Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wubi version (test3) is out

Beans

Re: New Wubi version (test3) is out

Quote Originally Posted by yapel View Post
    Well, Test 3 fails to work on my IBM Thinkpad R40 in exactly the same way as Test 2, i.e. cannot find grldr! Any quick fix?
    Copy grldr on all partitions

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo99 View Post
    On my HP Pavillion zx5000 after removing the prior install and reinstalling using a 10gig virtual disk size the system hangs after "No RAID disks". Then it dumps a bunch of messages about:

Check root= bootarg cat /proc/cmdline
    or missing modules, devices: cat /proc/modules ls /dev
    ALERT! /media/hosts/wubi/install/install.virtual.disk does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

Then some info about busybox and then a shell prompt.

Upon looking at the c:\wubi\install the install.virtual.disk is there but it is only 100k.

I also see you created some metalink files for various Ubuntu flavors.
    I'll have a look later on today. In the meantime, when you are in the shell do

ls /media/host/wubi/install

and see if you can see the virtual disk. The 100K size is ok.

Beans

1) remove the share from the c: in XP.
    That might be the only point that makes a difference, the others should be irrelevant or maybe a simple reinstallation would have been sufficient anyway. PS There is no need to uninstall manually. Just run wubi again and it will give you an option to uninstall and backup the ISO.

The last time this happened it knocked my NTFS partition in the head
    Did you hardboot the last time? That can corrupt a file system. If you need to reboot the hard way see the alt+sysrq key combinations in linux.

I did an alt+ctrl+F2 and logged in at the terminal prompt. I then did a directory list. It showed a couple folders. So I then did a cd /media/host and did another directory list. It lists the files there. Shortly after it finished displaying the listing it dumps out a message about my broadcom wireless indicating "Error: Microcode "bcm43xx_microcode5.fw" not available for load failed."
    Use terminal 3 (ctrl+alt+f3), you can disregard the broadcom for now. Next time do not press ctrl+alt+backspace but only ctrl+alt+f3. Then you can debug by looking at the logs in /var/log or by using commands such as "ps ax". See what process is currenctly running. You can move across terminals with (ctrl+)alt+f#

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    Hi, I've done by your suggestion, copied grldr to all my partitions and successfully installed Ubuntu.

However, the process of the installation was wholly weird. I wonder is there anything else to be copied other that the grldr file?

First, although the "No GRLDR" problem was solved, but I found that the installer didn't detect my language setting when I installed Wubi. I chose Chinese (Traditional) first in the Wubi installer dialog, but in Ubuntu installer there was no choices corresponding to this, and I had to chose English to proceed and complete the installation.

Second, every time I boot with "Ubuntu", I got the error
    Code:
    [timestamp] hdd: error code: 0x70 sense_key:0x03 asc: 0x11 ascq 0x00
    [timestamp] Buffer I/O error on device hdd - logical block 3357322
    I've search for similar reports on the forum, but I wonder if this problem has to do with the GRLDR issue, so I mention this here too.

Third, after those hd and buffer I/O error are passed, during the booting of Ubuntu I also see (not exactly the original messages below):
    Code:
    Preparing local drives to...
    /media/host/wubi/disks/usr.virtual.disk No such file or ...
    /media/host/wubi/disks/extra.virtual.disk No such file or ...
    With these three major weird phenomena, my Ubuntu instance is kind of crippled now, because every package I install seems not to take effect, including language support I need, NVIDIA driver... so I stopped trying and am reporting here.

Please instruct me if anything above doesn't have to do with GRLDR issue

Thank you first for all the hard work!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MilchFlasche View Post
    First, although the "No GRLDR" problem was solved, but I found that the installer didn't detect my language setting when I installed Wubi.
    We'll look into that

[timestamp] Buffer I/O error on device hdd - logical block 3357322[/CODE]
    That might be due to a bad hard disk block

Preparing local drives to...
    /media/host/wubi/disks/usr.virtual.disk No such file or ...
    /media/host/wubi/disks/extra.virtual.disk No such file or ...
    You can ignore that

because every package I install seems not to take effect, including language support I need, NVIDIA driver... so I stopped trying and am reporting here.
    That's strange, do you have r/w access to the filesystem?

Beans

Hi,

I have tried to use the installer but when rebooting to continue I get a screen message stating that the username is incorrect. I cannot use the keyboard and nothing happens.

I used the installer on another computer and therre it says that some file is missing.

Not very good start for me.

Regards,

Beans

I also see you created some metalink files for various Ubuntu flavors.
    Nice to see all the progress on Wubi! I'm really glad metalink is getting used for repairable downloads.

I know Ubuntu Christian Edition would like to be included if possible. They use metalinks too and their's is at

http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.co.../download.html
    http://ubuntuce.ashburn.newlife4me.c...1.iso.metalink

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by antini View Post
    Nice to see all the progress on Wubi! I'm really glad metalink is getting used for repairable downloads.

I know Ubuntu Christian Edition would like to be included if possible. They use metalinks too and their's is at

http://www.whatwouldjesusdownload.co.../download.html
    http://ubuntuce.ashburn.newlife4me.c...1.iso.metalink
    We'd need an alternate iso metalink

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ago View Post
    But my HDD has only ONE partition! It used to have 2, but my IT removed the IBM-Service (i.e. recovery) since Day 1.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by samarita View Post
    I have tried to use the installer but when rebooting to continue I get a screen message stating that the username is incorrect. I cannot use the keyboard and nothing happens.
    it might be that your keyboard was not detected properly. Press alt+ctrl+F3 and try to type something

I used the installer on another computer and therre it says that some file is missing.
    can you provide more details?

Also what version were you using?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast