checkdisk
    6) manually make the c:\wubi folder
    7) manually make the c:\wubi\install folder
    8) move the .iso into the c:\wubi\install folder
    9) reinstall with test3
    10 reboot

The process seems to be completing without any issues. This is much farther than I have gotten at any point with any prior installer.

-Jim

P.S. Also, I accepted all defaults in the install except for the username. I would have liked to use a larger partition size, but I am trying to figure this out.

Follow-up:

Just posting a follow up rather than creating a separate post:

The installer appeared to complete and the computer rebooted.

I choose to select the Ubuntu menu item.

Ubuntu appeared to start and got the point where it plays the start up sound and then where it would normally begin to present a desktop it stops. I have the Ubuntu background and a movable cursor but it won't continue. The HDD light periodically flashes.

The last time this happened it knocked my NTFS partition in the head and I had to remove the HDD and fix it on another computer. Hopefully this doesn't happen here. Last time it happened there was a long period of nothing on the HDD indicator then a lengthy HDD light (flickering once in a while but mostly active), then nothing. After I reboot that's when I can no longer access the partition and I have to run the fix on the other computer.

BTW, this is a different notebook than the one I had problems with before, so this has now happened on two notebooks. The similarity is that this is very close in terms of the model. If you know much about HP/Compaq HP simply takes their own internal designs, puts a different shell on it, and then rebrands it as Compaq. So this is effectively the same class of notebook. Both have similar processor, memory, HDD size, prior install, etc.

This time I did an alt+ctrl+backspace which caused it to reload the desktop. When I did this it prompted me for the username again and password except now it is sitting at a the Ubuntu background with a white box about 1/9th the total screen size without any text. The cursor is movable.

Some more follow-up:

I did an alt+ctrl+F2 and logged in at the terminal prompt. I then did a directory list. It showed a couple folders. So I then did a cd /media/host and did another directory list. It lists the files there. Shortly after it finished displaying the listing it dumps out a message about my broadcom wireless indicating "Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available for load failed."

No this isn't a Wubi issue but the way the NTFS-3g is configured may be part of the issue and that probably is a wubi config issue.
    Last edited by jimbo99; May 30th, 2007 at 03:59 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by yapel View Post
    Well, Test 3 fails to work on my IBM Thinkpad R40 in exactly the same way as Test 2, i.e. cannot find grldr! Any quick fix?
    Is this a 137G issue? I guess this machine has a disk with size less than 137G considering it is a notebook.

Beans

But I thought this 137G issue is for older machines which fail to read BEYOND 137G! So how would a smaller drive gets into this problem? Btw, my drive is 80GB.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

when i ry to download, it still downloads the Wubi-7.04-test2 file. where is the new wubi version?

Beans

There is still some problems about the NTFS boot sector code in GRLDR and GRLDR.MBR.

I think Bean123 will solve them for us. Please be patient.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by viralbug View Post
    when i ry to download, it still downloads the Wubi-7.04-test2 file. where is the new wubi version?
    You might have the page cached. When you see the white page, cancel the download and refresh the browser.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast