Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Using Stata on Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Using Stata on Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ftballman125 View Post
    I'm trying to install Stata10 on 64-bit Ubuntu 11.04 and running into troubles. I tried using the same basic code I've had work on the 32-bit version, and it's not working well. The install and serial number verification go fine, and I have tried the various libtiff reassignments listed above, but nonetheless when I type "xstata" or "xstata-se" I get the reply "command not found".

Any help or a brief walk-through of what you guys have done to get it to work on 64-bit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Are you still using the 32-bit version of Stata on your 64-bit system? When I've tried to run 32-bit programs on 64-bit, these are the symptoms I get (says file not found even though it's there). You can look here for ways to get this to work if that is the problem: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/32bit_and_64bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks - just upgraded to 11.04. find libtiff.so did not return this one from the subfolder. Linked as you suggested and xstata is back up and running.

Beans

I just installed 11.10, 64 bit version.

I have created all of the proper links:

Code:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4.3.3 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0

but now I get this when I run xstata:

"GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cmfrtblynmb View Post
    but now I get this when I run xstata:

"GTK+ 2.x symbols detected. Using GTK+ 2.x and GTK+ 3 in the same process is not supported"
    I have performed the same steps and get the same.. I have it working fine in 11.04 but can't get it working in 11.10.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ctijacob View Post
    I have performed the same steps and get the same.. I have it working fine in 11.04 but can't get it working in 11.10.
    Hi,

Have you managed to get it working?

I am also using 11.10 64 bits. I had it almost working, but linking to the new libraries in Oneiric:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4.3.4
    instead of
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4.3.3

and to
    /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-3.0.so.0
    instead of
    /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0

It seems to work, but Stata crashes when I open the do file editor.

In 11.04 this was solved by installing libgtksourceview1.0-0
    however, it is not available from the Oneiric repos...

I have a machine on which I have upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10, and everything works fine. libgtksourceview1.0-0 is still present, so I guess this is the culprit...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AntoineT View Post
    Hi,

Have you managed to get it working?

I am also using 11.10 64 bits. I had it almost working, but linking to the new libraries in Oneiric:

/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4.3.4
    instead of
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4.3.3

and to
    /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-3.0.so.0
    instead of
    /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0

It seems to work, but Stata crashes when I open the do file editor.

In 11.04 this was solved by installing libgtksourceview1.0-0
    however, it is not available from the Oneiric repos...

I have a machine on which I have upgraded from 11.04 to 11.10, and everything works fine. libgtksourceview1.0-0 is still present, so I guess this is the culprit...

Okay, so in fact what I did (Oneiric 64 bits, Stata 11 64 bits) was:
    sudo ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libtiff.so.4.3.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3

sudo apt-get install libgtksourceview2.0-0

sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0 /usr/lib/libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0

sudo apt-get install libgnomeprint2.0-0

This is ok to get the GUI launched, but opening the do-file editor still crashes Stata...

Beans

This is ok to get the GUI launched, but opening the do-file editor still crashes Stata...
    OK, looking back at what I had quoted I suppose I should have examined it a little closer, I had linked libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0 to libgtksourceview-3.0.so.0.0.0, I suppose that this is why I was getting the error.. I had installed libgtksourceview2.0-0, removed my other link and recreated it pointing to the newly installed library and the GUI launches.

I'm able to open up data sets fine, I'm not doing any intense analysis as I'm a Soc major and we're not required to do much with our data but I created a blank .do file and it opened it w/o crashing.. let me know if there are any troubleshooting steps that you want me to perform to try to narrow down any issues. I currently have 11.04 and 11.10 so I can run in both and see if I get any different results as well.

Also, are you launching the program from terminal or a shortcut? If you're using something the shortcut in the app drawer, try launching it from terminal and see if any errors occur when it crashes.

Beans

OK, so I investigated this and I was having the same issue, here's how I resolved it..

While in Ubuntu 11.10, I opened the do file editor and it crashes with error:
    undefined symbol: gtk_source_buffer_set_check_brackets
    (viewed from terminal)

So, I rebooted in 11.04 to see if I had the same error there, sure enough, I just hadn't used to do file editor to even realize it. So, in 11.04:

'sudo apt-get install libgtksourceview1.0-0'

and this solved my issue.

Back to Ubuntu 11.10:
    I went into my other partition (11.04) and grabbed the libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0 and copied it to /usr/lib and launched STATA, still had the same issue, so I deleted the file (don't want to leave stuff there and it cause problems later)

I saw that you had done 'sudo apt-get install libgnomeprint2.0-0' and I had not, so I tried that to no avail:
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgnomeprint2.0-0'

I had copied the other packages installed when I installed libgtksourceview1.0-0 to a text file, so I investigated that and found: libgnomeprint2.2-0, so 'sudo apt-get install libgnomeprint2.2-0' and it was successful.

