Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using Stata on Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Using Stata on Ubuntu

I haven't found xStata therefore I am using Stata with Wine on Ubuntu. It seems to work fine. But I was wondering whether there could be any potential problems or found problems. I am working on a project and don't want to jeopardize my work.

Thank you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: Using Stata on Ubuntu

What do you mean by "I haven't found xStata therefore I am using Stata with Wine on Ubuntu"? Stata has the linux version for the same price.

Running software on wine always have some issues. It is slower especially in graphics related work. And the next version might not work, or wine update may cause problem.

If you are using Stata for serious research, then running it on wine is a bad idea.

Beans

Install virtualbox or vmware and run a virtual machine with some of the *******s around. That will be trouble-free. I am trying to replace sigmaplot and sigmastat, but it is not easy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Stata rocks, but if you have already purchased it for *******, try using R. R is well-documented, and I cannot think of anything it cannot do. OK, the graphics aren't that great, but neither are the graphics in stata. There's my $0.02.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Has anyone installed Stata 10 on Ubuntu 8.04 and had xstata run smoothly?

The dynamically linked version did not work due to a libtiff missing package, but the statically linked one launches alright.

But the fonts are just awful. The GUI results display is impossibly slow and the fonts do not line up (are mistakenly proportional?) and text is overwritten on other text in the help window.

Stata claims this is not common. Really??

Have you had this problem? I think I've a pretty plain installation of Ubuntu 8.04 on an intel laptop, except that it's 64bit.
    latest release of Ubuntu on Lenovo X230T, Lenovo T410s, HP Mini, and Zareason Lightlap in Montréal, Canada

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Solutions to these various problems turned out to be:
    change font preferences to Courier 10pitch at 10pt. Then the xstata is fast and readable.

Make sure ~/.stata10 is not owned by root (mistake from installation process? Come on, Stata! You can do better), since having it so makes remembering preferences impossible.
    latest release of Ubuntu on Lenovo X230T, Lenovo T410s, HP Mini, and Zareason Lightlap in Montréal, Canada

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Okay. I just looked at the Stata site and it didn't list Ubuntu as an OS that can run Stata. So, does this mean that if I buy the linux version of Stata I will have problems?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

dynamically linked works fine. It looks for libtiff.so.3, but if you make a symbolic link the program works great. Here are the instructions for a ubuntu install. I first did this with hardy, but it works fine with intrepid

I have stata 10 installed on ubuntu and it works perfectly. Here is how I got it to run:

mkdir /usr/local/stata10
    cd /usr/local/
    chmod a+rx /usr/local/stata10
    cd /usr/local/stata10
    mkdir /tmp/statainstall
    cp -r /media/cdrom0 /tmp/statainstall
    /tmp/statainstall/cdrom0/install

follow prompts

now xstata-se doesn't run because it is looking for libtiff.so.3

This is old so make a symbolic link to your current version

ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3

now stata should run fine.

Quote Originally Posted by cpbl View Post
    Has anyone installed Stata 10 on Ubuntu 8.04 and had xstata run smoothly?

The dynamically linked version did not work due to a libtiff missing package, but the statically linked one launches alright.

But the fonts are just awful. The GUI results display is impossibly slow and the fonts do not line up (are mistakenly proportional?) and text is overwritten on other text in the help window.

Stata claims this is not common. Really??

Have you had this problem? I think I've a pretty plain installation of Ubuntu 8.04 on an intel laptop, except that it's 64bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I can confirm that Stata10 for Unix works fine in Linux Mint Felicia (which is derived from Ubuntu Intrepid).

Okay. I just looked at the Stata site and it didn't list Ubuntu as an OS that can run Stata. So, does this mean that if I buy the linux version of Stata I will have problems?
    I had a quick look at the Stata website too, and I think this page (http://www.stata.com/products/opsys.html#unix) is the one you saw. It says that Stata for Unix will run on:

Any 32-bit (x86 or compatible), or 64-bit (Intel Itanium, x86-64 or compatible) running Linux
    (emphasis mine)

So it runs on any Linux-based system, of which Ubuntu is just one. It doesn't list Ubuntu specifically, because there are so many. For the record, I've seen it working in Ubuntu, Fedora and Mint. For Ubuntu and Mint I encountered the libtiff.3.so problem but the fix that chrisby suggested worked perfectly. No other issues.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

These directions were fantastic! Thank you. A couple of comments.

First, I think it's worth point out that we have to be logged on as root to do this.

Second, there is a typo in the install line. cdrom0 shouldn't be there:
    /tmp/statainstall/install

Question - the last time I installed Stata for Linux I think I was able to update Stata (e.g., update all) without starting Stata as root. I don't remember how I got this to work. Does anybody know how to do this?

Thanks again - these instructions really should be available on the Stata website.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisby View Post
    dynamically linked works fine. It looks for libtiff.so.3, but if you make a symbolic link the program works great. Here are the instructions for a ubuntu install. I first did this with hardy, but it works fine with intrepid

I have stata 10 installed on ubuntu and it works perfectly. Here is how I got it to run:

mkdir /usr/local/stata10
    cd /usr/local/
    chmod a+rx /usr/local/stata10
    cd /usr/local/stata10
    mkdir /tmp/statainstall
    cp -r /media/cdrom0 /tmp/statainstall
    /tmp/statainstall/cdrom0/install

follow prompts

now xstata-se doesn't run because it is looking for libtiff.so.3

This is old so make a symbolic link to your current version

ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3

now stata should run fine.