Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New Wubi version (test3) is out

Beans

Re: New Wubi version (test3) is out

hmmm your preseed works fine for me... I am installaing the base system right now and was not prompted anything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i tried installing test2 and strangely it didnt give any error. earlier it used get stuck at 33% but now it worked and didnt give the username error too. but somehow the system shut down in between the installation so couldnt complete it. will try it again.
    also the installation takes too much of time for me. normally it should take around 45mins-1hr but it takes a few hours for me.

Beans

Please use test3 or the latest minefield.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Red face Re: New Wubi version (test3) is out

Hello all this is my firt post.

I just wanted to quickly say that I'm thankful there are people out there that are willing to create new things for people who have no idea about this kind of technical stuff. THANKS

I installed TEST2, and ran into the 33% problem. Then I looked for help at the forums and ran into a thread, that lead me into this post. I installed TEST3 without any problems at all. Now I'm a happy user of Ubuntu and I will, once I get around to it, make a full conversion into UBUNTU.

I DO have one question though: I run a intel TOSHIBA labtop 256 RAM, 1.8 Ghz. Disk access is REALLLLY slow, and I mean: I log in, click on the firefox icon on the top left, and 3-4 min later it actually opens.

It's the same for any other application, specially OpenOffice, that takes like 10 min. Is this normal with my current system specs and Wubi? Any feedback is welcome.

And once again, AGO: you da man my friend! Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Rohen View Post
    I DO have one question though: I run a intel TOSHIBA labtop 256 RAM, 1.8 Ghz. Disk access is REALLLLY slow, and I mean: I log in, click on the firefox icon on the top left, and 3-4 min later it actually opens.
    There are generally 3 reasons for that:

* you are using swap a lot (that would really slow you down)
    * you have a very fragmented HD
    * we miss the driver that your machine may need (see the wubiguide on how to check DMA).

You can check the resource utilization with the system monitor to see if there is anything that takes abnormal resources. With your specs you might want to try Xubuntu.

How long did it take to do the installation? I am talking about the one with blue screens.

PS: wubi is the product of many people, not just me.

Beans
    Distro

Red face Re: New Wubi version (test3) is out

Gotcha, but you get my meaning. Gotta include the group! But out of curiosity how many people contributed?

And to be honest, I have no idea how long the installation took. I left the computer running and went out for a bit. I'll check with those tips and get back to you. Thanks.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Angry Re: New Wubi version (test3) is out

Ok,

So I ran Jkdefrag. Because I had already set the virtual disk smaller than 4GB, I assumed I didn't have to Uninstall and re-install.

Then I tried checking if my HD is running at full speed so I Shift+F2 hdparm -I /dev/sda. Nothing happened. I tried with:/dev/sda, /dev/hda, /dev/sdb, /dev/hdb. Still nothing happened.

So does this mean my HD isn't included?

SPECS
    HD: ATA
    Model: IC25N030ATCS04-4
    Firware: SCSI
    Filesystem: NTFS

As I'm writing this, the Labtop is using 150 RAM and 111 SWAP. That's a lot of SWAP right?! I only have Firefox and Thunderbird open. If that's the case I'll prob switch to my VAIO...

THANKS!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567