But now while launching stata I get:
    ./xstata: error while loading shared libraries: libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I saw that it was whining about libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0 (even though I have a symbolic link pointing elsewhere) so I copied
    libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0 from my 11.04 partition back into my /usr/lib directory and that seems to have resolved the issue.

I understand that this isn't an ideal workaround since you can just install libgtksourceview1.0-0 from the repos, but if you can get it elsewhere it may fix your issue.

If anyone else is having similar issues and needs a more in-depth how-to, just ask.. AntoineT just seems to know how to perform the aforementioned steps w/o greater detail.

Beans

OK, so I investigated this and I was having the same issue, here's how I resolved it..

While in Ubuntu 11.10, I opened the do file editor and it crashes with error:
    undefined symbol: gtk_source_buffer_set_check_brackets
    (viewed from terminal)
    Same here

So, I rebooted in 11.04 to see if I had the same error there, sure enough, I just hadn't used to do file editor to even realize it. So, in 11.04:

'sudo apt-get install libgtksourceview1.0-0'

and this solved my issue.

That's also how I did in 11.04

Back to Ubuntu 11.10:
    I went into my other partition (11.04) and grabbed the libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0 and copied it to /usr/lib and launched STATA, still had the same issue, so I deleted the file (don't want to leave stuff there and it cause problems later)

I saw that you had done 'sudo apt-get install libgnomeprint2.0-0' and I had not, so I tried that to no avail:
    E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'libgnomeprint2.0-0'

I had copied the other packages installed when I installed libgtksourceview1.0-0 to a text file, so I investigated that and found: libgnomeprint2.2-0, so 'sudo apt-get install libgnomeprint2.2-0' and it was successful.
    Indeed, libgnomeprint2.2-0 is in the dependencies of libgtksourceview1.0-0. But I'm not sure I understood, you were first unable to install it from the Oneiric repos?

But now while launching stata I get:
    ./xstata: error while loading shared libraries: libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

I saw that it was whining about libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0 (even though I have a symbolic link pointing elsewhere) so I copied
    libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0 from my 11.04 partition back into my /usr/lib directory and that seems to have resolved the issue.
    So, am I correct in saying that copying libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0 and libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0 to your Oneiric partition only worked after you installed libgnomeprint2.2-0 from the repos, but not before?

One last question, you are using the 64 bit versions, right? I was using 32 bits before, and I was given the link to this Statalist message http://www.stata.com/statalist/archi.../msg01297.html that seems to indicate that having Stata run in the 64 bits version was a tad harder than in 32 bits.

Antoine

Beans

Indeed, libgnomeprint2.2-0 is in the dependencies of libgtksourceview1.0-0. But I'm not sure I understood, you were first unable to install it from the Oneiric repos?
    I was unable to find libgnomeprint2.0-0 that you had mentioned, but noticed that libgnomeprint2.2-0 was installed when I installed libgtksourceview1.0-0 in 11.04, so I installed libgnomeprint2.2-0.

So, am I correct in saying that copying libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0 and libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0 to your Oneiric partition only worked after you installed libgnomeprint2.2-0 from the repos, but not before?
    libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0 I copied over from 11.04, libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0 I did not copy, it was a link that I *DID* have linked to libgtksourceview-2.0.so.0 just as you had in your earlier post, but when I just checked the link, it seems to have been redirected:

jacob@happylappy:/usr/lib$ ls -l | grep libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 2011-10-15 04:51 libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0 -> libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0

I would suspect that this should be done automatically sometime after downloading libgnomeprint2.2-0 and then copying libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0 into your library (since it was for me) but if you have problems you may want to check it to make sure.

And yes, this only worked after installing libgnomeprint2.2-0. When I tried to just copy the file over nothing happened.

One last question, you are using the 64 bit versions, right? I was using 32 bits before, and I was given the link to this Statalist message http://www.stata.com/statalist/archi.../msg01297.html that seems to indicate that having Stata run in the 64 bits version was a tad harder than in 32 bits.
    Yes, I am running the 64-bit versions.

I think that you're very close to having it running, pretty sure all you need to do is:

-sudo apt-get install libgnomeprint2.2-0
    -Copy libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0 into /usr/lib
    -Verify the link to libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0 points to your newly created libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0

It sounds like you do have 11.04 installed somewhere, but if you don't and can't find libgtksourceview-1.0.so.0.0.0 anywhere, I can email it to you if you give me your info.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast